Linux Configure Ubuntu to boot directly into XBMC
Hello,

I'm running xubuntu 13.04, but I'm having a hard time getting it to auto start in xbmc. I tried your suggestion, but I cannot find an auto start function to choose in "sessions and startup". I tried creating one, but I do not know what command to use. I tried lightdm and /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop, but neither work. I've tried everything from

Auto start XBMC

edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=xbmc
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=XBMC
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

edit /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=XBMC
Comment=This session will start XBMC Media Center
Exec=xbmc-standalone
TryExec=xbmc-standalone
Type=Application

Nothing works. I'm brand new to Linux so I'm probably doing something wrong. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Clif
Code:
sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Delete all the shit in there and paste this shit in there:

Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=xbmc
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=XBMC
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

Code:
sudo reboot
you are missing a [ before SeatDefaults]

and this assumes that your username on linux is "xbmc"
My lightdm already has exactly that in it and yes, my user name is xbmc. I've tried everything. Any more suggestions? Thanks everyone.
(2014-01-19, 21:11)cliffp Wrote: My lightdm already has exactly that in it and yes, my user name is xbmc. I've tried everything. Any more suggestions? Thanks everyone.

I am running Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64, I set it to automatically log into Ubuntu on startup.
I then installed XBMC via Official PPA

I have it set so that in the case of a shutdown, reboot, or crash my machine always automatically logs into the last environment that I logged out of. I have it set this way because I also use my NUC to do "real PC" stuff. So if I shutdown, or reboot from the xbmc desktop environment it always boots strait back into xbmc. If I exit xbmc and log into Ubuntu default unity and I shutdown, or reboot from there it will automatically log into unity until I log it out and back into xbmc. This is because of my settings and the fact that I log into Unity and XBMC using the same user. The only thing I can think of is there is an outside force script/setting that is conflicting with your lightdm.conf

This is how my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf is set.

Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=myusernamehere
autologin-user-timeout=0
autologin-session=lightdm-autologin
greeter-show-remote-login=false
Hi,
Did you ever get this resolved on xubuntu. I prefer this to dual booting. G
Right, listen up.

I am using linux mint (based on ubuntu) but I swear I did this in vanilla ubuntu as well.

Go to your system settings > login screen > options > default session drop down

Select xbmc

In auto login on the same window, make sure your user logs in automagically.

I'm a total linux noob, but from what I can tell, there is no xserver being started up. If you want to jump back to the desktop, simply quit xbmc, it will take you back to the login page, and on that page there is a little settings cog that will let you select gnome (Cinnamon in my case) and you can access the desktop, wanna go back? reboot or log out and select xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configure Ubuntu to boot directly into XBMC0