• 4(current)
[PATCH] Philips Ambilight-like RGB-Output on SmartXX
Topfs2 Wrote:Yeah I believe that aswell, because my testing is the same with boblight in most part in usual watching with just avereging the screen you get mostly white. We definatly need an algorithm that will exagerate the colors lost more so the feeling of ambilight is better percieved.

Boblight needed much tweaking for me (my dealextreme leds seemed to have a reddish tint with white on the screen)
However after a night of fine tuning the values in boblight.conf I have managed to get a really nice output that doesn't just say mostly white..

I have to thank bob for such an awesome application Wink

Personally I prefer the fact that the leds go off (although mine tend to sometime go dark green) when the screen goes black.. it creates an awesome effect in a dark room.
I'll try to post a vid later to show how good boblight looks!
Most of the time when the screen goes black, it's not real black, this happens a lot with compressed video.
I've implemented a threshold parameter for this in the next version of boblight, whenever all subpixels of a pixel are below a certain value, the pixel is treated as a black pixel.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Most of the time when the screen goes black, it's not real black, this happens a lot with compressed video.
I've implemented a threshold parameter for this in the next version of boblight, whenever all subpixels of a pixel are below a certain value, the pixel is treated as a black pixel.

hi there, I implemented what you described above in my patch, too, to avoid that problem with dark screens (I also called it Threshold, scary huh? Wink ). However, are you satisfied with this threshold thing? In my implementation I noticed, that I had to set the threshold to a quite high value to avoid the LED problem and so I intriduced a noticeable "break" when the screen going black. I'm thinking of sort of "inverting" the algorithm and just ignore all pixels below a certain value (this of course means, that the LEDs will never turn off what again is Philips Ambilight behaviour). In February I'll do some improvements to the xbmc patch again, and then I'll test that and report.

cheers
dave-o
Topfs2 Wrote:Yeah I believe that aswell, because my testing is the same with boblight in most part in usual watching with just avereging the screen you get mostly white. We definatly need an algorithm that will exagerate the colors lost more so the feeling of ambilight is better percieved.

hi there, as a starting point you might be interested in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_histogram

I try to implement something on base of that for xbox and report here.

cheers
dave-o
I've already got something like that implemented in boblight, it's based on hue, if for example a part of the screen is blue, and another part is red, the lights will be purple if an averaging algorithm is used, with the median algorithm (that's what I called it) the lights are either blue or red, depending on the dominant hue.

I can't say I like it though.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Most of the time when the screen goes black, it's not real black, this happens a lot with compressed video.

Sounds good!

I managed to get around to taking a quick video of The Dark Knight this evening, unfortunatley some of the colours just don't come through on my digital camera in video mode.. but it does look great in person! Smile

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lZpe7UhucU4

Thanks for your hard work bob!

edit :- I agree with your view on the Median algorithm, when I tried it would be watching stuff and thinking why the hell are the lights that colour?!? Then I would remember it was basically mixing the colours.. for some reason it just looks odd when watching videos as you expect the colour of the light to be present on the screen.
here's my setup:

Ikea Dioder + AtmoLight v0.3b + Boblight 1.3 + X11 Client (just setup as 1 channel in this video)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hNYtuJ_HgGo&fmt=18
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I am trying to apply this patch to XBMC. Do I need to apply the last patch or all four of them. Also I tried to apply patch 1 but it gave alot of conflicts.
thepita Wrote:I am trying to apply this patch to XBMC. Do I need to apply the last patch or all four of them. Also I tried to apply patch 1 but it gave alot of conflicts.

I used the last patch and got it working. However now when I play a dvd it pops up a screen showing how many tracks, subtitles, etc are on the disc when that goes away you have to click play dvd again otherwise it wont load. Also its skipping dvd menus for some reason. I checked the mods I did but i followed them exactly. I think it might be an issue with trying to use a older patch with a newer build.
hi, you only need to apply the last patch.
if you had conflicts, you probably also changed something else on your source, cause I'm having no conflicts here, when applying the patch. Maybe you should try to check out a clean wc of the trunk and try applying the patch onto that wc, if your problem then still exists, I have to look at the code (but I _really_ can't imagine, that this problem is related to the patch).
Anyway, Im working on a new patch for improved color calculation these days, so maybe you just wanna wait a little and try whether the new patch works out better for you.

cheers
dave-o
lagwagon667 Wrote:hi, you only need to apply the last patch.
if you had conflicts, you probably also changed something else on your source, cause I'm having no conflicts here, when applying the patch. Maybe you should try to check out a clean wc of the trunk and try applying the patch onto that wc, if your problem then still exists, I have to look at the code (but I _really_ can't imagine, that this problem is related to the patch).
Anyway, Im working on a new patch for improved color calculation these days, so maybe you just wanna wait a little and try whether the new patch works out better for you.

cheers
dave-o

yea I'll just wait. Im waiting for my Ikea dioder to come in anyway. Already starting building the box to power em
lagwagon667 i sent you a pm i need some help with the watts for the project.

Thanks
Hi there, just wanted to say that work is in progress right now. I am currently using the HSV color space, to create a histogram over the hue channel, and even with ignoring saturation und value right now, I believe the colors are still better as with the old average method. However, there's still lots of work to do until I can release a new patch, but what I have done so far aims into the right direction, I think.
I'm also implementing a new function based on the pwmcolor python fade / fadeloop etc. functions to change the color smoothly which results in a less prompt reaction to the picture on the screen, but therefore achieves a more calm backlight which is in my opinion more comfortable to watch.

cheers
dave-o
lagwagon667 Wrote:Hi there, just wanted to say that work is in progress right now. I am currently using the HSV color space, to create a histogram over the hue channel, and even with ignoring saturation und value right now, I believe the colors are still better as with the old average method. However, there's still lots of work to do until I can release a new patch, but what I have done so far aims into the right direction, I think.
I'm also implementing a new function based on the pwmcolor python fade / fadeloop etc. functions to change the color smoothly which results in a less prompt reaction to the picture on the screen, but therefore achieves a more calm backlight which is in my opinion more comfortable to watch.

cheers
dave-o

Great work so far. I have the power box built just waiting on IKEA dioders to come in. Im currently using patch 4 and its not to bad so I cant wait to see how this new patch looks. GREAT WORK!!!
I got the ikea dioders today. its working great. ill have a video up soon once it gets dark outside. Also Im watching transformers right now and some of the colors are a bit jumpy and dont fit.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Philips Ambilight-like RGB-Output on SmartXX1