Sound no longer working
If it doesn't work anywhere, then please goto ubuntu forums to see if they can help you.

Thanks!
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Haggy Wrote:xnappo: I also run spdif only, but i have xbmc audio out set to plughw:0,1 (which is my iec959 device) and passthrough set to iec958. That way incompatible samples (non 44.1/48Khz) get converted and sound plays also fine for youtube for example. ac3 goes directly through the iec958 device so it can be decoded by the avr.

i had that weird bug only once - and 'iecset audio on' fixed it for me.

Thanks Haggy, if it happens again I will try the 'iecset audio on'. Sorry to go off topic - but does 'output to all speakers' work for you with MP3s?

xnappo
Output stereo to all speakers is only for xbox iirc.

You should be able to accomplish what you want with a customer .asoundrc file.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
tslayer Wrote:Output stereo to all speakers is only for xbox iirc.

You should be able to accomplish what you want with a customer .asoundrc file.

Thanks - you actually already told me that here Blush

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ght=output

Unfortunately I tried the .asound suggestions in the Ubuntu post you linked and it messed up other stuff so I was wondering if Haggy had it working. If anyone does have this working, please move discussion to the thread above.

xnappo
[Edit: Sorry, missed the part where you asked for the discussion to move. Can a mod delete this?]
xnappo Wrote:Unfortunately I tried the .asound suggestions in the Ubuntu post you linked and it messed up other stuff so I was wondering if Haggy had it working.

Honestly, i never tried that because i don't like it. IMHO music has to be played as meant by the artist: In stereo Smile But you may try the 'surround51' or 'surround40' plug device alsa created for you.
Hi again

well it turns out that i did have sound but just digital and the only solution that worked for me is the .asoundrc by tslayer. The thing is if i remove the rc file after a reboot the sound is lost again..Sad if i leave it it seems to work after a reboot..i understood it can cause problems if its left in the home dir...how big of an issue is this?

thx again

Zeltak
Hi ^^
I'm having a probleme with sound too
I got sound only with root user.
Seem to be a probleme with alsa ....
I've tried to chmod 666 /dev/snd/*, added user to audio groupe and .asoundrc but no sound at all.

I'am using a p5kpl-am (intel g31) with latest svn xbmc

debug line from my user:
ERROR: Initialize - pcm_open_lconf, alsa error: -2 - No such file or directory

thks for this great apps Smile
Ced2911: As you generally have no sound (or only with the root user), you might be better off asking for help in the ubuntu forums or whatever distro you're using. this is not an xbmc issue as with the other guys.
it's just happen with xbmc not with mplayer or vlc Confused but i will try Smile
thanks
Sorry i misunderstood that. If it's only in xbmc, please enable debug logging and paste your entire debug log to http://pastebin.com. Then show us the url here.
tslayer Wrote:I've had this where only digital audio would output and NOT analog (still out of spdif).

What I usually do to fix in my scenario is:

0) Stop XBMC
1) Create a file in your home directory called .asoundrc that contains the following single line: pcm.!default spdif
2) Run: speaker-test -c 2
3) If you hear sound, you can stop.
4) Remove .asoundrc
5) Restart XBMC

Try that...

Thanks a lot for this, audio playback was broken 1 day after installing Ubuntu, only DD/DTS worked :p
davidw Wrote:
Code:
# rename /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
sudo mv /etc/init.d/alsa-utils /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.x
# reboot your system
reboot
# rename /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.x back to /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
sudo mv /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.x /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
#start the alsamixer and activate iec958 output
alsamixer

Thank you so much!! I was just about to go back to Windows out of frustration until I found this solution.

Like a previous poster, the .asoundrc solution only worked for me until I rebooted. This solution seems to be working great even after a reboot.

Now I can keep my Ubuntu install!
I've had similar problems mentioned here, however none of the suggested fixes have solved it for me Sad.

System specs: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DSH, 2.8GHz Intel c2d, Xbox Live 8.10, Kingston 4 gig USB drive.

All sound is output through the spdif to my amp, graphics goes to my plasma using hdmi.

At initial boot I had no sound unless I played directly from DD/DTS sources such as .mkv files, no menu sound, no mp3 sound etc. After doing the alsa-util substitution, rebooting and running alsamixer and activating iec958. After this I got sound in the menu and mp3, but the sound is distorted. In the menu it is lagging, sometimes not playing at all, sometimes all "at once". In mp3 or similar coded files the sound is stuttering, and has like a wave of distorsions coming and going ~every 4 seconds or so.

Even if I try the speaker-test setup I here sound, but the wave of distorsions are also there. The same sounds if I use the analogue output and listens with my headphones. I have set the default audio output to iec958.

I am running out of ideas to try, anyone knows what to do?
If you have distortion using speaker-test, head on over to linux/ubuntu forums and post your issues as it doesn't sound XBMC related.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound no longer working2