ASUS Eee Box with Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics as a XBMC hardware platform?
Question 
anyone using it? Looks like a great solution if you don't want 1080p. Online reviews seems to agree it will play 720p just fine.

$350, small enough to mount to the back of a display, wireless...GMA 950 with opengl 1.4 support...my only question is the atom 1.6 GHz processor up to 720p?

Originally I thought they were offering a linux 160 GB HD combo but can't seem to find it anywhere.

for $350 I would love for this to work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883220002
It's a lovely little thing but I wouldn't recommend an Atom for 720p. It can play 720p in most cases I think but it will definitely be struggling.
It sounds a little lean to me too, but engadget has a review with video of it running 720p. not sure of the bit rate, and it is running in windows...but a guy can dream.

engadget review

my parents have been on my case to build them a media center for their RV, might just give this a shot
That's under windows, probably with GPU offloading or corecodec.
rodalpho Wrote:That's under windows, probably with GPU offloading or corecodec.

Doubtful, the gma950 only has mpeg2 acceleration and corecodec will only benefit on a multicore cpu.
I am creating my eeeBox right now. I just got XBMC loaded and I just shot some 720p video and it played just fine. The thing is that my eeeBox is a little bit modified. I put 2 gig of RAM and a 64gig OCZ Core SSD in it. This thing is fast, at least it feels fast. I am not having any issues playing my .ISO and .AVI collection. From what I understand the ATOM processor uses some sort of hyperthreading, wheras a processor like the C7 is litterally a single core - at least that is how i understand it. When I look at the procs in system monitor, it shows 2 Big Grin
Yeah, that's hyperthreading. It really handles 720p h.264 encoded video? That's pretty sweet!
rodalpho Wrote:Yeah, that's hyperthreading. It really handles 720p h.264 encoded video? That's pretty sweet!

i dont have much 720p content. My video camera does 720p and the video clip that I created with it played just fine.
Recently posted on engadget. Plays 720p but battles with 1080p. Still even it only handles 720p it would look great under your HDTV!

Would be interested to know if anyone is looking into getting this for XBMC
One BIG problem though. No spdif = No DD 5.1 sound.
Biggest deal breaker for me.
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
Apparently the lineout has spdif similar to laptop headphone setups. So it does have optical out.
are you sure ? if that is great news. Would be nice to have on my Asus EEE 901.
yeah. A few sites mention it. Same thing with my laptop. Didn't realise it had optical out until I plugged an optical jack in there Wink
If the price is right when they launch here in sweden i´ll get one and replace my XBOX.
I dont game on it any longer anyway so.

Xbmc works great on my EEE 901. I dont need more then 720p at the moment so its all good Big Grin
Are you getting 720p on the 901?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASUS Eee Box with Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics as a XBMC hardware platform?0