Are FanArt Backdrops limited to library-mode only?
kraqh3d Wrote:of course. theoretically, anything is possible, someone just needs to code it to do so. xbmc intentionally doesn't rely on the videodb when in video file mode. this was a design choice. and this is a choice i stand behind.

I am not asking to murk the water by calling some library functions from file mode but rather add a little function call to

-check for the presence of a movie.nfo file (like it currently checks for the presence of a movie-fanart.Huh file)
-load a movie.nfo xml file (if it exists and checks for correct xml of course) using probably existing xml load functions...)
- assign the obtained xml_values to ListItem.property(xml_token) as present in the file (like <genre>Action / Adventure</genre> would become
ListItem.property(nfo_genre) -> "Action / Adventure")

This way, it is up to skinner/users to use or not this functionality.

Quote: if you're using files mode, then xbmc should be nothing more than a dumb file browser.

The way I see it, this is still "dumb file browsing" and I bet it would take less memory that loading up the library (for the ones who don't want to use it)

I understand that this would require some programmers to make this modification. I am not sure where to start to ask something like this.
Maybe some developer forums or a developer/team who would review consider such a enhancement ?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction as I have no clue where to start...

Wink
i posted this earlier which is exactly what you're looking for...

Quote:though, this could be possible in video files mode in the same way its done in music files mode. in music files, if you enable "id3 tag reading" in settings, every time you enter a folder, you'll get a popup dialog while xbmc reads all the metadata tag information from the files. the same approach could be done for videos except that it would look for nfo files, and load the data if its xml based.

basically, after the directory contents are loaded, xbmc runs through all the items and looks for matching .nfo files. if found, load the content, and populate the video tag information.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
kraqh3d Wrote:i posted this earlier which is exactly what you're looking for...

though, this could be possible in video files mode in the same way its done in music files mode. in music files, if you enable "id3 tag reading" in settings, every time you enter a folder, you'll get a popup dialog while xbmc reads all the metadata tag information from the files. the same approach could be done for videos except that it would look for nfo files, and load the data if its xml based.

Sorry but I am very confused now. Are you suggesting that this could be done right now without additional programming ?

"this could be possible" tells me it is not available right now...

Enable tag reading is enabled in the Settings/Music/Files/ section
not sure what to do with track naming template patterns...
of course using $INFO[ListItem.Genre] in MyVideos.xml does not work

If I look at the wiki, they say the only tags available for the music are:
Template ID3 Tag
%N TrackNumber
%S DiscNumber
%A Artist
%T Title
%B Album
%G Genre
%Y Year
%F FileName
%D Duration
%J Date
%R Rating
%I File Size

Maybe if there was an option to "Enable tag reading" in Settings/Video/Files section, it would make sense... but that involves programming right ?

If you could give me a concrete settings setup/example of $INFO[listitem.Huh] I would be forever grateful !

Thanks
Why are there 15 threads about the same damn subject :p

No, it cannot be done at the moment. It requires more programming. It will not be done by me at least the way you anticipate. See the other threads on this matter for my comments and how I see it going. Others may disagree - let's get some ideas that will really work for all and then we can look to implement them after the feature freeze is lifted.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Why are there 15 threads about the same damn subject :p

No, it cannot be done at the moment. It requires more programming. It will not be done by me at least the way you anticipate. See the other threads on this matter for my comments and how I see it going. Others may disagree - let's get some ideas that will really work for all and then we can look to implement them after the feature freeze is lifted.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Sorry Jon, the discussion started here about backdrop and quickly turned into nfo movie info. As it went, it appeared that the dev forums were a better place to discuss this.

Can someone please close this one and refer to the other one? Thanks

PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION ON THIS THREAD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are FanArt Backdrops limited to library-mode only?0