HOW-TO write Media Info Scrapers - Scraper creation for dummies
(2012-04-19, 07:36)akuiraz Wrote: Is there a replacement for scrap.exe as it seems to be retired? anything to make editing and testing the scraper along the way would be extremely helpful... i'm on windows. thanks in advance.
(2012-12-31, 13:10)DiMag Wrote: The likn to your tool to test scrapers, reported on page 1, is dead. As it is perhaps the most useful tool to any would-be scraper developer, can you update it/provide an alternative?

Use this one:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145204

Did my first ever scraper yesterday. The tool was invaluable
Has there been a scraper written yet with an auto update/refresh option? Say you scroll through your movie list, and stop on a movie, after a set time (say 5 or 10 seconds, can be set in the options) the scraper kicks in an does a refresh on that highlighted movie/show. There can be an option to get metadata locally only, or internet only so no user interaction is required for the refresh to occur.

Perhaps it can refresh other items in that movie list too when idle in the menu as to not use cpu cycles while users are scrolling around and stops after user interaction happens. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong thread, but I was curious if one exists that does this yet?
I'm totally new at this and trying to learn how to create a scraper for some soccer events, the guide seems very thoughtful and I appreciate all the hard work put into it, but as a dummy (HTML editing is about my limit) I am finding it a little bit difficult to use.

- Some of the links are outdated (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Scrap gets redirected) with the guide being six years old.
- I've noticed a piece of syntax is using a ) rather than a > so if there are others wrong I probably won't spot the problem.
- Also the use of a Spanish scraper in chapter two baffles me even further with coping with the change in language.

Is there an updated/reworked version of this guide available at all or any other resources that could help me figure everything out?

Thanksss
(2008-08-27, 13:41)pko66 Wrote: Tool to test scrapers: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Scrap (Download NOW both files, scrap.exe & libcurl.dll)
is there any similar tool to test scrapers on Mac?

Upd. ScraperEdit (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145204) works on Mac. Suggest to update the wiki/post.
Where are the existing scrapers stored?

Forgive me if i'm blind and or stupid but I can't see this written anywhere. A search for *craper gives me:

/home/<user>/.xbmc/temp/scrapers
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/xbmc.metadata/scraper.xsd

Neither of which seem to be what i'm looking for: the temp scrapers folder seems to just be the return result of the scraper and the XSD is a schema?
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/

and those are only the initial shipped version. any update end up in userdata
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-09-11, 11:16)Martijn Wrote: /usr/share/xbmc/addons/

and those are only the initial shipped version. any update end up in userdata

Ah! Thanks Martijn. Now for the hard part... Smile
I am very new to this and apologize if the question is wrong. I read this comment in the first post:

Quote:CreateSearchUrl must generate (into buffer 3) the URL that will be used to get the listing of possible movies. To do that, you need the name of file selected to be scraped and that is stored by XBMC in buffer 1.

I have looked at some scraper code as example and they always seem to use buffer 1 aka $$1 to form the URL. Buffer 1 always seems to contain the file name - somewhat stripped - at this point. I wonder, is there a way to pass the containing folder name instead - is that information maybe held in a different default buffer?

The reason I'm curious about this is the setting in Kodi for video sources "Movies are in separate folder that match the movie title". It seems to me that passing the folder title like "Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)" would greatly reduce the margin for error when files are not named correctly. Otherwise that setting for folders doesn't make much sense to me. But that is not what I wanted to discuss in this place, I'm merely curious about the technial / programming aspect here.
I wasn't exactly sure which section to put this in. I have a section for cartoons, anime, and movies. I have the movies and tv shows set up where they will continue and show the in progress series. But, I wan't the in-progess scraper to only show in progress series for each section (i.e. in progress anime only in the anime section). Right now it is mixing my regular tv shows with my anime and cartoons. I saw that there is a create custom widget in titan but have not been able to figure our how to get the scraper to separate them. Is there a way to do that?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO write Media Info Scrapers - Scraper creation for dummies1