Blank Screen on Tiger
Hello,

Quite a noob here on installing XBMC on MAC.
However downloaded the latest Atlantis (XBMC_for_Mac_Atlantis.mpkg) decided to give it a try.
Installation did not give any error on my MAC mini except when I open Application I get nothing else than a blank Xbox Media Center window.

An install guide would be very much appreciated..

I'm running 10.4 on a Intel Mini MAC. (I know about the progress on Leopard but I still running tiger so I need a solution for it)

no xbmc.log files found.. ?

Appreciate all guidelines I can get.

Regards,
Addition:

No files found under /skin
No files found under /system

How should the file structure look like once it's been installed ?

Regards,
You should get;

/Applications/XBMC.app
/Library/Application Support/XBMC

and when XBMC.app starts it will create

/Users/<username./Library/Application Support/XBMC

when the installer asked for admin permission, did you grant it?

this is alpha4, correct?
Hi again,

Hmm.. retried the install and made sure that I had the atlantis_a4 package.
I dowloaded what site recommended as the latest file in the xbmc.org (XBMC_for_Mac_Atlantis_a4.zip)

Unpacking the file in the MAC and starting the install package looks fine I get a window that shows the process of the installation as well as I'm requested to enter the admin passw to get the stuff installed.

Once it's finnished I have an icon on the
Application/XBMC Media Center
/Library/Application Support/XBMC

But still a blank window as soon as i start the app.
I also try to change the name in the application/XBMC media center(file info) So that it was only XBMC.app
Still nothing only blank screen..
And no skin or files under the /skin and /system ?..

How do you make sure you have uninstalled all of the files from atlantis ?
Will only delete all catalogs/files do the job ?
When I try a clean install it says that I'm upgrading.. ?

Sorry If I don't make any sence, but Im quite confuse myself here.. Wink

Giving XBMC a try on my Intel MAC mini with 10.4 tiger.

Regards,
Something strange going on for sure.

post the contents of "/var/log/install.log" to a pastebin site (http://pastebin.com/) and post the URL here so I can take a look at what the installer did.
Ok I've pasted it hope it's there..

http://pastebin.com/m208ced61

Regards,
Install log is filled with

0 kilobytes installed

When the installer start it will ask for admin priv. You should have entered your password. Did you do this or just dismiss the dialog asking for admin priv?
Yeep,
I'm quite sure I give correct admin password

Yesterday follwing your guides I look thrue the files.
I found that under the /Library/Application Support/XBMC there where actually existing and copied files while under /Users/juro//Library/Application Support/XBMC missing files.

Since you told me that this is created when you start the Application. I decided to delete the entire folder XBMC folder under /Users/juro//Library/Application Support and re-run the application for creating this again.

Also one more thing all this time I never had a screen connected to the MAC-mini (manage it most of the time via VNC) its supposed to be connected to my projector. However I decided to hook it up to the projector again and work on it from there.
After done the steps above (deletion of the XBMC folder under /Users/juro//Library/Application Support/ and re-running the application "Kaboom"
the PM-III window came up nicely.

I not sure if it was due to the connection of a physical screen or the re-run of XBMC.app that did the job. I will test again more if I can reproduce the issue. I also can see the XBMC nicely now remotely using VNC..

Regards,

#Sep 1 23:19:35 juros-dator : XBMC for Mac Installation Log
#Sep 1 23:19:35 juros-dator : Opened from: /Users/juro/Desktop/XBMC_for_Mac_Atlantis_a4.mpkg
#Sep 1 23:19:35 juros-dator : Distribution: XBMC for Mac
#Sep 1 23:19:35 juros-dator : Installation checks completed successfully.
#Sep 1 23:20:25 juros-dator : admin auth received to install
#Sep 1 23:20:25 juros-dator : ================================================================================
That's great it's working now.

If you can repeat the error, that might help figure out what when wrong the first time.

I also VNC in to my MacMini so if you can find the pattern to reproduce the error, I might be able to find the problem.
Hi,

I was able to reproduce the blank screen issue by simply disconnecting my projector leaving the MAC mini with no screen connected.

Do you have a screen permanently on yours ?
yes, it goes to my 1080p display via DVI -> HDMI.

Strange your MacMini boots without a display connected. Mine will not but it's one of the first Intel versions (1.6GHz Core Duo, not Core2 Duo). I'll re-test this again.
Actually I never touch the Mini much so it's pretty much all time on playing music from Itunes and so.
Never tested to boot it with out screen on..
The projector is connected on a need basis.. Meaning when Im about to look on a film or so.

My Mini is the old one same as yours.. I guess it wont boot up either with out a screen connected.. However when I tested XBMC i did not had one on..

By the way XBMC kick ass compare to front row Big Thx for your great work..
Trying to learn to navigate around it now and it's a bit different whithout the
buttons from XBOX.. Wink

Regards,
geko35 Wrote:Actually I never touch the Mini much so it's pretty much all time on playing music from Itunes and so.
Never tested to boot it with out screen on..
The projector is connected on a need basis.. Meaning when Im about to look on a film or so.

My Mini is the old one same as yours.. I guess it wont boot up either with out a screen connected.. However when I tested XBMC i did not had one on..

By the way XBMC kick ass compare to front row Big Thx for your great work..
Trying to learn to navigate around it now and it's a bit different whithout the
buttons from XBOX.. Wink

Regards,

Was this ever resolved? I also have a Mac Mini (OS X 10.5) that I use via VNC ... same symptom (blank XBMC screen).
johnfsca Wrote:Was this ever resolved? I also have a Mac Mini (OS X 10.5) that I use via VNC ... same symptom (blank XBMC screen).

Does your Mac Mini have a display attached and powered on ? MacMini's have a quirk where the display connector needs to be actually connected to a display or faked, or you will not have a fgx running. I've seen similar issues with it booted under Windows and running remote desktop to it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blank Screen on Tiger0