Some folders just not visible?
I'm completely lost here...is this just a weird bug in the SVN rev that I happened to grab?

I'm running SVN revision 15309
2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(Ubuntu 8.04)

When I try to browse to my music folder, only one folder is visible...that's 'Playlists'. I have hundreds of other folders by artist name and none of those appear. The permissions are fine (they are the same on the playlists folder as they are on the other folders).

I have other folders on the same drive that contain videos and they work fine.

I can't see the folders in question from anywhere in XBMC....browsing through Add Source, navigating from a higher level folder that is already a source...or using the file manager.

I've tried removing .xbmc and that doesn't help....I also tried from another user (just for shits and giggles) and that doesn't help.

My only guess is that the problem has something to do with the fact that the files are on an NTFS file system...but other programs can see them fine.

The weird thing is...if I create a symlink on the same filesystem to an individual artist's folder then I can see and navigate to the symlink in its new parent.

I've also tried renaming the parent folder ('Music') and that doesn't help.

I'm going to rebuild from the latest SVN now to see if that helps (15325).

Here is my debug log
http://pastebin.com/m2b9812da

PS: The reason I'm using SVN instead of the latest release is that the latest release seems to have a problem with x86_64...I just get a black screen.
rev 15325 didn't help

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
If I rename one of the artists folders to something else, then it shows up.

It looks like there is some residual information somewhere related to an earlier scan, but I don't know what or where. I can't imagine what would make the folders just not show up in the view....but something seems to know the names of the ones to filter.

I checked the .db files in /usr/local/share/xbmc/Database and in ~/.xbmc with a Sqlite browser and didn't see anything that contained a list of folder names.
There is no residual information held when all you are doing is browsing by filesystem.

If it doesn't show up in the normal files sections, then there's something inherent with the filesystem itself which is at fault. I suspect it may be thinking they're hidden files - there's a setting you can toggle somewhere for this I think?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the reply

Turns out the problem was caused by a bad symlink in the folder.

The name of the folder was 'music' and there was a symlink to that folder in the folder itself. I know how stupid that sounds considering the symptoms I had, but as soon as I removed that symlink the problem went away.

Considering you have to have bad data to cause that behavior, is it worth filing a bug report? I can duplicate it...but I don't have an explanation for why the 'playlist' folder is visible when the others aren't.
Most strange. Yes, if you can reproduce it, please post a bug report on trac with the full details and we'll see if we can reproduce as well.

Oh, and welcome to the forums Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Done, thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some folders just not visible?0