Has "XBMC for Mac" been renamed to "Plex"?
Question 
I'm confused here. Can someone clarify?
http://lifehacker.com/5044004/plex-xbmc-...h-new-skin

The link explains my confusion.
Yet another reason why bloggers in no way should be regarded as journalists or reporters (not that the "old school" media is any better in this regard!) Said blogger got all the main details wrong in this "article". Fortunately, the comments correct things somewhat, though I suspect this will be mostly ignored.

XBMC for Mac is what you download from xbmc.org, the site you are on.

Plex is a fork from our codebase, which obviously you'll want to go elsewhere for.

I personally suggest sticking with XBMC for Mac.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

XBMC for Mac (OSXBMC) was forked into Plex a while ago. The development of XBMC for Mac has continued here after the fork and now includes running under 10.4 as well as 10.5.

The author of the article is confused and needs a cluestick applied Wink
Its the result of uninformed people making assumptions and then posting them on major sites

No XBMC for Mac has not been renamed Plex, Plex is a different forked application that uses XBMC as its code base.

And BTW that topic was all about Plex being so great now that it uses More stuff that was originally made and designed for XBMC. So I guess that means XBMC is greater still Tongue
jmarshall Wrote:I personally suggest sticking with XBMC for Mac.

I'm using Plex on my Mac Mini and i'm very happy with it... Could you give me some good reason's why i should choose XBMC for Mac over Plex?
Sure, as you wish. Here are just some of the reasons:

1. Better community support.
2. Faster bug fixes and faster development of new features.
3. Better codebase due to multiple platform support.

The most important reason is that the developers of XBMC know it best. Many of us have worked on it for years and thus know the code inside and out. This means if you have a query we are much more likely to know the answer - and not just the answer but why the answer is what it is, and what it would take to alter the answer.

Another reason is we operate as transparently as possible. You can check our SVN at anytime and grab the code and it will have the changes as they happen. No need to wait for someone else to release it if you don't want to. You are free to do daily builds if you wish, or others are free to do up daily or weekly builds for you if you don't wish to install xcode.

Feel free to browse xbmc.org/trac and checkout our roadmaps, milestones, and timeline to get an idea of how active we are. I'll leave it to you to do the same with whatever Plex offers.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

t029248 Wrote:I'm using Plex on my Mac Mini and i'm very happy with it... Could you give me some good reason's why i should choose XBMC for Mac over Plex?

Could you tell us what you love so much about Plex? Perhaps we're missing a feature. If it's just the look that you enjoy, then you can download the very same skin, which was originally made for XBMC before the fork and use it in XBMC for Mac. If it's the logo you enjoy, then stick with Plex. For now they're basically the same. Give it a few years and you might see one or the other inch ahead. It's like ATI/Intel. Intel invented x86, but the two work exactly the same.
XBMC for Mac is available for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), Plex is Leopard only.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC#Forks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forking

XBMC is also a much larger community and have many more developers than Plex.

Here is the story/stories (history) behind the Plex fork:
http://xbmc.org/blog/2008/05/22/the-os-x...-the-code/
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33463
http://elan.plexapp.com/2008/05/21/exodus/
Small things

I quickly compared the both of them and i couldn't find many differences, those i found where small. With Plex Mac commando's like Cmd-F work and the Power On/Off has the very useful (sleep System option)

In XBMC i like that typing information for smb / lastfm the extra popup is not needed anymore but that i can type directly (without a onscreen keyboard)

I think the Plex project deserves all the support and some competition between the orginal XBMC and the forked version want harm anyone.
Plex would need more different features to distinguish itself more.

I you guess make up and create one Mac version i wouldn't mind though..

Blush
Ahhh and there forum let you edit messages,..... very much needed some times...

If you guys.......
Yeah, we used to have that as well - unfortunately people abused it. It'd be nice if there was a middle ground where "normal" users could edit for some predefined period of time (say an hour or so) whilst still allowing other groups to edit indefinitely, however I don't believe the forum software handles that, and we don't have time to spend coding something up for it Wink Previewing one's post doesn't take too much time to get it right, after all, so most users don't have a problem.

And yeah, we certainly don't mind having competition, though to be honest it's not real competition at this point as all it is is a rebranded version of XBMC, with a few very minor changes. If others prefer to run their own show and brand it as something separate, then that's really up to them.

Cheers,
Jonathan

The form no edit is already discussed lengthy on the forum, in my honest opinion it’s arrogant to block forum-users who behave from editing there post!

One thing i appreciate very much from the Plex team is that they are very open, Elans blog postings are bringing the development process closer to the average user. There is a different interaction between de devs and users at the Plex Forums, it could be the “Apple culture”. The http://xbmc.org/devblogs/ blog are more technical ant less frequent.

Bottom-line, I guess it’s a matter of taste.

Let’s see in the future what happens to both version..
Some people prefer packaging, some prefer content.
sho Wrote:Some people prefer packaging, some prefer content.

When both are present it becomes great Rofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Has "XBMC for Mac" been renamed to "Plex"?0