Question about using Mac Mini as HTPC
Hi,

I've just heard that the Mac Mini should perform well with 1080p content. Is this really true?

I mean it only got 1,8 Ghz and an integrated Intel graphics chip. Or would I need the 2.0 Ghz version?

Does the Mac Mini start up without keyboard and mouse connected? As I would only use it as HTPC.

Since it only got a DVI Connector how would I get the sound to my TV? I only have a DVI to HDMI cable but then I have no sound? I have yet to find a DVI to HDMI cable with a 3,5" jack connector.

I guess the last part should be no problem - put XBMC (or plex or whatever) into autostart and control the complete XBMC with the supplied remote control from Apple?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

I'm really looking for an easy to setup HTPC solution - I could build my own HTPC on Linux or Windows or whatever, but configuration will be always be a pain not to mention the power consumption.
In my opinion it is simply impossible that a mac mini can handle all 1080p stuff out there! For 720p material it is not the question. Some 1080p films will even go, too. Bot take an h264/x264 film with a high bit rate and the mac mini reaches the end! It is simply too weak for 1080p. Go and build a HTPC by your own with a C2D with at least 2,2 or better 3 GHz.
Yeah I thought so too, but using a 3 Ghz CPU will require quite a bit of power compared to standalone Media Streaming Clients.
I mean just look at this Popcorn Hour thing: http://www.syabas.de/A100-5.jpg
It got like nothing onboard, not even a fan but can play back 1080p content and also comes with a bittorrent client...I will never even get to close to this with any HTPC.
But without a custom build HTPC I won't be able to run XBMC Sad
I know the popcorn hour thing, but a HTPC is much more flexible and - you said this - with a HTPC you can use the XBMC with a sweet skin. With the popcorn our you don't Wink

What i never want to miss since i use a HTPC is the opportunity to be able to surf the internet.
My 1.8 mac mini handles 1080p x264 just fine... what you more so have to worry about is your network connection, I've been streaming using 802.11N over 5ghz(my living room is next to my pc room so i'm sure that helps too) anything less will not work.
I started using my mac mini with wireless g and 1080p content didn't play well. Once I started using an ethernet cable I was able to play them without issues...
@Gustovier: Did you use Quicktime Movies or regular mkv 1080p files? I heard that the Mac Mini plays Quicktime in HD quite well but not other files. Did you use XBMC / Plex?
I have the 2GHz mac mini with 4GB of ram, runnoing PLEX & anything I've downloaded from the internets that was a blu-ray ripped to H264 mkv file at 1080p, it plays just fine. It can struggle every now and then on an insanely complex moving image...But I expect with some tweaks it shoudl handle everything I ever want to see, and if I want to watch a full blu-ray title, I switch to my PS3.

I se no reason until 2K or 4K HD comes out to really consider anything else than a mac mini. If you are a home theater nut loking for the high end, you wouldn't be using a HTPC anyways, and any improvement the custom built PCs give you would be probably not be worth the extra time and hassle building your own custom HTPC.

I'd do it only if you want to make something that records with 2-4 inputs, if it doesn't record HD, mac mini would be a very easy way to go.

As for connections, those answeers are in this forum and on the Plex forum as well.

Two things:

DVI to HDMI adapter.

Mini-TOSLink adapter

(Optional item: Toslink + DVI to HDMI out adapter)
I have a DVI to HDMI Adapter and I know what Toslink is, but I have never found a Toslink + DVI to HDMI Adapter, is something like this really out there?

Then it would be perfect. And I don't really need to record stuff. Also the Mac Mini comes with a remote control already which is very sweet.
falc410 Wrote:I have a DVI to HDMI Adapter and I know what Toslink is, but I have never found a Toslink + DVI to HDMI Adapter, is something like this really out there?

A Toslink + DVI to HDMI Adapter does not exist. There are not separate audio wires on HDMI. Audio over HDMI interleaves the audio data with video data over the same wires. It needs cooperation with the video driver and there also need protocol handshaking to enable it..
@davilla wow, I didn't know this
I hadn't given it much thought, but I've been wondering why there was no adapters with coax input. Now I know!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:@davilla wow, I didn't know this
I hadn't given it much thought, but I've been wondering why there was no adapters with coax input. Now I know!

That's why audio over HDMI on Linux is still missing for nvidia video cards on Linux. The nvidia driver needs to support and enable the audio over HDMI. There was a statement from nvidia about 177 version possibly doing this but I have not have time to investigate.
And d4rk hits me with a cluestick Wink

http://www.grandbeing.biz/product/DH0101.htm

DVI, R/L audio or SPDIF audio to HDMI converter.
talk about thread-jacking

looks xpensiv (mostly because there's no pricetag, and it's probably a rather unique product)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

falc410 Wrote:I have a DVI to HDMI Adapter and I know what Toslink is, but I have never found a Toslink + DVI to HDMI Adapter, is something like this really out there?

Then it would be perfect. And I don't really need to record stuff. Also the Mac Mini comes with a remote control already which is very sweet.

Despite someone else has said, such converters/adapters do exist. HERE.

The one I used in the past was actually a digital coax + dvi in and hdmi out (I had to also use a teeny tiny optical to digital coax converter for the audio out from mac mini to the main converter).

Here's a page listing all sorts of muxing of various optical and audio inputs to HDMI.

I currently use an HDMI+Optical+Digital Coax switch (4 in/1 out) with my current sound system (because I couldn't get surround sound when using just the HDMI for both audio and video when passed thru the TV and out to the A/V receiver...But that's another story)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about using Mac Mini as HTPC0