XBMC under xUbuntu 0.84 desktop live
Sad 
Hi guys,

I wanted to see if xbmc could play my 720p vids nicely under xUbuntu. So I downloaded an iso of the OS, (live) and ran it off CD. I followed the instructions to download xbmc. I was skeptical of the OS letting me install xbmc because the OS was running off CD. But anyway, it did manage to install xbmc.

I didn't know which PPA to get, so I tried.. feisty, gutsy, but none of them worked, it says dependency issues (along those lines) and 'xxx' will not be installed. I was about to give up, but tried the HARDY PPA finally, and that worked.

So, got xbmc running with a basic number of skins, and I found it to be incredibly incredibly slow. I looked at the cpu usage in the debug figures, CPU1: 98% (averagely), CPU2: would go maybe 2% - 10%. something like that.

I didn't realise linux xbmc recognised both cores (I have dual core). Anyway this is a bonus! Smile But can anyone explain to me why the cpu usage was maxed out (CPU1)?

I thought at first, maybe since this is just running off CD (the OS), maybe it has very basic gfx drivers by default, but then i noticed the gfx had smooth pallette and in high colour, except everything was incredibly jerky and slow.

So, I was chuffed to get this far, but does anyone have any suggestions/advice? I suspect it absolutely NEEDS to be installed (the OS), would that solve the speed issue?

Thanks for your time,
Pants.
(new to Xubuntu)

Confused
Question 
wanted just to add:

by the way:
In the example above, I downloaded and used the Hardy download.

Im not too clear, is this the absolute latest version? (bleeding edge), as the opening lines in the PPA dist. message thread confused me a little.
Yes, just install the OS. Leave making live cds up to l.capriotti.
Not sure why you're running with a LiveCD to begin with. Unless you're running Solaris or BSD, there should be an XBMC build available for your platform. Otherwise just grab the XBMC Live CD and give that a go.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
just to be 100% correct: the XBMC LiveCD will be out in public very soon; as of today it's under closed pilot. Stay tuned !
cant wait
@PantsOnFire, the odds are 99% in favor that the reason why XBMC ran so slow on your setup was because you had not installed the restricted graphics device drivers for your video controller. The open source build-in device drivers does not yet support 3D OpenGL which XBMC requires to render smoothly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC under xUbuntu 0.84 desktop live0