Issues with certain avi files
Hello all,

I've been having problems playing only a few avi files. The problem is the video gets pixelated and when it recovers, the audio is out of sync. The pixelation/audio oos problem happens numerous times throughout the video.

The files live on the network. I am able to use media player classic and play the videos without a problem. I've tried increasing the cache settings in xbmc, but the problem continues.

Log file is here http://pastebin.ca/1202194 (I've only included the portion of my playing the avi. if more is needed, I can post that as well).

I am aware that it may be an issue with the way the avi is encoded. I am not aware of a way to check the stats on these avis vs other avis that are working. Since these are encoded by someone else, I don't know if I can get more information about the files.

It's interesting that MPClassic will play the files, but xbmc's mplayer is presenting the issue.

Is there anything else I should try or check to try to narrow down what the problem is and get it corrected?

Thanks!
chris.
you could use mediainfo or similar to find out what codec and streams are used in the file.
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

from your description I would say its probably using DivX codec which doesn't seem to work correctly at the moment, for me at least.
The log file reports that the file is corrupt. You can confirm that by re-muxing it through VirtualDub:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Appendix_B:_...ideo_files
Quote:To use VirtualDub on your Windows computer to re-mux, open the AVI file in VirtualDub then select "Direct-Stream" for both the video and audio which saves a new fixed file. Since VirtualDub creates a new header (internal-index), it usually also automaticly fixes any problems with bad/corrupt headers as well. If the problem is due to a bad/corrupt container/video/audio header or a VBR MP3 Header (which VirtualDub usually give a pop-up message stating when you open the file), then to fix that you must use VirtualDub to first fully decompress the audio-stream to PCM (only process audio, Direct-Stream the video) saving to a new AVI file, then open that new file and do another RE-MUX to recompress the uncompressed PCM-audio to the MP3 CBR format with the bit-rate of your choise, (again just leave the video as Direct-Stream, to only process the audio), by first decompressing the audio you will any A/V sync-problem caused by MP3 VBR (MP3 Variable Bit Rate). In the other 5% of the times the cause is a poorly encoding audio or video stream, there is no simple solution to this, we suggest you visit sites like doom9.net, videohelp.com or avsforum.com for information and support/help with such.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
marlboroman1 - thanks for the info on that program!

Gamester17 - thanks for the info about using VirtualDub! That took care of the file perfectly.

Thanks again!
chris.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues with certain avi files0