• 7(current)
XBMC "Server" - centralized XBMC management for multiple XBMC devices/platforms?
Lightbulb 
Hello to all,
I would really like to see a xbmc dedicated version that people can run from their headless servers. this version can be configurable through a webpage and can serve as a UpnP server and/or also as a db server for the xmbc's at home.
xhaos Wrote:Hello to all,
I would really like to see a xbmc dedicated version that people can run from their headless servers. this version can be configurable through a webpage and can serve as a UpnP server and/or also as a db server for the XBMC's at home.

Can you please explain more what you mean by
Quote:dedicated version that people can run from their headless servers
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
I think what he means is having the possibility of xbmc running without interface, just as daemon.

This will makes sense when xbmc will have centralised xbmc library, with pvr server on the same box, and different clients in multiroom context, like the Plesk media server does for example.
Or maybe to have an emulated library mode via the plugin by Galvanash, for xbox or maybe for other low-power clients, see http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/viewtopic...249#p10249 (see message by galvanash)
I would like to see a frontend and backend / deamon architecture, where everything is kept and served from the backend including library, media stream etc. The server side could be administrated through a webui.
this would also open up the possibility to use dumb boxes as xbmc frontends while offering the same services everywhere and not having to keep the same database in all clients.
xhaos Wrote:I would like to see a frontend and backend / deamon architecture, where everything is kept and served from the backend including library, media stream etc. The server side could be administrated through a webui.
this would also open up the possibility to use dumb boxes as xbmc frontends while offering the same services everywhere and not having to keep the same database in all clients.

You are speaking of mythtv ... ? LOL

Imho the best combination is :

- a backennd from mythtv to stream the tv-shows and recordings to your local network.
- A xbmc pc acting as a mythtv client and to stor all your media inside a nas.

Using the real mythtv-frontend is a pain. (and BTW the gui is uggly like a mule)
You can already house the MySQL database and storage on a headless server. Splitting out the other functionality would seem to be somewhat of a niche usage. UPNP is the only functionality that I feel would have any advantage over what is possible now.

While splitting out the UPNP functions so they could be handled by the headless server, I think that the advantages could easily be outweighed by the dangers. We need to avoid building any dependency on the NAS or MySQL usage on the server. Right now, XBMC doesn't care about the architecture of either of these functions. You can still use any MySQL instance on any distro on any hardware. I would regret seeing us build in dependencies for a "backend" that limited that flexibility.
A version without the gui is something I would love to see.

I'd love to see an xbmc that could be run for instance on an unraid server to manage database, playlists etc centrally.

Using sickbeard and couchpotato you need to have xbmc running constantly to recieve the updates as they download which is an awesome feature but means to go to a true storage and db server there needs to be another pc constantly running

With the new options with the web api and web interfaces as addons xbmc could be completely managed from anywhere so would be great to see if it could be implemented.
craigd Wrote:I'd love to see an xbmc that could be run for instance on an unraid server to manage database, playlists etc centrally.

I would argue that you don't need an instance really. To get the majority of usage from this you need a scaled down executable that only encompases a little of the functionality:
  • The settings files for sources and scrapers
  • The Update Library function
  • The Clean Library function

This should be built so as to use the hooks in the current mainline software but only support those functions. With this you would end up with a command-line utility that would scan the sources, scrape any new or updated content and optionally clean the library as well.

This should compile as part of a build (maybe a separate target in makefile) so that it was always current with the source. The end result would be a separate command to run on some event (a file finishing download) or to be scheduled.

I'll poke around and see if the code is too integrated into the GUI to be feasible.
GJones Wrote:I would argue that you don't need an instance really. To get the majority of usage from this you need a scaled down executable that only encompases a little of the functionality:
  • The settings files for sources and scrapers
  • The Update Library function
  • The Clean Library function

This should be built so as to use the hooks in the current mainline software but only support those functions. With this you would end up with a command-line utility that would scan the sources, scrape any new or updated content and optionally clean the library as well.

This should compile as part of a build (maybe a separate target in makefile) so that it was always current with the source. The end result would be a separate command to run on some event (a file finishing download) or to be scheduled.

I'll poke around and see if the code is too integrated into the GUI to be feasible.

just wondering how your poking went :-)

Exactly what I'm looking for - small app that can be scheduled to update / clean my xbmc mysql Db on my Windows Home Server box.

Its never going to have sound / decent Video but the media and Db are there.
Hi,

XBMC does not have server support yet like Plex media server. Are there plans to have that? Any pointers on how it can be done in XBMC, so that I dont need to maintain database on all clients and just have server having all the media.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
There is MySQL support for a "centralized" database for videos and music. But it's new and doesn't quite work as expected for everything. I would do a search for that if that's what you're looking for. I know there has also been talk at some point about doing some sort of headless server application for xbmc. Pretty sure that would be way down the line though unless a whole team starts work on it.
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
Thanks for the reply.

I'll check out on mySQL support for database.

To tell you my setup would be something like multiple boxes running xbmc, where one box has something called XBMC server which would hold all the media from various sources, and this interface/server would provide the media to other XBMC boxes which are clients. Hence all media management done by server and clients dont have to maintain multiple libraries.

So, using mySQL we can probably have media maintained on the server side and any idea on how this stuff can be passed to the clients?

Thanks
[b][b][/b][/b]
paries Wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I'll check out on mySQL support for database.

To tell you my setup would be something like multiple boxes running xbmc, where one box has something called XBMC server which would hold all the media from various sources, and this interface/server would provide the media to other XBMC boxes which are clients. Hence all media management done by server and clients dont have to maintain multiple libraries.

So, using mySQL we can probably have media maintained on the server side and any idea on how this stuff can be passed to the clients?

Thanks
I run this very setup, and its really not a big deal. All media resides on the server, with shared srvies to the network and MySQL used as the dbase. Each client is set up with the edited advancedsettings.XML (see the MySQL thread for the settings) and the sources are mapped to the shared drives via smb.

The server insatllation of xbmc also needs to have its source mapped via the network, so that network paths are preserved. On the server copy of xmbc i have the auto update timer adding installed so that it looks for new media every few hours, and have sickbeard setup to automatically update the library when it down loads new TV shows.

With this set up, one thing to remember is that the clients never needs to update their libraries, since this is all handled on the server side.

The only other trick to making this work is to share the fanart and thumbs directory from xbmc so that all the clients can pull from there. Otherwise getting fanart etc is a big of a piano, since the local clients don't scrape it themselves.

I have 4 xbmc clients and the server set up this way and it works like a champ.

Blacklist
Is there a way to start xbmc without display attached? I wish to run it on a headless pc.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC "Server" - centralized XBMC management for multiple XBMC devices/platforms?0