• 4(current)
XBMC "Server" - centralized XBMC management for multiple XBMC devices/platforms?
feerlessleadr Wrote:just fixed the link for you

Thanks, mate
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
Would a few hundred dollars motivate somebody to make this sort of system happen?

I'm more than happy to put some money in to get a master/slave system working, and I'm sure a few others would chip in....

Pete
Lightbulb 
I have been looking and saw the ODBC layer request but it didn't really look like what i was looking for.
Wondering if there is a possibility of running a server side database where all XBMC can gain data and read/write access to.. Basically for some of us who have multiple clients throughout their house and on different computers looking for a way to centralize the database instead of each client housing their own. Would make it easier in cases where a media file is scrapped incorrect and you have to manually change it on all boxes.. or take the database and image files from the fixed client and paste it over all the other databases on the other clients... I know this is possible if you add nfo files to each media file on the server but that creates a really cluttered folder and makes indexing a pain and a half on "older" (none quad or i7) servers (i am running a dual prestonia xeon server with vista as the backend till 7 comes out.. tried 2008 but i also use the server as a desktop so that was a pain)...

Also this would allow some form of state transfer between clients... Watching a movie in one room and want to transfer it to another room.. If you put it on hold the current state information for that file should be stored in the database correct? If you pull the video from another client on the same database it should pull the current state information or no?

Since the database is in sql lite it shouldn't have a problem with multiple client read/write at the same time...
pw
spiff Wrote:pw
?
this has been requested and discussed and whatnot in tons of threads already.
so you got a standard response;

pw = patch welcome.
spiff Wrote:this has been requested and discussed and whatnot in tons of threads already.
so you got a standard response;

pw = patch welcome.

True.. i suck at coding though... i am more of a hardware person... can you give me a tip on keywords to search on the board.. Tried unified database, central database, server database, centralized location, and other variants of the same thing...
share userdata seems to do it
spiff Wrote:share userdata seems to do it

I guess i fail at the KISS concept (keep it simple stupid)
Smile
How about a different approach to this... Instead of it reading all data from the centralized database and doing everything server side, how about treating it more as how we treat scrappers... Basically scrap the server database and sync each client database with it when you turn on the box... It would be nice to be able to do read/write function (rescrap info for a movie because it has the wrong movie and it uploads it back to the server database) but for the time being it would seem easier to just have it one direction to each client...
Look here: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37449

The intention discussed in this thread, is to have a server side database.
Question 
Hi everybody,

I just installed my first xbmc and I'm very happy with it. As I'm planning to build at least one more xbmc, I'm wondering if it is possible to have one music/movie/picture database shared between all clients?

In extensions I would love to have all clients netboot of the same server. Anyone done this already and can give me a hint?

Thanks in advance...
I have a few XBMC rigs at my place as well and this would be an interesting feature.

-Bahndit
there are a couple of threads about this in the "Feature Suggestions" forum.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC "Server" - centralized XBMC management for multiple XBMC devices/platforms?0