• 4(current)
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV
Rekoil Wrote:Hi, another aTV user here. Got the Apple Remote to work after copying ForceFeedback.framework as previously stated in this thread, but when XBMC takes control of the remote there is nothing giving control back to Front Row should a crash happen, noticed this a little bit back. Giving XBMC it's own launcher is probably the best idea to solve that at this stage.

I have also noticed that the interface is quite sluggish, both on my MacBook Pro (T9300 @ 2500Mhz, 2Gb RAM, 512Mb 8600m GT GPU) and AppleTV. But I'm sure this will be solved along the line Smile

Otherwise great work! XBMC will definitely replace Front Row and ATVFiles/NitoTV for me, the networking options are much better (note that I had previously never used XBMC Tongue) and the skinnable interface is so much more... alive Tongue.

Hi Rekoil,

Thanks for the feedback. A dedicated launcher is in progress that will also address the issue of XBMCHelper being a piggy with IR input. No time frame as yet but keep watching this forum for announcements.
Thanks Davilla about the info for the context menu.

Is there a way I can install XBMC on my PC or another OS where I can access/modify my library so that it is set how I want it in aTV? I want to use it but when its importing my movie collection with the odd movie incorrectly named my wife won't get to grips with being bothered to use it and that there is the acid test for me Smile

thanks,
C
chrisjburgess Wrote:Is there a way I can install XBMC on my PC or another OS where I can access/modify my library so that it is set how I want it in aTV? I want to use it but when its importing my movie collection with the odd movie incorrectly named my wife won't get to grips with being bothered to use it and that there is the acid test for me Smile

I can do better than that. Here is an URL to xbmc_remote. It's an XBMC EventClient that runs an a host OSX platform and sends keyboard commands to the remote XBMC (on AppleTV). It's a static build so SDL does not need to be installed. Source code is also at this location but you need the XBMC source from svn to build it.

Quote:http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/...bmc_remote

1) make sure settings->network->remote events->enable remote computers to control is turned on

2) command-line format is "xbmc_remote <IP number> 9777
I followed a combination of the first post and the one for mounting the dmg file.

All appeared to work, and through putty I can see the XBMC.app file in the \Applications folder, and I created the symbolic link.
However I cannot find XBMC anywhere in nitoTV (0.5.6 take two).

Should it appear in "Applications" under nitoTV, as when I press play on that it just 'bings' at me.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
yzeyze Wrote:I followed a combination of the first post and the one for mounting the dmg file.

All appeared to work, and through putty I can see the XBMC.app file in the \Applications folder, and I created the symbolic link.
However I cannot find XBMC anywhere in nitoTV (0.5.6 take two).

Should it appear in "Applications" under nitoTV, as when I press play on that it just 'bings' at me.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

NitoTV looks in ~/Applications for Applications. If NitoTV can't see XBMC, then your sym link is wrong

ls -l ~/Applications

should show a sym link from ~/Applications/XBMC.app to /Applications/XBMC.app
Thanks Davilla for posting this. I guess I don't understand how this works. Do I install it on the Apple TV? If yes, where do I install it and then how does it work? Sorry for all the amateur questions Smile
chrisjburgess Wrote:Thanks Davilla for posting this. I guess I don't understand how this works. Do I install it on the Apple TV? If yes, where do I install it and then how does it work? Sorry for all the amateur questions Smile

If "xbmc_remote", then as the thread says

Quote:It's an XBMC EventClient that runs an a host OSX platform and sends keyboard commands to the remote XBMC (on AppleTV).

You download this command-line app. Stick it in some directory, open a terminal window to that directory. Run it

./xbmc_remote <IP number> 9777

where <IP number> is the IP of your AppleTV.

If you have have enabled remote events by external computer enabled in XBMC on the AppleTV, arrow up, arrow down with the SDL window (host computer) and the arrow up, arrow down gets send to XBMC on the AppleTV. It's just like you have a keyboard connected.
davilla Wrote:NitoTV looks in ~/Applications for Applications. If NitoTV can't see XBMC, then your sym link is wrong

ls -l ~/Applications

should show a sym link from ~/Applications/XBMC.app to /Applications/XBMC.app

Thankyou, that put me on the right path.
Needed to create the Applications folder in the Frontrow users folder,
but I then needed to use

ln -s /Applications/XBMC.app /Users/Frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app

not
ln -s /Applications/XBMC.app /Users/Frontrow/Applications.XBMC.app

Then it appeared.

Will now do the remote fix.

Have used XBMC on xbox for a few years, just got the AppleTV, but it was lacking something until now.
Yay, all working, can see my NAS box and play files just like on my xbox.

Funny that the Play/Pause button changes the screen aspect ratio (like yellow button on xbox remote).
Next stupid question/s.....

Set the Video to full screen and calibrated it no problem
Hooked up to my NAS box and played video.
Set the skin to standard PM3.
Also set the Video to the vertical sync while playing video option.

In the settings, accidentally set the Apple Remote to 'Disabled' (it was on 'Normal' and I thought it might have a setting that made the play/pause button pause, bu the next option was 'disabled' and then of course it no longer responded to the remote)

Had to unplug / replug the atv to get back.

Now when I start XBMC, the screen does not start up (stays with the "Applications" folder, under that "XBMC.app >" and the XBMC logo on the left.)
However, I do hear the XBMC startup sound, and when I use the remote, I can here the skin 'click' sounds.
But no screen.
Any ideas?
(also, after a time out it dims my screen as well until I press on the remote, just like XBMC normally does)
yzeyze Wrote:Next stupid question/s.....

Set the Video to full screen and calibrated it no problem
Hooked up to my NAS box and played video.
Set the skin to standard PM3.
Also set the Video to the vertical sync while playing video option.

In the settings, accidentally set the Apple Remote to 'Disabled' (it was on 'Normal' and I thought it might have a setting that made the play/pause button pause, bu the next option was 'disabled' and then of course it no longer responded to the remote)

Had to unplug / replug the atv to get back.

Now when I start XBMC, the screen does not start up (stays with the "Applications" folder, under that "XBMC.app >" and the XBMC logo on the left.)
However, I do hear the XBMC startup sound, and when I use the remote, I can here the skin 'click' sounds.
But no screen.
Any ideas?
(also, after a time out it dims my screen as well until I press on the remote, just like XBMC normally does)

That's a issue that the dedicated XBMC launcher will fix. There is an issue with all previous application launchers where one could not get the application launched into the front 100 percent of the time. This is now fixed with the new plugin launcher which is in final testing now.

Until this is released, remember that you can ssh in, kill both XBMC and XBMCHelper, then you should get back to frontrow.

It's funny but you are the second person to inadvertently disable the IR remote. This sounds like a bug when the remote becomes disabled as soon as you select disable and pop you have lost control.
What is the advantage of the "disabled" option anyway? Is it due to interfering with other things? If it has to be there, then perhaps we make it only update when leaving the screen (possibly with a popup to check if a client is connected).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

1. Any update on the USB installer for AppleTV?
2. What is the highest bitrate that I can expect the AppleTV to smoothly play 720p mkvs? My videos range from between 7,500-10,000 kibt/s.
griffore Wrote:2. What is the highest bitrate that I can expect the AppleTV to smoothly play 720p mkvs? My videos range from between 7,500-10,000 kibt/s.

This thread has more information on supported bitrate ranges etc.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

davilla Wrote:... This is now fixed with the new plugin launcher which is in final testing now.
Thanks for the reply, look forward to the plugin launcher, will make it much easier for my wife to start it rather than digging through menus on Nito.

One thing I had noticed, when playing back avi files (standard bitrate files), there appeared to be some 'tearing' in the picture when doing scene changes etc.
Not noticed that on xbox xbmc (also at 1280x720).
mind you, the ATV is connected via HDMI, the xbox component, so could be my screen.
Anyone else seen this?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV3