• 10(current)
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV
bullware Wrote:ok, i got my videos working, now i have a list that i want to get rid of, any answers??

Not sure what you mean by a "list that I want to get rid of" A list of what Smile
turbinez Wrote:davilla, thanks again!

is there any complete step by step instructions for mac users on how to install XBMC on the latest AppleTV?

I checked the first post but it took me to a wiki page. I was wondering if theres a direct link to a well written tutorial possibly with screenshots that walks you through the entire process? And also links you on where to get the necessary files needed to get XBMC installed on the new AppleTV?

The atv-bootloader team have today launched atvusb-creator, which creates USB flash drive based installers that include patchstick, factory restore and various Linux distributions.

This version is comes with ssh, bin tools, and two plugins (XBMC for Mac and Boxee for Mac). That’s right, two full blown OSX applications with their own AppleTV plugin to launch and get updates.

Currently, it is only available to run on OS X, but Linux and Windows versions should be following within the week.

Download it http://atvusb-creator.googlecode.com.
davilla Wrote:1) not yet but working on a solution for that, SMB client is present internal in XBMC.

2) yes

3) maybe NitoTV does it and I would need to look into it.

Kewl, thx. Yes, Nito does have a smart installer for Perian and that will work but it might be a good idea to pre-install it if you can otherwise everybody will be complaining that their avi's and such aren't working (because they won't know to run the installer). Just a thought..

Side question: I'm stumped. I tried to manually install both XBMCLauncher and BoxeeLauncher on my already hacked ATV (ATVFlash 3). I can see and run Boxee but I can't get XBMC to show up in the menu. I've tried downloading and installing twice and no-go. After the first no-go I went and made sure I had all the old alpha XBMC (Nito app) stuff removed including:
- XBMC.app from /Users/frontrow/Applications
- ForceFeedback.framework from /System/Library/Frameworks/
- SDL.framework from /Library/Frameworks/

Anything I'm missing or doing wrong?
tuckbodi Wrote:Kewl, thx. Yes, Nito does have a smart installer for Perian and that will work but it might be a good idea to pre-install it if you can otherwise everybody will be complaining that their avi's and such aren't working (because they won't know to run the installer). Just a thought..

Side question: I'm stumped. I tried to manually install both XBMCLauncher and BoxeeLauncher on my already hacked ATV (ATVFlash 3). I can see and run Boxee but I can't get XBMC to show up in the menu. I've tried downloading and installing twice and no-go. After the first no-go I went and made sure I had all the old alpha XBMC (Nito app) stuff removed including:
- XBMC.app from /Users/frontrow/Applications
- ForceFeedback.framework from /System/Library/Frameworks/
- SDL.framework from /Library/Frameworks/

Anything I'm missing or doing wrong?

Asking the obvious here, you did restart Finder.app after moving XBMCLauncher.frapplicance into Finder.app/Contents/Plugins.

does /mnt/Scratch/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log have any info?
davilla Wrote:Asking the obvious here, you did restart Finder.app after moving XBMCLauncher.frapplicance into Finder.app/Contents/Plugins.

Yes and I rebooted the ATV as well.

davilla Wrote:does /mnt/Scratch/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log have any info?

Here's my two latest logs. Thx

-bash-2.05b$ more console.log
Apple TV OS Version 10.4.7 (Build 8N5519)
2008-10-02 00:23:14 -0600
HTTP2 Streaming Reads ON
2008-10-02 00:24:42.211 Finder[161] success loading AppleShareClient
2008-10-02 00:24:44.405 Finder[161] +[SapphireAppliance className] called for Leopard/ATV2 whitelist check, so I'm lying, m'kay?

-bash-2.05b$ more console.log.0
Apple TV OS Version 10.4.7 (Build 8N5519)
2008-10-01 22:44:12 -0600
HTTP2 Streaming Reads ON
2008-10-01 22:44:54.508 Finder[158] success loading AppleShareClient
2008-10-01 22:44:59.863 Finder[158] +[SapphireAppliance className] called for Leopard/ATV2 whitelist check, so I'm lying, m'kay?
2008-10-01 22:54:10.540 Finder[158] empty folder, return!
2008-10-01 23:14:05.382 loginwindow[88] *** NSTimer discarding exception 'launch path not accessible' that raised during firing of tim
er with target 324bb0 and selector '_handleIdleTimer:'
2008-10-01 23:15:14.869 Finder[158] empty folder, return!
2008-10-01 23:15:16.021 Finder[158] empty folder, return!
2008-10-01 23:15:17.173 Finder[158] empty folder, return!
2008-10-01 23:15:18.325 Finder[158] empty folder, return!
Oct 2 00:15:22 AppleTV sshd[184]: error: ssh_msg_send: write
2008-10-02 00:21:23.333 Finder[158] empty folder, return!
2008-10-02 00:22:03.087 Finder[158] reboot finished with status: 0
Oct 2 00:22:03 AppleTV reboot: rebooted by frontrow
davilla Wrote:So when you go to the screen resolutions and click through all the settings you do not see a setting that say "1280 x 720 (Full Screen) ?

This is correct. The only option with "(Full Screen)" is 1280x1080.
Zedlic Wrote:This is correct. The only option with "(Full Screen)" is 1280x1080.

What is the make and model of your TV? Some TVs, like certain Toshibas claim to support 1080p, however, they only do 1080p vertically, their horizontal resolution is sometimes much less than 1920 (eg: 1024x1080 is a resolution of certain LCD panels).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

tuckbodi Wrote:Yes and I rebooted the ATV as well.

I only see SapphireAppliance being loaded, you say you do see boxee. Hum, maybe some interaction with SapphireAppliance. If you could just mv SapphireAppliance out of the Finder plugins, reverify xbmc/boxee are present in Finder plugins, then reboot and check to see if they appear.
I have Windows pc, I have downloaded the XBMCLauncher.frappliance.tar.gz and install.sh files and put them in the Documents section on the ATV (frontrow folder).
How would I manually run this?

I have tried "sudo -s" followed by "./install.sh", but it tells me "Permission denied"
So I tried a "chmod +x install.sh" and then "./install.sh", but it just drops back to the prompt without doing anything.

Sorry, a bit new at this, could someone nudge me towards the right direction?
XBMC and Boxee work really nicely. I am Windows user as well so I had to find an alternate route.

If you already have SSH just pull the appliances out of the atvusb-creator file for the patchstick and copy them to the applications directory on your ATV. Run the update on each one and they work perfectly!!!

Path to find the apps in the atvusb-creator tar is: atvusb-creator\atvusb-creator.app\Contents\Resources\payloads\patchstick \plugins

copy them onto your ATV where your other plugins live.

Path to find the apps in the atvusb-creator tar is: atvusb-creator\atvusb-creator.app\Contents\Resources\payloads\patchstick \plugins
Back on campus and creating the patchstick now. I know I need to ssh into the atv to put other skins on. Does anyone have a recommendation for a ssh client on vista?

Edit: Should have mentioned I have heard of Putty before, but also found sshwindows.sourceforge.net. Anyone like one better than the other or maybe a different on?

Edit2: Oh yea now I remember why I was going to post, lol. Has the "don't run it twice" bug been fixed? I don't plan on running it twice, just wondering.
xeonicxpression Wrote:Back on campus and creating the patchstick now. I know I need to ssh into the atv to put other skins on. Does anyone have a recommendation for a ssh client on vista?

Edit: Should have mentioned I have heard of Putty before, but also found sshwindows.sourceforge.net. Anyone like one better than the other or maybe a different on?

Edit2: Oh yea now I remember why I was going to post, lol. Has the "don't run it twice" bug been fixed? I don't plan on running it twice, just wondering.

Bug is fixed in b2 and b3.
Ok I'm asking way too many questions, but I saw on the program it said atv version 2.1. Am I supposed to upgrade to 2.1 ahead of time. I think mine is 2.0.2 right now. Oh yea and when you say power down, do you mean just hold the play button to hibernate it or also yank the power chord?
yzeyze Wrote:I have Windows pc, I have downloaded the XBMCLauncher.frappliance.tar.gz and install.sh files and put them in the Documents section on the ATV (frontrow folder).
How would I manually run this?

I have tried "sudo -s" followed by "./install.sh", but it tells me "Permission denied"
So I tried a "chmod +x install.sh" and then "./install.sh", but it just drops back to the prompt without doing anything.

Sorry, a bit new at this, could someone nudge me towards the right direction?

XBMCLauncher.frappliance.tar.gz, the tar.gz is a clue that the file is tar'ed and gzipped. Under linux and OSX ;

tar -xzf XBMCLauncher.frappliance.tar.gz will extract the contents which will be a folder called "XBMCLauncher.frappliance"

you can do this under the AppleTV, copy (scp) XBMCLauncher.frappliance.tar.gz to the AppleTV,
extract it, then move it to

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns

OSBoot needs to be read/write and you will need to use sudo when moving it into place.
xeonicxpression Wrote:Ok I'm asking way too many questions, but I saw on the program it said atv version 2.1. Am I supposed to upgrade to 2.1 ahead of time. I think mine is 2.0.2 right now.

Any Take 2 version will be fine, atvusb-creator just says 2.1 right now to try and be less confusing.

Power-down is yank the power not sleep.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] XBMC for Mac (Atlantis Beta 1) on the Apple TV3