• 3(current)
Still High CPU usage in Beta1
Seems you're taken this way too personal, Wiso. This isn't my intention at all!

There is something wrong with XBMC and I don't know what it is. Just pointing out that I (and others who are probably not aware of the high CPU usage), experience troubles.

The fact that I show pictures, is that XBMC's log generates nothing out of the ordinary.

If you point out that your configuration doesn't have the problems described, doesn't mean the issue isn't there. It just does not appears on your configuration. There are countless of hard/software combinations possible on a Windows machine and on some of them High CPU usage occurs. Maybe you should broaden your testbed.

PS. Your picture is taken windowed. Note the difference on windowed/full screen screenshots on the Intel 8400.
My setup with Q6600 and 8600GT also have the very high CPU usage in idle mode with VSync enabled.

Also, as reported here earlier changing the VSync to disabled or only when playing video does fix it but after a restart of XBMC the problem is back even if VSync appears to be disabled. I have to toggle it to enabled and back to disabled after each restart. Appears like maybe XBMC doesn't actually save that setting?
HTPC: ZBOX-ID41 running OpenElec with Logitech Harmony remote.
NAS: Lian Li Cube, MSI P55-CD53, Intel I7-880, 16GB RAM, 23x 2TB WD drives @ RAID6, 500GB Samsung, Ubuntu Linux.
TV: Samsung UE75ES9005
My setup also shows high cpu usage when idle and decreasing when fiddling with the vsync options.

AMD 4800 X2, 2gig ram, Asus motherboard with built in nvidia 6150 graphics =50% cpu usage

Goes down to 1-3% when i change the vsync option
ShabbyDog Wrote:My setup with Q6600 and 8600GT also have the very high CPU usage in idle mode with VSync enabled.

Also, as reported here earlier changing the VSync to disabled or only when playing video does fix it but after a restart of XBMC the problem is back even if VSync appears to be disabled. I have to toggle it to enabled and back to disabled after each restart. Appears like maybe XBMC doesn't actually save that setting?

In my opinion, this is the root of the issue. The Vsync option does not stick.

Can somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post their details to the existing TRAC ticket. Include your xbmc.log as well as their guisettings.xml file. Include them from before you change the setting and then after you change the setting and then again after you restart XBMC.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Added the logs you asked for under (I think) the right entry in TRAC.
NAS: Lian Li Cube, MSI P55-CD53, Intel I7-880, 16GB RAM, 23x 2TB WD drives @ RAID6, 500GB Samsung, Ubuntu Linux.
Which TRAC entry? I am looking at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4462 and don't see it.

Thanks.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Oh you added as a note there. Please attach them to the TRAC ticket itself instead of pastebin. And please include the guisettings.xml as requested.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's the entry. It's added as a change on the bottom with pastebin links to the logs?
Please attach them to the ticket. Not pastebin.

I have a possible fix(or workaround for now) so that vsync setting takes effect on startup too. But I don't have XBMC for windows so if anybody here can compile and test, then go for it Smile

modify guilib/Surface.cpp

For now, just comment out/remove inside EnableVsync method:

#ifndef __APPLE__
if (m_bVSync==enable)
return;
#endif

Just disabled Vertical Blank Sync from the system>appearence menu, cpu usage is now between 1-5%, big difference !
I have a potential fix but I don't have windows to test.

Do you build XBMC yourself by any chance?

pko66 Wrote:Hey WiSo, I see you have Vista, DragonFly et al seem to use XP SP3... maybe that sets the difference...
It's the same on my AMD/Nvidia PC with XP SP3.
DragonFly Wrote:Seems you're taken this way too personal, Wiso. This isn't my intention at all!

Nope but I take it not that seriously than you. I know that XBMC still eats a lot of CPU performance in the gui and I won't deny it but I wanted to show that it's difficult to track down if I can't reproduce it.
im having the same problem amd x2 2.4ghz, readeon 3850 512 meg, catalyst 8.9, xp sp3, when on the xbox menu 50 cpu usage, but the weird thing is the cpu usage seems to drop when playing a tv show i downloaded. and it was in HD hovered around 19% cpu usage. vsync also on.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Still High CPU usage in Beta10