Boots to Fluxbox desktop on an old Athlon system with a GeForce 3
I'm trying out Live on an old Athlon system with a GeForce 3, and when I boot the disc, I arrive at an empty Fluxbox desktop. XBMC doesn't appear to be in any of the app menus, so I'm guessing I'm seeing something that was supposed to be bypassed?
Aha, looks like I may have figured it out myself. I launched bash and tried to launch XBMC from there, and got the error that the Nvidia OpenGL drivers require an SSE-equipped CPU, which my ancient Athlon apparently must not be.
I am having the exact same problem and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

I'm booting with the LiveCD and it goes directly to a Fluxbox desktop.

I'm running an ASUS P5N-EM HDMI nvidia nforce 7100.

How can I get XBMC to run from the Fluxbox desktop? Better yet, how can I get it start automatically.

Where do I look for debug information? The LiveCD seems to hide directories, so I'm having trouble finding logs and executables.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live_specific_FAQ

You need NVIDIA GeForce 6-Series (6100) or newer graphics hardware as well as SSE equipped CPU.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmm, well the processor is a C2D 8400 which I'm pretty sure supports SSE, and the graphics chip is a 7100 series. Its an on-board chip, but its definitely newer than the 6 series.
I was replying to doxology original posts, I do not think you have the same problem.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
My problem seemed to resolve itself. Originally I had 2 USB sticks connected, one with XBMC and one with some media files. I unplugged the the media stick and everything booted up fine.

I have no idea why, but I'm glad its working now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boots to Fluxbox desktop on an old Athlon system with a GeForce 30