Playing files while downloading?
Question 
Is it not possible to play files while they're downloading in windows like you can on the xbox?
It will only work for files that are in an archive (rar/zip) otherwise there is no way to calculate the play time as the full filesize is not known.
ok, thanks for the answer!

VLC streams .avi files that's not rar'ed, if you choose "Do not fix broken files". So does BS.Player, but it "skips" every time you get to where the end of the file was when you started watching.

Any chance of this beeing looked at in the future?

Anyway, I've been using XBMC for years, and I love it, and can live without this feature Smile
Feel free to make a feature request on trac. Just remain aware that we are currently in a feature freeze for Atlantis so there will likely be no motivation until after its release.
althekiller Wrote:It will only work for files that are in an archive (rar/zip) otherwise there is no way to calculate the play time as the full filesize is not known.

At the moment unfortunately it does also not work for rared videos Sad

However, this was one of the features which made xbmc stand out from all the other players around.

The feature works perfectly on the original xbox version of xbmc. The problem with the unknown video length was tackled by disabling the jump forward/back functions.

Normal playback is working like a charm for incomplete/currently downloaded videos on xbox, it would be outstanding to see this nifty feature on xbmc for windows too.

(big xbmc fan since the early day)
F3d0r Wrote:At the moment unfortunately it does also not work for rared videos Sad

However, this was one of the features which made xbmc stand out from all the other players around.

The feature works perfectly on the original xbox version of xbmc. The problem with the unknown video length was tackled by disabling the jump forward/back functions.

Normal playback is working like a charm for incomplete/currently downloaded videos on xbox, it would be outstanding to see this nifty feature on xbmc for windows too.

(big xbmc fan since the early day)

not sure what you're doing wrong, but i do this at least 3 days per week (watch tv eps as they're coming in, that is)

it's working the same way as it always has on xbox.... you have to have the files in order though, and torrents (even torrents with rar files) are useless for this feature UNLESS you download, say, the first 10 rar files first (including the .rar)... then when they're complete, set high priority on the next 10.... start watching now and you can usually guarantee that you'll have the whole thing by the time it gets up to the bit you havent accounted for

of course if you have lightning fast internet then you can alter the numbers...
fanclub Wrote:not sure what you're doing wrong, but i do this at least 3 days per week (watch tv eps as they're coming in, that is)

Just as a write this I am downloading a rar'ed tv show and as always it plays perfectly in xbmc on xbox (while downlaoding).

However, it does not work at all in xbmc for windows. The playback starts and there is an image for one or two seconds but then it stops.

So unfortunately playing while downloading does not work like on the xbox at the moment.
F3d0r Wrote:Just as a write this I am downloading a rar'ed tv show and as always it plays perfectly in xbmc on xbox (while downlaoding).

However, it does not work at all in xbmc for windows. The playback starts and there is an image for one or two seconds but then it stops.

So unfortunately playing while downloading does not work like on the xbox at the moment.

hmm this sometimes happens for me (on windows)... i just try the file again and it works

since atlantis alpha 3 it's done it perhaps 8 times total (alpha 4 and beta 1 included) for me, but it always works when i try to play the file again straight away

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing files while downloading?0