FTP access to Live
So I'm missing the classic FTP access to my XBMC. With my xbox I would let the system turn on and I would ftp my files to the local drive (500gb so it was easier than to setup a shared network)

Now with my new system running XBMC Live of the USB and a local HDD with 1TB of empty space waiting to be loaded. Is there any quick way to setup ftp access to transfer to that drive or a share so I can easily send files from my PC to the XBMC loaded machine.

Any thoughts?
Tried to to use WinSCP with no success connecting.
I've loaded up web server and that works for remote XBMC control, so I know it's not a connection issue. No idea where to go from here.
FTP was replaced with SFTP/SCP that comes free of charge with sshd.
Use Filezilla or WinSCP if you are Windows-based and it will work.
l.capriotti Wrote:FTP was replaced with SFTP/SCP that comes free of charge with sshd.
Use Filezilla or WinSCP if you are Windows-based and it will work.

I can't seem to find the information withing XBMC Live to setup the client. Is there a default port I need to use?
Okay it took some tinkering on my end to get this working.

I made sure the HDD with XBMC had a mounted directory ei sda1

I used FileZilla to connect
Host <Your IP>
Loging xbmc
password xbmc
port 22 *This is what I was missing*
Server Type: SFTP

When you log onto your device it will route you to the default xbmc directory
Change this by typing in /media/sda1/ (You can automatically set your remote directory to this in the connection settings, so you don't need to type this in every time)
I created a folder within my HDD called XBMC with sub directories for Movies and TvShows to make life easier.

Now it works like a charm 1.0MB/s transfer rate and a sweet success.
Is there a possibility to increase the ftp upload speedlimit to xbmc? (or is there none?)
Now all uploads go steady 1mb/s, is there a reason for it or can i override it?

thanks!
Know that sftp is encrypted so you'll get abit of overhead since it needs to encrypt and decrypt it.

Still, I get from an ION to my desktop about 1.8mib/s

If you want a normal FTP server on the HTPC you can install one, ubuntuguide have guides on how to do it.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I have an aspire revo with xbmc live on it and using filezilla i'm unable to connect to the xbmc. i'm using xbmc/xbmc and i thought i set my unix password to xbmc when i installed if that has anything to do with it but I am getting the error

Response: fzSftp started
Command: open "[email protected]" 22
Command: Pass: ****
Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

and this is using sftp.
jimbo2008 Wrote:Command: open "[email protected]" 22

try [email protected], not xbox.
falos Wrote:Is there a possibility to increase the ftp upload speedlimit to xbmc? (or is there none?)
Now all uploads go steady 1mb/s, is there a reason for it or can i override it?

thanks!

There is no override setting to make it go faster.

I get about 8-10MB/s over my 100Mb network to my ASRock Ion 330 with Alpha2 installed with Live install disc.

Have you tried a different network cable or another device to see it's your pc that won't upload any faster?
I'm not able to log in using 'xbmc' for both username and password. It tells me the password is incorrect. A little help?
Same here. When I use xbmc as the default username and password, Filezilla tells me 'authentication failed.' Any advice?
schwagner Wrote:Same here. When I use xbmc as the default username and password, Filezilla tells me 'authentication failed.' Any advice?

Hadn't tried to sftp to XBMC for ages but tried today and got the same error as you. Updated my version of FileZilla and it started working!
schwagner Wrote:Same here. When I use xbmc as the default username and password, Filezilla tells me 'authentication failed.' Any advice?
I installed XBOX Live to the HD.
For me it worked with user that I created during installation
vitaminyo Wrote:I installed XBOX Live to the HD.
For me it worked with user that I created during installation

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This worked for me!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FTP access to Live1