[howto] Lirc only on fullscreen tv, mouse & kdb on monitor
Well this one was nearly as much fun as getting Lirc running!

I have based this on two methods I found in this forum and slightly modified and bodged them until they submitted and did what I wanted

This works on Debian and may well need hacking to suit your distro - indeed the techniques I discovered here needed tayloring to work, so your mileage may vary and you will have to double check for paths etc

First I will show you the whole script and then explain what happens and why I'm doing stuff...

you will need to install wmctrl (your distro *should* have a package for it)
and get switchscreen from here

PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh

killall -9 irexec
killall 
-9 irxevent
killall 
-9 xbmc
DISPLAY
=":0.1" /usr/local/bin/xbmc &
DISPLAY=":0.1" irexec &
DISPLAY=":0.1" irxevent &

sleep 1
/home/chris/bin/switchscreen 0
sleep 1
/home/chris/bin/switchscreen -c 100,100 
sleep 1
DISPLAY
=":0.1" wmctrl --r xbmc.bin.xbmc.bin -b toggle,fullscreen 

put the script somewhere safe make it executable and make a nice desktop launcher for it and with luck you should have it

the TV is on screen 1 the monitor is screen 0

as a precaution I kill XBMC but more importantly the two app that will direct the lirc input to where we want it.

I found that for switchscreen to work properly I had to switch screens and then move the pointer. All the sleep statements are needed for it to work properly, and if something isn't working the first thing I would recommend is increasing all of the sleeps to say 3 seconds... (or more)

as using swapscreen knocks xbmc into windowed mode (at least it did for me!) I found a short sleep and then toggling fullscreen was needed

*however* wmctrl will NOT WORK with beryl or compiz soo...
as having compiz on 2 heads will (currently) cause gtk menus to be really slow in appearing you need to run a script then your X session starts

PHP Code:
sleep 3
DISPLAY
=":0.0" compiz --only-current-screen --replace --fast-filter 0 &
disown $! 

you might want to run metacity first so theres a WM on the TV but it really isnt needed....

anyhow I *think* thats about it! hopefully you should have your girlfriend happy playing some soaps and romcoms on the xbmc with the remote, while you can get on with some coding ! Laugh
"What do you mean we never do stuff together? We're using the same computer together!" Stare

Oh and btw its worth asking at secondhand game shops if the have any xbox1 dvd kits I got mine for 99p and soldering on a spare usb cable took all of two minutes and was dead easy!
You're welcome Wink Btw, I got it to work without using wmctrl. You can try it without, first.
dgege Wrote:You're welcome Wink Btw, I got it to work without using wmctrl. You can try it without, first.

Nevermind, I'm using special KDE rules to remove the borders and the window fullscreen, that's why mouse isn't trapped anymore. So if you're using KDE, you don't need wmctrl.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[howto] Lirc only on fullscreen tv, mouse & kdb on monitor0