[LINUX] Interfacing with LinuxMCE's Home Automation Control features
Lightbulb 
I know this topic has been brought up before and I'm hoping to find an interested scripter who can help with this. Check out linuxmce.com to get an idea what the project is. It should be possible to use python to interface with LMCE, their software is not very friendly for skinners and in my opinion does not handle media organization very nicely either. They do, however, enable a level of home automation tied in pretty much any way you can imagine. Please, if there are any interested scripters, or anyone who has some input on how to accomplish this, please let me know.
...or any developers interested in merging the two projects for a more proper solution? There's a lot of cool features that LMCE brings to the table, it allows PXE booting, diskless clients to be run off the network, complete control over your home automation from anywhere, the possibility to control your media center in ways not possible currently, think about having a PIP windows popup on the screen when someone approaches your front door, being able to answer your phone right from your TV remote without having to get up, etc.

I realize that XBMC is a media center and I appreciate that, however I do think that XBMC has matured since it began several years ago and home automation can be used to greatly increase your media center's performance. Admittedly this is not something every single user would have an immediate need for, but there are a large amount of people out there who already have the equipment to utilize this, and most people I have talked to have a desire to do it, but haven't found the right software combination, I believe XBMC fills the gaps in LMCE and the combination would be an MCE killer
You willing to automate the team members' homes so we can develop this?
I would gladly donate some equipment for this, obviously not a full blown setup, but I'd be willing to donate some basic things for testing purposes. If you're serious you might want to drop by the lmce boards or their dev channel to talk with the devs and get an idea what it's all about.
Nah, the lib that mce uses for home automation is dual licensed. Not cool IMO. I'm fairly certain maybe 5% MAX of our total user base even has home automation. I know none of us devs do (or at least will admit to it). There are many areas that would be much more beneficial to work on until home automation is more mainstream.
I might take a look and see what I can do.
See http://forum.xbmc.org/tags.php?tag=home+...on+control Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
This is an old thread, but an case anyones interested. I wanted zwave, but didn't want linuxmce. I took their ZWApi and Serial files (which is GPL'ed) and made a library out of it. Its not pretty but if you were desperate: http://www.scottwaye.com/zwave.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Interfacing with LinuxMCE's Home Automation Control features0