Microsoft's Xbox DVD-Kit Remote (and IR-reciever) with XBMC Live?
Question 
If I somehow manage to modify the Xbox's IR-receiver so that it's USB compatible, will it work with LIVE? stupid question? Smile
Yes, you can buy adapters of Ebay or build your own. They will allow you to connect the DVD adapter dongle to a usb port.

Apparently it is supported by lirc, but I'm having trouble getting it to work with XBMC Live.
jfatica Wrote:Yes, you can buy adapters of Ebay or build your own. They will allow you to connect the DVD adapter dongle to a usb port.
Apparently it is supported by lirc, but I'm having trouble getting it to work with XBMC Live.

Excelent, I did that USB mod myself, so Now i have to make this HW work with live. Smile
I got mine to work. You will need a lirc.conf file for the xbox remote, a hardware.conf file, and you will need to remove the xpad module from loading.

hardware.conf
Code:
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
# Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD=false

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true

# Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
DRIVER=""
# If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0 will be
# automatically used instead
DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
MODULES="lirc_atiusb lirc_dev lirc_i2c"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"
LIRCMD_CONF=""
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

lirc.conf
Code:
#
# LIRCD configuration file for Xbox DVD Kit
#
# Marko Friedemann <mfr|bmx-chemnitz.de>
#
#
# brand:             Microsoft
# model:             Xbox DVD Remote
# supported devices: Xbox DVD Remote via xpad-ir driver
#
# comment:           EXPERIMENTAL
#

begin remote

name  XboxDVDDongle
    bits           8

begin codes

SELECT         0x0b
       UP              0xa6
        DOWN           0xa7
       RIGHT           0xa8
        LEFT           0xa9
       INFO            0xc3

9              0xc6
       8               0xc7
        7              0xc8
       6               0xc9
        5              0xca
       4               0xcb
        3              0xcc
       2               0xcd
        1              0xce
       0               0xcf

DISPLAY                0xd5
       BACK            0xd8
        SKIP-          0xdd
       SKIP+           0xdf
        STOP           0xe0
       REVERSE         0xe2
        FORWARD                0xe3
       TITLE           0xe5
        PAUSE          0xe6
       PLAY            0xea
        MENU           0xf7

end codes

end remote

Here is the link to the xpad removal thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33418&page=2
I installed mine yesterday with these config files just as they are written and blacklisted the xpad in

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=186774&postcount=4

sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Add blacklist xpad to the end of the list and save the file.

I just save my existing /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and lird.conf as .conf.bk and then created new ones with the above link's conf files and it worked like a dream after the reboot. I am using nvidia not ati and ofcourse with live.

rgds,

Dave
Hi

I think I must be missing something so could someone put me on the right track Big Grin

I have edited the blacklist file and added blacklist xpad. I then created hardware.conf and lircd.conf to the usb drive in \config\etc\lirc\ which I understood would be intergrated when I next booted the usb drive with xbmc live. I still cannot get my xbox remote to work. I know its me doing something wrong but could suggest what I need to do to get it working?

Many thanks
I didn't use the config folder trick people mentioned here.

I just copied the lircd.conf file directly to:
/etc/
/etc/lirc/
and after my reboot it worked straight away.
Code:
sudo cp /where/ever/you/have/them/*.conf /etc/
sudo cp /where/ever/you/have/them/*.conf /etc/lirc/

FYI: I didn't copy the hardware.conf and it worked fine.
OK I have tried everything I can think off. I have even edited the two files in vim and retyped them. I have blacklisted xpad. I still cannot get the xbox remote to work. I have the venom adapter. Any one have any ideas. Would be most grateful coz this is causing me a right headache lol

Many thanks
I think you just put the lirc.conf and hardware.conf directly in the config folder on the root of the usb.

/config/lirc.conf
/config/hardware.conf

I used this method on beta1 but i reckon it should work on beta2 as well.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
I have tried that putting them in config, config\etc and config\etc\lirc. still no go. this is so frustrating. so close yet so far lol
i installed xbmc live. made the two files i tried to ftp the files across from one computer (windows) to the other computer which has xbmc live installed on the hd and it says access denied. how do i do this can i ftp in root mode
Whoops, wrong thread....sorry.
tt4079 Wrote:I have the venom adapter. Any one have any ideas. Would be most grateful coz this is causing me a right headache lol

Many thanks

i beleive non genuine ms xbox dongles may pose a problem, i couldnt get my chinese knock of dongle to work but my genuine one works a treat.
good point - I'm also not sure I soldered mine correctly as the PCB wasn't the same either (mine also have a DVD region switch on it)

although I do get this:

dmesg|grep lirc
[ 5360.594229] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
[ 5360.594322] lirc_atiusb[4]: on usb3:4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Microsoft's Xbox DVD-Kit Remote (and IR-reciever) with XBMC Live?0