HD playback stutters/stalls when streaming
Hey guys,

I've been having a lot of problems with HD mkv playback. Here is the description of my problem:

I will be streaming a 720p mkv file via gigabit ethernet when suddenly the video will freeze on a certain frame. The audio will freeze as well, playing a short (half second?) clip over and over again. This happens for between 5-15 seconds, after which the video either resumes playback or sometimes it kicks me back to the menu.

Things to note:

a) This does not happen if I copy the file to the computer's HD and play them there, then they play 100% fine.
b) This doesn't always happen in the same spot - it could freeze somewhere and if I rewind it it'll play past that same spot with no problems.
c) Sometimes movies of the same resolution streamed from the same spot play with no problems, and sometimes the problem occurs every few minutes.

The debug log: http://pastebin.ca/1213031

I start playing the movie around line 650. Line 813 is where the playback froze, and as you can see absolutely nothing happened for the next 17 seconds while it sat there frozen. It then booted me back to the menu. It should be noted that directly after I made this debug log I played the file again skipped to the part where it had skipped before and it played past it fine.

This is on a fresh install of Windows XP. Probably unrelated, but also noteworthy is the warning for missing DLL files at lines 514-523.

Any suggestions of what to try? I tried increasing the cache and it didn't seem to help. It's clearly not the network speed, I can copy the whole file to the XBMC computer in 3 minutes so streaming it should be no problem. I also watched a few minutes of the same file from my Vista computer with MPC and it played with no problems.
Update to this issue:

- I just watched a full 1080p mkv streamed off the exact same share that's usually giving me troubles and it played without interruption. I then opened up the file I used in the log above and tried it and noticed that it played fine BUT it had a weird color problem periodically.

The color problem I'm describing looks like a single frame gets "stuck" on the screen and the pixels remain "stuck" until they get updated to a new color or something. This happens if you skip forward a wmv in VLC, same thing.

Does anybody else get either of these 2 problems or is your guys' mkv playback flawless? If I copy it to the PC it's 100% flawless so it's gotta be an issue with streaming in some facet - I don't know if it's the PC, XBMC, ffdshow, or what but I'd like to track it down.
I have the same problem here.. I think it's an issue with the codec that is used. What is your cache set to?

720p plays fine, but there is visible stutter.. 1080p plays completely out of sync.

Maybe there's a way to prioritize codecs, and use a different one?
Unfortunately XBMC doesn't use codecs.
Shows how much I know.

So is there any actual support for this issue?
have you tried updating lan drivers, graphic drivers, etc etc??
Any news about this?

I have problem when playing 720p videos too, after a couple of minutes playing it crash my machine.
Oo...Gents I am getting the same issue...any ideas..?? Is it becasue of the size of the data being streamed..I a have noticed with large streams, the image will tend to freeze..
One thing to keep in mind when asking for help is post your system specs. Namely the CPU as ALL video processing is done via the CPU (as opposed to the video card).

Also check the wiki on how to get a debug log and how to post it here.
i discovered the same effect but i would suggest that it has nothing to do with the performance of the PC

Before i came to XBMC, i was using Mediaportal with Mplayer as external player and with the same movies i never got this on the same hardware base.

Also i have a set-top box which is modded to play m3u playlists with VOB's using the TCPMP player. It is based on Windows Mobile 5 and has a Celeron 733 MHz with 128MB Ram only inside but playing the movies without any stuttering.

Cause i am using a 32" LCD-TV, i set up the skin inside XBMC to 1366x768 pixel with bicubic automatic upscaling. Then i discovered the problem and changed it to 720p without upscaling and now it seems to work.

angryjack
angryjack Wrote:i discovered the same effect but i would suggest that it has nothing to do with the performance of the PC

Before i came to XBMC, i was using Mediaportal with Mplayer as external player and with the same movies i never got this on the same hardware base.

Also i have a set-top box which is modded to play m3u playlists with VOB's using the TCPMP player. It is based on Windows Mobile 5 and has a Celeron 733 MHz with 128MB Ram only inside but playing the movies without any stuttering.

Cause i am using a 32" LCD-TV, i set up the skin inside XBMC to 1366x768 pixel with bicubic automatic upscaling. Then i discovered the problem and changed it to 720p without upscaling and now it seems to work.

angryjack

You forget that mediaportal's player utilized the GPU for video playback, and the set top box isn't using the 733 as it's only video acceleration...XBMC (ffmpeg) currently does not and is 100% CPU bound.
Question 
So from what i gather here, the reason that i may be getting video stutter when playing back 720p x.264 files is because it is relying on my cpu power rather than the ability of my gpu? Forgive me if i am wrong. Updating my memory which is currently 1536mb would not solve the issue, neither would be the issue of updating my ATI Radeon 128 MB graphics card to a better one. From what i have should that be more than enough to run those types of files without stutter?

Pentium P4 2.8 HT
ATI Radeon 128
1536MB Memory
HD: WD 400GB MyBook
The bug this thread was originally created for has nothing to do with CPU/GPU stutter. I'm not talking about playback stutter, this is something to do with a streaming error. When this bug happens my CPU is less than 10%... it's not a playback problem. Every time it happens there is a "stillframe detected" entry in my log, but copying it to my local HD plays the file fine. Playing past the same spot in the file works fine on second try, it's not a problem with the source files.

In short, anybody talking about stuttering because of your PC being too slow is in the wrong thread :0)
I seem to be having the same problem. HD .mkv files load (although they don't show the "loading" window and progress bar that regular files bring up) and then freeze after about 5 seconds. They play fine from the local drive, and they play fine over wifi with MPC.

I am using XBMC Atlantis, DL'd and installed 2 days ago.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. XBMC won't play any HD files at all, not on the local drive, not over ethernet or wifi. They play about 5 secs and then freeze (video and audio), but the counter keeps going.
Any luck on this? I am having the same shuttering and audio\video sync issues.

CPU: AMD 9600 Phenom
Memory: 4G 1066Mhz
Video Card: ATI RADEON 4670 512MB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD playback stutters/stalls when streaming0