Is XBMC for me?
I have tried XBMC for a while now and I must say I really like the features that work.
Maybe I have missed something but there are a few things I cant get working, and I cant find any good threads about them.

1 --> When scrolling trough my music, I have to press down, a million times to get to the letter "P" (even by using the scrollbar on the right). Is there a way that I can make it jump down to the first file starting with the letter pressed? (and I'm not talking about the library search function or filter)

2 --> When playing a music file found in the file listing (not the library) it tends to play the same 1 sec (repeat) of the current track when jumping back out to the folder listing. Im guessing its trying to grab some info of the other folders therefore overloading the system, but it always does this. Even though there is no change in the folders. (this is a mapped network drive) Any way of preventing this? Must I use library?

3 --> I really want to get the scripts working, but most of them return a url error (read: winsockSad). I cant seem to find a thread that shows a possible solution to this. The one I found just states that there is a problem.
(even though I got one of the youtube ones working after copying all the versions of the msvcr*.dll" and the msvcp*.dll I could find on the web into my system)

4 --> Could anyone try to make a list of the scripts they got working on their windows system. That way I can try to find out if its my system or the scripts, that is making them crash/stop/not work/winsock-error

And last, if I want to try making scripts of my own, could someone give me a hint of a nice beginner page/way to begin ? Rolleyes

Thanks for any help Big Grin
atomic Wrote:1 --> When scrolling trough my music, I have to press down, a million times to get to the letter "P" (even by using the scrollbar on the right). Is there a way that I can make it jump down to the first file starting with the letter pressed? (and I'm not talking about the library search function or filter)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36623 <read that from the beginning

atomic Wrote:4 --> Could anyone try to make a list of the scripts they got working on their windows system. That way I can try to find out if its my system or the scripts, that is making them crash/stop/not work/winsock-error
I see this question all the time, but no one ever lists the scripts/plugins THEY have trouble with.

atomic Wrote:And last, if I want to try making scripts of my own, could someone give me a hint of a nice beginner page/way to begin ? Rolleyes

The best way is to find a simple one that does something similar to what you want to do, then modify it to suite your needs. I suggest you start with making plugins because they're much easier, then do scripts if you want to.
There is no easy to follow guide but these sites will be helpful:

XBMC Python Docs
hOfficial Python 2.4.3 Docs
Dive Into Python - A good Tutorial that explains things more simply than the official documentation
A RegularExpressions Tutorial that I liked
and finally the Addons Googlepage and Scripts Googlepage . Looking at and playing around in the source code in these pages will be your biggest help.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
It seems that issues regarding scripts and plugins are not yet resolved. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37684.

A possible explanation:

WiSo Wrote:@dragonfly: I didn't look deeper into the issue as I really don't know if the scripts make the issues or the win build. of course the timeout issue maybe some win thingy but there're some other scripts which still works so this issue has some lower priority.

I personally think the Windows build is totally to blame

Maybe we could start a thread ourselves which lists NON-working scripts or plugins. Scripts may be broken/outdated on other platforms, but when enough scripts/plugins are listed, we see similarties on broken scripts which DO seem to work on other platforms.

Because no one seems to moderate scripts/plugins, the only thing to do is to try them allConfused
Thanks for reply's :-)

I got the jumping working, but I think the setup might be a bit different in the windows version. (but I may be mistaken)
If somebody want to use the solution I'm using, here it is:

<keymap>
<MyMusicFiles>
<remote>
<zero>Queue</zero>
<star>Queue</star>
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
</remote>
</MyMusicFiles>
</keymap>

This is just for the music file listing, I'm guessing you have to add this to the other parts of XBMC where you want it to work.
I was thinking that if you add it to the <global> you might screw up some of the other mappings?
Or do they override the global one?

@Dragonfly: I'm up for making a thread to list the working/non-working scripts on the windows platform. I'm guessing we are not the only ones with this problem. And a list would be nice Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC for me?0