• 37(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC
(2015-11-20, 18:34)billybob69 Wrote:
(2015-11-19, 23:11)BlackRose Wrote: Sorry to say, but these remotes are a pain to use, although the responsiveness is great when they are working.

The Synchronization issue really bugs me, and often happens at when you least want it to happen. Battery issue is fine, got some rechargeable for it, but still there needs to be a better solution than this for Windows.

Do the original PS3 Bluray remotes also have the synchronization issues? I have the newer one.

I've tried both the original and the latter versions of the PS3 remotes (see my posts on the last couple of pages) and found the original remote to work far better with far less synchronisation issues.

bb69

When you say far less, does that mean it still happens? Does that hibernation feature in PS3BluMote actually work like its supposed to?

The second version of the remote unpairs quite often, not only when the batteries die. Using Windows and this thing does some crazy delay causing things as well. May try V1 if it can be confirmed to be reliable.

(2015-11-20, 18:57)Soli Wrote: I have an original remote. I read that they don't need to be repaired when you change batteries. I can confirm this. makes life a bit easier. It basically "just works" (after a proper setup) in Linux and you can expect the batteries to last 1-2years. I can even wake my chromebox from sleep with the remote.

Can someone with a v2 remote confirm if they need to be repaired when changing battteries?

I never got it working reliably in Windows, although it must have been over 6 years ago that I messed around. The problem is basically that noone has got autosleep to work in Windows, so the batteries will only last a week at most. You shouldn't use this in Windows, it will only give you gray hairs.

I use Windows. Experiencing the non reliable problem myself. V2 just loves de-syncing whenever it feels like it. Its a pain to use.
PS3blumote didn't support sleep when I tried it 6 years ago, and it doesn't support it now. It has always been an non-working "experimental" feature. In fact I'll go as far as saying it was downright stupid to even implement an experimental feature that has never worked for anyone, ever. If Kodi implemented an experimental feature called "make you dinner", then PS3blumote's experimental "sleep" feature would still be the more stupid out of the two.

Only thing it did was to spread confusion, something the last post before this is an example of. Just to be clear:

PS3blumote has never and will never be able to sleep the PS3 remote. If you're using Windows, you should stop wasting your time and move on to another "remote" solution.
(2015-11-21, 19:11)Soli Wrote: PS3blumote didn't support sleep when I tried it 6 years ago, and it doesn't support it now. It has always been an non-working "experimental" feature. In fact I'll go as far as saying it was downright stupid to even implement an experimental feature that has never worked for anyone, ever. If Kodi implemented an experimental feature called "make you dinner", then PS3blumote's experimental "sleep" feature would still be the more stupid out of the two.

Only thing it did was to spread confusion, something the last post before this is an example of. Just to be clear:

PS3blumote has never and will never be able to sleep the PS3 remote. If you're using Windows, you should stop wasting your time and move on to another "remote" solution.

Thanks Soli. I've been trying the "make you dinner" feature of Kodi. Seems it only works on the latest nightly builds though, but can't seem to get it to make anything besides sandwiches.

Anyhow, wonder how this remote would do with Flirc, Just completely skipping the Bluetooth and using IR instead. That could, in theory, bypass all the problem areas. What you think?
Not sure. I'm pretty sure the IR function of the v2 remote is only for a subset of the buttons.

It does work badass in Linux once you have managed to configure it right. Which is slightly tedious as it involves a patched bluez and some manual remappings. The wiki is slightly out of date/uncomplete. But it does work pretty great out of the box when using Openelec i've been told.

I only use it with Kodibuntu though, and I also use it together with xbindkeys when launching external programs. (I dynamically remap the eject button to alt-f4 so I don't need a keyboard to close the program). It has never failed me in 1.5 years. Last week the batteries started to run out, and I had to swap out/in the batteries for it to function again for a couple of minutes... That worked for a couple of days until the batteries were really really flat. So once configured, you never have to touch it again. I finally got new batteries and I expect it to last another 18months Wink

My advice would to get the v1 and use it with Linux or Openelec.
(2015-11-22, 00:26)Soli Wrote: Not sure. I'm pretty sure the IR function of the v2 remote is only for a subset of the buttons.

It does work badass in Linux once you have managed to configure it right. Which is slightly tedious as it involves a patched bluez and some manual remappings. The wiki is slightly out of date/uncomplete. But it does work pretty great out of the box when using Openelec i've been told.

I only use it with Kodibuntu though, and I also use it together with xbindkeys when launching external programs. (I dynamically remap the eject button to alt-f4 so I don't need a keyboard to close the program). It has never failed me in 1.5 years. Last week the batteries started to run out, and I had to swap out/in the batteries for it to function again for a couple of minutes... That worked for a couple of days until the batteries were really really flat. So once configured, you never have to touch it again. I finally got new batteries and I expect it to last another 18months Wink

My advice would to get the v1 and use it with Linux or Openelec.

Agreed: I've been using the V1 remote very happily under OpenELEC. This includes hibernation: it all worked out the box. No re-pairing required when changing batteries.

The V2 remote, however, needs re-pairing every time the batteries are changed.

Under Windows, the above works mostly OK; save for hibernation, which randomly caused un-pairing on both versions of the remote. Without hibernation, it worked mostly fine save for needing new batteries every 10 days. (And in the case of the V2 remote, re-pairing was mandatory when changing batteries under Windows as well).

I'm now also running Kodi on an Ubuntu machine - I used LIRC with the V1 remote but wasn't happy with reliability. You're saying BlueZ is more like it? I'll give it a try... What was missing from the wiki in your experience?
Didn't know you can use Lirc with the remote... Yeah Bluez is more like it.

Wrongs/incomplete/unclear things in the wiki: the timeout is actually in seconds when using the patch. So for 1min timeout you should use 60 instead of 1.

Some of the keymaps don't work (but ymmv): for instance "stop" mapped to key_stop didnt work, so I just mapped it to "key_x" instead. And also remap key_space from cross to pause key etc etc. And you might want to tweak the keymaps to your liking (for instance adding mute/volume up/down , map them to the actual keyboard presses for those functions)

I also didn't use the python scripts. Instead I just used Blueman since I had a desktop installed. Just choose "trust" and then connect input device. (Don't use pair, it will ask for a code). Be sure to modify the mac address inside input.conf to the actual mac of your own remote, or the timeout won't work.

Remember to apt-mark hold bluez so that the patched bluez package doesn't get overwritten when doing an apt-get upgrade (it will however get overwritten if you do a dist-upgrade and there exists an upgrade to blue. In that case: just [copy] the packages that are held back when doing an apt-get upgrade and manually apt-get install [paste] instead )

Do it right and you will never have to mess with it again.
There's a similar thread for this remote in the Linux subforum.
Much appreciated!

After a bit of research, it looks like OE actually uses BlueZ under the surface. Which explains the reliability (as mentioned, this works brilliantly under OE)

I'll give this shot under Ubuntu (and move over to the appropriate Linux thread Wink )

Thanks again!
(2015-11-21, 14:47)BlackRose Wrote:
(2015-11-20, 18:34)billybob69 Wrote:
(2015-11-19, 23:11)BlackRose Wrote: Sorry to say, but these remotes are a pain to use, although the responsiveness is great when they are working.

The Synchronization issue really bugs me, and often happens at when you least want it to happen. Battery issue is fine, got some rechargeable for it, but still there needs to be a better solution than this for Windows.

Do the original PS3 Bluray remotes also have the synchronization issues? I have the newer one.

I've tried both the original and the latter versions of the PS3 remotes (see my posts on the last couple of pages) and found the original remote to work far better with far less synchronisation issues.

bb69

When you say far less, does that mean it still happens? Does that hibernation feature in PS3BluMote actually work like its supposed to?

I agree with the other posters that the v.1 Sony PS3 remote is far better suited to being a Kodi remote than the v.2. Although as I've installed the Kodi remote app on my iPhone, I rarely use the PS3 remote these days.

The only synchronization issues that I have had with the v.1 remote is when I changed the batteries. The one issue that I have found with the original remote is that when going up or down through large pieces of information - like a full EPG with numerous TV channels or my full list of music, it goes through it too slowly or will temporarily freeze Kodi. This is where I have found the iPhone remote to win hands down.
(2015-11-22, 13:24)billybob69 Wrote:
(2015-11-21, 14:47)BlackRose Wrote:
(2015-11-20, 18:34)billybob69 Wrote: I've tried both the original and the latter versions of the PS3 remotes (see my posts on the last couple of pages) and found the original remote to work far better with far less synchronisation issues.

bb69

I agree with the other posters that the v.1 Sony PS3 remote is far better suited to being a Kodi remote than the v.2. Although as I've installed the Kodi remote app on my iPhone, I rarely use the PS3 remote these days.

The only synchronization issues that I have had with the v.1 remote is when I changed the batteries. The one issue that I have found with the original remote is that when going up or down through large pieces of information - like a full EPG with numerous TV channels or my full list of music, it goes through it too slowly or will temporarily freeze Kodi. This is where I have found the iPhone remote to win hands down.

That makes complete sense. I agree, left and right are generally the biggest problem with remotes for me as well, especially when in large libraries. Don't like the idea of phone remotes though, but a lot of people do.

If the first control had the ability to control some TV features, like volume, power and sources, I may have got one.
Well, the solution could be a Harmony Ultimate. Maybe you could get one cheap on ebay.
A less fancy remote, but which should work just as well, is the Harmony Smart Control.

Communication from the remote to the base station is with rf so no need for line of sight. The base station could be paired to the pc with bluetooth (either in ps3 emulation mode, or native mode - not totaly sure tho), or it could just control the pc with IR, either a builin port or Flirc.
anyone using Kinivo Btd-400 Bluetooth 4.0 with the ps3 remote? I am looking to replace my Asus USB-BT400. Tired of having to remove and add the device back when it stops responding. Or should i move to a IR.remote and if so whats a good brand? Thanks
I have been using my "old" PS3 remote with Kodi for more than a year without a problem. Unfortunately last week it suddenly stopped working.
Windows was no longer able to pair with the remote. It did see it but when trying to pair it have some kind of error code.
Windows was still able to pair with other bluetooth devices, so I assumed the PS3 remote died.

I order a new PS3 remote which I received today. It's the new version. I thought the layout was a bit nicer, and kinda assumed that it would basically work the same.
However when I press the select+start button Windows does not see the device. I put the new batteries in, and the lights of certains buttons light up, so that should not be the problem.
How can I pair the new remote?
(2015-11-21, 19:11)Soli Wrote: PS3blumote has never and will never be able to sleep the PS3 remote. If you're using Windows, you should stop wasting your time and move on to another "remote" solution.

I have been able to make it work with my PS3 remote. When I finally managed to enable it I could use the remote for a few months without replacing the batteries.
Is there a way to wake computer from the remote with this application
If my pc is off or in sleep mode will the remote still drain the batteries?

Is there a way to turn off the pc, reset, or sleep with the remote? I tried to make a windows shortcut but just can't seem to figure it out.

Finally how do you input text with this thing? I checkmarked sms text input, but I don't know how to use it.

Thanks
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC4