[APPLE TV] Mediastream Sluggish
The media preview, showcase, and any view that has sliding posters is kind of jumpy and even more so when fan art is on. Is that normal? I think my resolution is set to 1280 x 720 (fullscreen). I'm not infront of it right now, but I know it is ___ x 720. The atv isn't super powerful, but I was a little surprised to see the lag. DVD playback is perfect though.

I'm not trying to criticise. XBMC is still an amazing experience on the atv and probably the most accessable method for the average joe to get working. It was a quick and easy way to try to stream movies over the network to my home theater and I love it. There is a big lag between when I select a movie and when it plays, but that might be due to the fact that it is playing off of an usb hard drive connected to another computer over the wireless network, which involves an AP and router. It's not a USB drive spinup issue though. I can play one movie, stop it and play another and it takes the same time.

I read that the current version of xbmc for mac isn't optimized for atv but that it will change for the next release. Maybe that will help with the jumpy behavior.
yeah i have the same issues as you... remote isn't responsive with xbmc, also takes awhile before it starts playing videos, it pauses and then it has to buffer then finally plays. hope future builds will improve the responsiveness and speed of the overall xbmc on appletv.
Some of the skins that use large textures are slow. MediaStream has a 'lite' mode which you can switch to until Apple TV specific optimizations are made within XBMC. The original Project Mayhem III skin, although not HD, also performs quite well.

I've not noticed any significant lag for movie playback. I too stream over a 802.11 g network. How much lag are experiencing?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

im using airport extreme router 802.11g, about 15 seconds to stream and plus it has to buffer too...
I don't get any screen saying buffering. I just get a long pause, 15 seconds sounds possible, and then it starts playing. It is a pretty significant pause though. I thought it had locked up the first time I tried playing a movie. Is there a log file that I can pull that would show it maybe?
d4rk Wrote:Some of the skins that use large textures are slow. MediaStream has a 'lite' mode which you can switch to until Apple TV specific optimizations are made within XBMC. The original Project Mayhem III skin, although not HD, also performs quite well.

I've not noticed any significant lag for movie playback. I too stream over a 802.11 g network. How much lag are experiencing?

How do you access the "lite" mode?
Well I timed a few movie start times. I got anythere from 8 sedonds to 32 seconds for a movie to start after selecting it. The weird thing is that the one that took 8 seconds to start wouldn't pop up the menu after the movie started for awhile. They usually took 24-25 seconds to start though.

Edit: I just tried playing batman begins, which is a hddvd rip converted to mkv. It plays like crap, obviously, but it only took about 2 seconds to load. The I tried to play Charlie and the Chocolate Factory HD DVD rip and the same thing happened. It took maybe 4 seconds to load. My dvd movies are kept in Video_TS format on the other hand.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] Mediastream Sluggish0