[ATV] is scanning your itunes music library suppose to take this long?
It's been scanning for over 2-3 hours now. I don't have that many songs in my library. I have about 1700 I believe. It doesn't show the progress so I'm not sure if its even scanning, when i go to the contextual menu I get an option to "STOP SCAN". So I'm not even sure.

Please help. Wish there was a progress bar or indicator of somesort. I am in AEON skin btw
If you tell me just how you told XBMC to "scan your itunes lib" I can try it tonight and let you know what happens.

I am wondering how you told it to do this...
access the contextual menu while you're in music view and go to scan, it finally finished took about like 4-6 hours... geez... i got like 1755 songs
Scanning the iTunes library into XBMC's library isn't supported, that's why it's taking that long. For each song, it has to run the Python interpretor.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

but how is that any different if i were to move all my music files into a different directory (outside of the default itunes directory) and scan that? only reason i scanned was so i can use the library mode.
Did you have album and artist lookups enabled? Web-based lookups take forever.

I doubt it'd be due to python loading and unloading that it takes quite that long - do you have a Debug Log of the process?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hrmm, yes i had those enabled, am i suppose to turn those off before performing the scan? i mean pretty much all my music has embedded art, tagged, etc...

now everytime i add a new song on my mac, i have to go ahead and add each one in manually thru xbmc? it doesnt seem to auto update the database like it does with my movies.

i can get a debug log if you can tell me exactly which file it is.
Context Menu -> Update Library will rescan for songs. Should be pretty snappy if you only added a couple, though I can't guarantee that it'll know this necessarily if you're using the itunes plugin to list them. The web-based lookup grabs the info that aren't in your tags, such as moods, themes, album review, artist discographies and so on. Not essential information for the operation of the library.

Logs are in ~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log I think on OS X, (so /Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log on AppleTV perhaps?) There's other posts in this forum by actual apple tv devs that will no more than me Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

no i am not using the itunes plugin at all. that didnt work well for me. so i am using this method of just scanning the itunes music library myself.
Cool - then the only reason it's slow is due to the web-based lookups. Allmusic.com is notoriously slow.

Update Library will pickup any changes in your filesystem, and it'll only rescan folders that have changed, so should be much snappier.

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:Context Menu -> Update Library will rescan for songs. Should be pretty snappy if you only added a couple, though I can't guarantee that it'll know this necessarily if you're using the itunes plugin to list them. The web-based lookup grabs the info that aren't in your tags, such as moods, themes, album review, artist discographies and so on. Not essential information for the operation of the library.

Logs are in ~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log I think on OS X, (so /Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log on AppleTV perhaps?) There's other posts in this forum by actual apple tv devs that will no more than me Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

how did you get the Context Menu?
i can't find a way to see it
james341 Wrote:how did you get the Context Menu?
i can't find a way to see it

On ATV 2.2, hold down the play button (long press).
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] is scanning your itunes music library suppose to take this long?0