How MCE Remotes work in Windows, and why they don't immediately work out of the box.
Beginning with SVN Builds created after 9.11 Camelot, support for MCE Remotes that send keystroke combinations (such as ALT+S) is build in; however, a custom keyboard XML must be created to take advantage of these keystrokes. In the next few weeks and months expect changes to the Wiki on the subject of remotes to handle these issues. With luck most MCE Remotes should work out of the box (or close to it) with the next official release of XBMC.
Below are some tutorials for getting your remote control to work with XBMC for Windows. Additionally, the above link contains a few methods that do no include installing either IR Server Suite, EventGhost, or any other additional software.
Available tutorials and HOW-TOs to setup/configure remote controls for XBMC on Windows:
- Tutorial: HOW-TO get XBMC for Windows to work with remote control via IR Server Suite
- Tutorial: HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows XP with IR Server Suite
- Tutorial: HOW-TO control XBMC using EventGhost with the Microsoft MCE Remote
- Tutorial: HOW-TO easily get MCE Remote working flawlessly in XBMC with EventGhost
- Tutorial: HOW-TO use XBMC and Vista Media Center with a MCE remote with EventGhost
- Tutorial: HOW-TO setup the original Xbox DVD remote the correct way with EventGhost
- Tutorial: HOW-TO use a module to configure Xbox Remote Control on XBMC for Windows
- Tutorial: HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost
- Tutorial: HOW-TO setup iMon specific remotes and software with example Moncaso Remote
- Tutorial: HOW-TO use Hauppauge 45 (or 34) button remote control in XBMC
- Tutorial: HOW-TO get Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control working using EventGhost
- Tutorial: HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC
- Tutorial: HOW-TO use MCE remote (RC6) in XBMC under Windows the easy way
Also checkout these other ways for controlling XBMC:
- iPhone Remote App for XBMC
- XBMC HTTP-R, Remote Control app for PDA, PPC, or Smartphones
- Android XBMC Remote Control
- Configurable SonyEricsson Bluetooth Remote with XBMC
- XBMC Controller for PSP (PlayStation Portable)
- XBMC Remote Control on PSP (PlayStation Portable)
- XBMC Remote Interface for PSP (PlayStation Portable)
- XBMC integrated web interface (web server)
PS! Please do not post asking for support in this specific thread, as this thread is only for posting links to other threads with tutorials.