Problem with Ubuntu Hardy and XBMC
i have tried and tried to get this working but am not getting anywhere.

i am running hardy amd64, have fglrx installed and working, yadda yadda.

i would really really like to get this working, but when i run xbmc, i get the following error:

Code:
fluid@media:~/.xbmc/userdata$ xbmc
/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr: cannot find mode 0x8f
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

when i do that, a small window pops up with XBMC in it. i see the menu briefly, things look good (except that its in a small window of course), and then it crashes.

you can view my log file at the following url:

http://pastie.org/287592

thanks much in advance!
now for everything else. im sorry, i got way too tired at 6 in the morning and went to bed. lol...

Specs:

xbmc Install method - your prebuilt binaries using your apt repository

Kernel Info:
Code:
fluid@media:~$ uname -a
Linux media 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

CPU Info:
Code:
fluid@media:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 15
model        : 47
model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping    : 2
cpu MHz        : 2000.000
cache size    : 512 KB
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 1
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow up rep_good pni lahf_lm
bogomips    : 3983.79
TLB size    : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

Video Chipset: ATI Xpress 200M (not the best, but its a laptop)

Output of fglrxinfo:
Code:
fluid@media:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release

I am using s-video to get the signal to my television, I have ubuntu up and running at 1024x768@60

here is the stack trace for this core dump.

http://pastie.org/287963

i would use the live cd, but i cant do that either, it just gives me a black screen with a flashing cursor.
I had the same problem. If installing from ppa use the svn version.

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ubuntu hardy main

Alternatively try building from source
http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x...ADME.linux
The SVN PPA is the daily builds which haven't been updated in a couple months now. It's disabled during feature freeze to promote and facilitate bug hunting.
Just to be clear. The ppa svn version did not segfault on my AMD64 system but the non svn ppa version did.
It's an older binary though, so we're not going to support it.
althekiller Wrote:It's an older binary though, so we're not going to support it.

why would you have an older binary on the release apt source if the current release is beta 2?

besides, you told me it was a graphics driver issue...i dont think that was the case. and you really had nothing to point to the fact that it was a driver issue other than "the log doesnt show anything wrong".

it didnt make sense to me when i was able to quickly click on any menu item just to get away from the main screen and have the thing function as it was intended without the segfault.

anyway, i installed the same operating system using an i386 build, and installed the same binaries (this time for the new architecture) and all works just fine.

i may go back tomorrow and install x86_64 again and use the svn binaries instead of the standard ones and see what happens. will let you know if it works.
The svn ppa binaries are old. They are not current. That is what althekiller was saying.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:The svn ppa binaries are old. They are not current. That is what althekiller was saying.

ah, well i wasnt running the svn binaries. i was running the binaries you tell people to install in the linux installation instructions. which ones should i be running on the x86_64 architecture?

and sorry i misunderstood that statement.

actually, did i misunderstand? i was referring to this post from above:

covert Wrote:Just to be clear. The ppa svn version did not segfault on my AMD64 system but the non svn ppa version did.
Yes, and what he was referring to "ppa svn version" is old.

There is a different ppa for the svn ppa.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with Ubuntu Hardy and XBMC0