Home Server Files to XBMC Over Internet
I'm looking for any suggestions on how to accomplish this (the way I want it to work). I'm basically trying to get similar access to the files on my home server from a remote location as I have at home. I am hosting my video and audio files on a FreeNAS server. At home, I access these files via XBMC on both a softmodded XBOX and XBMC for Windows using SMB. This system works pretty much flawlessly. I want to be able to playback these files from my work computer and and laptop (both are using XBMC for Windows). It set up FreeNAS to serve the files via FTP, but the access times are terrible, as XBMC has to index the folders every time they open, and has to download the files before playing them. This makes audio annoying and video impossible. I understand that there will be slightly longer load times because of the internet connection, but is there some way to set this up so the the files stream (and begin instantly)? What I really want is SMB or UPNP type service over the internet. Maybe this is really easy and I am just missing something?
I don't really think this request to be specific to xbmc or even xbox, you may want to research general smb over internet.

You could also look into a vpn type setup, where you use a vpn capable router (as a vpn server) and a vpn client (xp/vista new connection wizard -> vpn) and then access your nas as if it were local.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home Server Files to XBMC Over Internet0