Atheros wifi in beta 2?
Does anyone know if Atheros wifi driver (part of the restricted driver set in the desktop version of Ubuntu) is included in beta 2? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it isn't... or if it is, I don't know how to enable it.

I have tested beta 2 on my laptop (Dell Latitude D820 with internal Intel wifi) and was able to edit the /etc/networking/interfaces file to flawlessly and automatically connect to secure wireless while I was at work. But I was unable to do the same with my HTPC at home since it has an atheros wifi card in it. (in case you were wondering, yes the same setup on my laptop works at home)
The card shows up when i type lspci in the console
Code:
(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ lspci
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
04:01.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC (rev 01)
but not when I type iwconfig.
Code:
(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      no wireless extensions.

Any ideas? I have a USB wifi adapter I can use in the time being, but is kinda ugly having a USB wifi sticking out the front of the HTPC.

:confused2:
Schroeder Wrote:but is kinda ugly having a USB wifi sticking out the front of the HTPC.

So stick it out the back :p

Assuming you've installed live to a USB stick you should be able to install the package you need with apt-get from the console.
Quote:So stick it out the back

I would, but unfortunately there isn't room in the back because the USB wifi is too big. le sigh...

Quote:Assuming you've installed live to a USB stick you should be able to install the package you need with apt-get from the console.

I've been scouring the internet trying to find the correct package... I've already installed madwifi-tools but i can't seem to find the driver... every place I've looked says to either use NDISwrapper (which I would like to stay away from) or that it works perfectly fine once restricted drivers are enabled...
Update -
I gave in and installed NDISwrapper and the driver is now working. However I quit last night after I got that installed. Now I just need to get WPA encryption working. Will post my results later.
you may want to have a look here.
l.capriotti Wrote:you may want to have a look here.

HAHA! Awesome! Just what I was looking for! Thank you l.capriotti!
Followed the instructions on that link after installing NDISwrapper and it works flawlessly.

Great job! Thanks!
Living Room System
XBMC Live HDD install / Zotac 330 / Silverstone case with iMon Multimedia VFD and remote / 1TB drive for storage of all media / 32" LCD TV
Bedroom System
XBMC / Boxee on Windows XP SP3 / MCE303 case with MCE remote and Samsung VFD powered with LCDsmartie / Hauppauge 950Q for live tv / 22" LCD monitor

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atheros wifi in beta 2?0