XBMC "BACK" verses the "ESCAPE" button?
I think all will work well if backspace did the same function as ESC while playing the video. Meaning pressing backspace will minimize the video and take you to the directory it was running from. then if you press backspace again it will take you back one directory.
rimmi2002 has a point Nod
I think his point is very good and I agree with that. If they just change the backspace button to not step back for video it would make a lot of sence for keyboard users.

I'm still in the trial stage of determining if I'll make the switch from media portal. This is one of my complaints. I like the esc button going back to the main menu; however, not all menus support the backspace to go back one menu. I use MP and XBMC all with a remote with limited buttons (MCE remote), I don't want to map several keys to one button. I think if there were a global go back button [backspace] and then the [Esc] to go back to the main menu. I would fully make the switch, but I when I am stuck in a menu bc the backspace won't work it can be quite annoying.

Great Program tho!

Evan
Do I have to repeat myself over and overHuh It's all keymappable. Come up with a decent map that works better than the current and it'll be added to SVN for everyone to use.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

rimmi2002 Wrote:I think all will work well if backspace did the same function as ESC while playing the video....

For the XBMC Version for XBOX that works since years perfectly, the keymapping it great.

But on PC not the keymaps for XBOX will be used, that are the <remote> parts. Instead the <keyboard> parts will be used.

And the <keyboard> keymapping parts doesn´t match the <remote> keymapping parts and parts like SystemSettings are incomplete.

example:

Code:
<SystemSettings>
    <gamepad>
      <B>PreviousMenu</B>
    </gamepad>

<joystick name="Microsoft Xbox Controller S">
      <altname>Mad Catz MicroCON</altname>
      <altname>Logitech Xbox Cordless Controller</altname>
      <button id="2">PreviousMenu</button>
    </joystick>

<remote>
      <back>PreviousMenu</back>
    </remote>
  </SystemSettings>

There is no entry for <keyboard> therefore backspace not working and you can not leave the Setting-Menu.

But by editing the keymap like this it will work:

Code:
<Settings>
    <gamepad>
      <B>PreviousMenu</B>
    </gamepad>

<joystick name="Microsoft Xbox Controller S">
      <altname>Mad Catz MicroCON</altname>
      <altname>Logitech Xbox Cordless Controller</altname>
      <button id="2">PreviousMenu</button>
    </joystick>

<remote>
      <back>PreviousMenu</back>
    </remote>
[b]   <keyboard>
      <backspace>PreviousMenu</backspace>
    </keyboard>[/b]
  </Settings>

rimmi2002 Wrote:Meaning pressing backspace will minimize the video and take you to the directory it was running from.

For this you must using " tab " on the keyboard.

I can edit the keymap.xml so that the keymapping works like on xbox, but only if somebody with access to the xbmc project updating the keymap.xml.

But perharps a keymap for the keymap.xml would the best solution, based on the keymap for the XBOX
Hello,

i have edit the whole keymap.xml. Now it should worked without problems. The keymap for PC is now like the keymapping for XBOX.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/xdays/xbmc/Keymap.xml

Please try it, hope somebody with access can it upload into the svn.

I used the XBOX1 remote as reference.

Code:
[b]For the remote software[/b]

Menu = escape
Back = backspace
Title = c
Info = i
Display = tabulator
OK / Select = return

Reverse = r
FastForward = f
Play = p
Stop = x
Pause = space
Skip+ = period
Skip- = comma
I'd suggest posting this on trac so that it's permanent and won't get lost in the forum noise.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ultra... I created a ticket for you

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5710#comment:1
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
jmarshall, am I wrong in understanding that, while using EventGhost, one cannot have events customized according to the section of XBMC they happen?
In EventGhost I see "Previous Menu" and "Parent Dir", but it's tough to decide between the two, as "Parent Dir" does not take you out of the Weather section. On the other hand, having two different remote buttons assigned for these very similar actions appears counterintuitive.
I'm in the process of writing a tutorial on the Wiki, for EventGhost+MCE and I'd obviously like to provide the most requested version of the keymap.
For myself, I fixed this issue by keeping the globals as they are:
<backspace>ParentDir</backspace>
<escape>PreviousMenu</escape>

but changing every occurences of
<escape>Close</escape>
to
<backspace>Close</backspace>

Not sure if this will be of any use to anyone, but I though I could share my findings.
Livin Wrote:Ultra... I created a ticket for you

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5710#comment:1

Thank you, Livin.

ashlar Wrote:...In EventGhost I see "Previous Menu" and "Parent Dir", but it's tough to decide between the two, as "Parent Dir" does not take you out of the Weather section. On the other hand, having two different remote buttons assigned for these very similar actions appears counterintuitive...

That´s right, the same with the Settings section. The reason for that is, that the keyboard keymapping wasn´t correct and incomplete. But with the keymap.xml which i posted a few posting before it work.
ultramagnus Wrote:Thank you, Livin.

That´s right, the same with the Settings section. The reason for that is, that the keyboard keymapping wasn´t correct and incomplete. But with the keymap.xml which i posted a few posting before it work.
I tried and put it in the userdata folder. But it doesn't work. EventGhost doesn't talk to XBMC through keymap.xml, it talks through EventServer which, AFAIK, is less configurable, at least currently.
But that's why I was asking jmarshall, maybe I'm missing something.
Oh, OK. It seems to be that the EventServer don´t use the keymap.xml, therefore it not work. But the normal keyboard-emulation should work for eventghost.
...except for the fact that you can not navigate the onscreen keyboard using the keyboard controls.
kricker Wrote:...except for the fact that you can not navigate the onscreen keyboard using the keyboard controls.
Put this in advancedsettings.xml:
Code:
<navigatevirtualkeyboard>true</navigatevirtualkeyboard>
Edit: I've updated the wiki on this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC "BACK" verses the "ESCAPE" button?2