Storing Movie infomation to NFO files next to the video file?
Hey there,
I'm desperately trying to setup kodi for several clients. I just spend the day to setup a mysql database for kodi, but I just won't work, and having diefferent clients (Windows, Enigma2, ubuntu) I wonder how much work it will be to maintain the whole thing.
So I was wondering if it is also possible to just use one client that scrapes the information and stores it to nfo and art work files, located next to the video files. So the other clients don't scrape from the internet, but only from the local nfo files. I had something in that way using, I think it was Plex media center on my freenas ( but that was also a lot of effort to maintain) - I looking for a simple, robust solution to share the same "library" for several clients.
Only one client needs to be able to add new content, and I don't need to share "watched" information across clients (all clients are separate families, everyone has only one device).

I'd be very grateful, for any help or hint!
-Tobi
You can use just one Kodi client for scraping, all metadata info would be stored in the video database. Art files will be stored on each device in the thumbnail cache.

One thing to start with is to have a common network protocol for each device to use. SMB seems to be the best option, but NFS should be supported well by all Kodi clients.

Also, all connected clients need to be the same major Kodi version: 17, 18 or 19 ...

Separate families as in outside your own home?
(2021-07-25, 14:53)huibu Wrote: I'm desperately trying to setup kodi for several clients. I just spend the day to setup a mysql database for kodi, but I just won't work, and having diefferent clients (Windows, Enigma2, ubuntu) I wonder how much work it will be to maintain the whole thing.

So, the best thing to do here is set it up for one client first.  Add the sources etc to this client and just use this first client for adding and updating content. I recommend that you do this first and get your content showing before adding another client.  If you get stuck at this point and can't see your content then there isn't much point proceeding, in which case, just ask for some help here.

Once you have some content added and it is showing in your first client, you can create an advancedsettings.xml to connect a second client to the db. Note that you do not need to add any sources or anything to the second client, just AS.xml.  Once the second client has been(re)started your library(s) should appear on it.
You can now continue to add further clients in the same way.

If you use the first client to add or update some content, this will now be reflected on all the other clients connected to the shared db.  To maintain the whole thing easily, just use the first client you set up to add/update/remove content and all the others will automatically follow.  In fact, it is required to do so if you do not add the sources to the other clients.  My stuff is set up this way so that my kids cannot add my media to their systems.

Important note - You must add your content in the first client using network paths not local paths, or the other clients will not be able to play anything.  As stated above either SMB or NFS are the most common ways of making media available on a network.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-07-25, 18:21)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-07-25, 14:53)huibu Wrote: I'm desperately trying to setup kodi for several clients. I just spend the day to setup a mysql database for kodi, but I just won't work, and having diefferent clients (Windows, Enigma2, ubuntu) I wonder how much work it will be to maintain the whole thing.

So, the best thing to do here is set it up for one client first.  Add the sources etc to this client and just use this first client for adding and updating content. I recommend that you do this first and get your content showing before adding another client.  If you get stuck at this point and can't see your content then there isn't much point proceeding, in which case, just ask for some help here.

Once you have some content added and it is showing in your first client, you can create an advancedsettings.xml to connect a second client to the db. Note that you do not need to add any sources or anything to the second client, just AS.xml.  Once the second client has been(re)started your library(s) should appear on it.
You can now continue to add further clients in the same way.

If you use the first client to add or update some content, this will now be reflected on all the other clients connected to the shared db.  To maintain the whole thing easily, just use the first client you set up to add/update/remove content and all the others will automatically follow.  In fact, it is required to do so if you do not add the sources to the other clients.  My stuff is set up this way so that my kids cannot add my media to their systems.

Important note - You must add your content in the first client using network paths not local paths, or the other clients will not be able to play anything.  As stated above either SMB or NFS are the most common ways of making media available on a network.
I followed the guide in the kodi wiki the only thing I didn't come across is: "Select that you want the database to have network access when prompted during installation."
I also did: GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi'@'xxx.xxx.xxx.%'; but I still get the 1130 Error. Any suggestions?
(2021-07-26, 19:19)huibu Wrote: I also did: GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi'@'xxx.xxx.xxx.%';
Why the percentage char? kodi is a local database user, and should stick to the IP of the MySQL/MariaDB server.
Did you change the bind address option in my.ini (or my.cfg) as per the wiki instructions?

Doublecheck user settings via
sql:
SELECT Host,User FROM mysql.user;
You should get something like this.
Code:
+-----------+------------------+
| Host      | User             |
| %         | kodi             |
| %         | root             |
| localhost | debian-sys-maint |
| localhost | mysql.session    |
| localhost | mysql.sys        |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)
kodi should have the all access value in Host.

And lastly, please go easy on quoting entire posts. This forum has an intelligent quote function, when you select part of a post text. A Reply option will appear below that post, and clicking it will copy/paste the selected text into the reply box, and Bob's your uncle.
(2021-07-26, 19:19)huibu Wrote: I followed the guide in the kodi wiki the only thing I didn't come across is: "Select that you want the database to have network access when prompted during installation."
I also did: GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi'@'xxx.xxx.xxx.%'; but I still get the 1130 Error. Any suggestions?

Yes.  That error is "host is not allowed to connect".  Your GRANT statement look wrong to me. I'm assuming that if your local IP address is something like 192.168.1.x that you did actually substitute 192.168.1 for the xxx.xxx.xxx bit? For example, if your PC's IP address is 192.168.1.2 then your grant statement should be GRANT ALL on *.* to 'kodi'@'192.168.1.%' Even supposing that you did, my own GRANT statement is GRANT ALL on *.* to kodi@'%' which basically means any address.
(2021-07-26, 19:39)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-07-26, 19:19)huibu Wrote: I also did: GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi'@'xxx.xxx.xxx.%';
Why the percentage char? kodi is a local database user, and should stick to the IP of the MySQL/MariaDB server.
Did you change the bind address option in my.ini (or my.cfg) as per the wiki instructions?

Doublecheck user settings via
sql:
SELECT Host,User FROM mysql.user;
You should get something like this.

Code:
| Host      | User             |
| %         | kodi             |
| %         | root             |
| localhost | debian-sys-maint |
| localhost | mysql.session    |
| localhost | mysql.sys        |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)
kodi should have the all access value in Host.

And lastly, please go easy on quoting entire posts. This forum has an intelligent quote function, when you select part of a post text. A Reply option will appear below that post, and clicking it will copy/paste the selected text into the reply box, and Bob's your uncle.
Thank you very much the reply. Unfortunately it doesn't give me any output, no error message either, just a new line with "->".

Yeah, I did GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi'@'192.168.100.%'
So much for going easy on the quoting... Rolleyes Rofl (jk)
Quote:Why the percentage char? kodi is a local database user, and should stick to the IP of the MySQL/MariaDB server.
The percent is form the instrucions, I thought it's so any ip from the network could access the db.
No, I couldn't find the bind address option. I looked again, but coudln't find anywhere.
(2021-07-27, 12:44)Klojum Wrote: So much for going easy on the quoting... Rolleyes Rofl (jk)

Sorry Eek  the quote mechanism is a bit different form what I'm used to, but I promise improvements!
Yeah, I saw that. Apparently not every NAS setup in the wiki has been given the same content. We'll need to dive into that later.

You can find references to the bind-address in the Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi tabs of the MySQL wiki page.
(2021-07-26, 19:39)Klojum Wrote: Did you change the bind address option in my.ini (or my.cfg) as per the wiki instructions?
I saw that the bind address is in the ubuntu instruction, my mysql server is running on a windows computer. I probably should have said so. Undecided
It'll apply to Windows systems too.
(2021-07-27, 12:30)huibu Wrote: Thank you very much the reply. Unfortunately it doesn't give me any output, no error message either, just a new line with "->".

Then you have forgotten the semi-colon at the end of the line Wink
(2021-07-27, 12:30)huibu Wrote: Yeah, I did GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi'@'192.168.100.%'

Well the instructions say
Quote:GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'kodi';

No IP address. But I think with the percentage sign what you're looking for is
Quote:GRANT ALL ON *%* TO 'kodi';

Which isn't very secure, as it grants everything on your network access to the db, but also any device not on your network (I think). But what I would suggest is trying Mariadb. It has a gui and was just a few clicks to get it up and running.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Storing Movie infomation to NFO files next to the video file?0