IMDb scraper hang and iso subtitles
Just installed XBMC for Linux. Really nice - planning on replacing my three MythTV media clients with XBMC as soon as the project completes beta testing.

Thought I would pass along a couple of items:

I serve DVD .iso files from a central Linux server running samba. FWIW, I mount the video directories on the xbmc client and access the media files using the mount.

While scanning the movie directories, I found the process would hang indefinitely on particular movies. If I scanned just that movie, it would hang, but I could cancel the scan. When scanning the entire directory, I couldn't find a way to cancel once the scan hung.

It turned out to be the content filter on my firewall causing problems. I added imdb.com, impawards.com, and media-imdb.com to my site exceptions list and the scans then completed successfully. I also noticed if I pulled the network cable before scanning the problem movies, the error is handled correctly. It seems the scraper code may be assuming it is going to get valid information back at some point in the process and doesn't deal well with it if the site is blocked.

I also noted that subtitles appear to default to 'on' when viewing DVD iso files. I scanned the Trac bug database and noted a very old report discussing this issue. It sounded like subtitles default to on for everything except DVD, and iso images are not considered DVDs. I couldn't find an option for changing this behavior, but I'm still finding my way around, so I may be missing it. If not, it seems like something that should be addressed post feature freeze.

All-in-all a fantastic application. Much easier setup and better user experience than other solutions I've used. Thanks to the developers.

jfath
There's an on-screen options menu that can be popped up during DVD playback. In that you can turn off subtitles and make that the default if you want. sorry I cannot be more exact but it's how I had to take care of the subtitle issue myself months ago :-O
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IMDb scraper hang and iso subtitles0