New ffmpeg libraries for those having problems since beta2 - please test
sooo much better. Went from stuttering to perfectly smooth on 1080p on my Athlon X2 3Ghz. Thanks!
This update has done nothing to improve my stuttering. I'm on a Vista 64bit machine though - Is the majority of improvement being seen on Linux boxes? Beta 1 is performing much better for me than Beta 2.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm on Windoze. (See sig)

I did notice last night while testing possible fixes on a sluggish menu issue that if vertical sync is disabled the tearing is worse than ever -- in both video playback and in the menus.

May be worth checking out?
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
TechLife Wrote:I did notice last night while testing possible fixes on a sluggish menu issue that if vertical sync is disabled the tearing is worse than ever -- in both video playback and in the menus.
May be worth checking out?

Not related to the ffmpeg libraries but of course worth to check out Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
BrokenRecord Wrote:This update has done nothing to improve my stuttering. I'm on a Vista 64bit machine though - Is the majority of improvement being seen on Linux boxes? Beta 1 is performing much better for me than Beta 2.

This dlls are for windows only. The only difference for the video playback of beta1 is the multi processor support which beta2 added.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Hi Wiso. The issue that's been discussed in the jittery playback discussion... I understand that 48Hz/72Hz are peculiar refresh rates that do not affect the majority, so they might not be priority right now but... I have heavy judder at 60Hz too, when playing back 23.976 material.
And it's not the normal 3:2 judder, far, far worse.
ashlar Wrote:Hi Wiso. The issue that's been discussed in the jittery playback discussion... I understand that 48Hz/72Hz are peculiar refresh rates that do not affect the majority, so they might not be priority right now but... I have heavy judder at 60Hz too, when playing back 23.976 material.
And it's not the normal 3:2 judder, far, far worse.

Same here..
Using Intel dual core CPU, Nvidia graphics card and Windows Vista with advanced skin disabled.
I'm of not much help here since my core topic isn't the dvdplayer. Since this topic affects also the other ports I guess the awareness is there.
@WiSo: I guess I was kinda talking about two things at once so my response was muddled.

I was suggesting to BrokenRecord that he see if VSync is enabled for playback. It was my observation that if it is disabled, he may not notice the positive effect of the DLL updates because you'll still get the tearing as a result of VSync - not that one had anything to do with the other.

Anyway, I thank you again for the DLL update -- it made a HUGE difference for me...like half of my content was unbearable to watch before :p

Also, thanks for the point in the direction on the idle CPU usage...very helpful in another issue I'm working on...off to do my homework Laugh
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Watching videos suffered from 'jumping' (as my wife put it) and the updated files fixed. It is now smooth.

Thank you.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
WiSo Wrote:I'm of not much help here since my core topic isn't the dvdplayer. Since this topic affects also the other ports I guess the awareness is there.
I didn't find evidence on the other versions. Is it a problem on Linux/Mac too?
Am I being thick? That link doesn't give me a zip file
disposalist Wrote:Am I being thick? That link doesn't give me a zip file
It is a 7-zip file.
kricker Wrote:It is a 7-zip file.

Oo thanks Wink

Just tried it - no joy. Still getting a flickering thin black band in the lower third of the screen and the rest at bad frame rate. This happens for about 25% of the viewing time for a few seconds at a time. I'm using a Windows XP PC with ATI HD2600pro set at 1080x1920 24fps (has to be else the Onkyo 875 amp scrambles the picture). AVI to HDMI converter to the Onkyo then HDMI to Samsung PS63P76 plasma.

Windows Media Player handles the same files fine, by the way, though the quality is worse...
Thanks for the new libs.

I was slow to update to Beta 2, life's been busy. Oo

I thought i was going insane last night, all of my 720p content was out of sync when playing at 1080p and I was having to restart with xbmc in 720p mode (app + player res) in order for them to play w/o the jerky video and OOS audio.

With the new libs I am able to play all the content perfectly again.

Probably useless data, but anyway:

Intel E8500
4GB
Vista x64 Ultimate
NVIDIA 7900GT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New ffmpeg libraries for those having problems since beta2 - please test0