Consecutive Playback of Split Video Files
Does XBMC have the ability to automatically detect and consecutive play split video files (ie. CD1.avi and CD2.avi)? This handy feature is available in some other media software, but I haven't been able to find a way to evoke this function in XBMC.

Perhaps it's planned for a future update.
It does it by default if you have stacking enabled. If it doesn't, then your files don't match the regexp for stacking, or you turned off the feature (treat stacks as a single file).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:It does it by default if you have stacking enabled. If it doesn't, then your files don't match the regexp for stacking, or you turned off the feature (treat stacks as a single file).

Thank you for the prompt reply, jmarshall.

I have stacking enabled, and the "treat stacks as single file" turned on, but still no consecutive play. The only difference in the two *avi files I'm testing is that one includes the string "CD1" and the other "CD2".

How exactly do I determine if my "files don't match the regexp for stacking"?
I just found another movie folder in my collection that has two split files ... and the consecutive play (stacking feature) works fine. Therefore, there must be some characteristic about the particular files that doesn't work.

The file names contain 82 alphanumeric characters. Perhaps this is too long a file name for stacking. I'll reduce the length of the file name, and test the files again.
I reduced the file name from 82 to 63 alphanumeric characters, and now the stacking feature works.

It seems that there may be a limit to the length of the alphanumeric string that can be handled by stacking.

After using XBMC for about a week, I'm still absolutely impressed with this media center.
There is no limit based on text length. It's a regexp that's run.

Basically:

foo - CD1.avi
foo - CD2.avi

will match, as will foo - Part 1.avi, foo - Part 2.avi
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Stacking

Wink
Directions on making the stacked files play Seamlessly? There's a definite pause/loading phase of about 3-5 seconds for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Consecutive Playback of Split Video Files0