Audio S/PDIF OUT Fails on Beta2, worked on Beta1
Beta2 has some Audio quirks that were not present in Beta1.

Both Beta1 and Beta2 builds were built fresh (not upgraded) from LiveCD and put on USB sticks and used on the same PC (ASUS T3-M2NC51PV, AD 1888-B audio chipeset, using the S/PDIF OUT on PC to a recent receiver (less than 2 years old, has s/pdif inputs and hdmi,etc...)).

In Beta1, I never had an issue with the Audio S/PDIF OUT. I would boot Beta1, my receiver would register the audio channel on the front display (usually a small PCM light would flash on) and I would get all menu noises, all media would have audio etc.

In Beta2, I boot up and I do not get the PCM light on the receiver. Some media files that played flawlessly in Beta1 would have no audio output in Beta2. Oddly, some media files did have audio, I will attempt to analyze which ones do and which ones didn't once I get back home and post the results. I didn't get any menu noises at all.
nrk666 Wrote:Beta2 has some Audio quirks that were not present in Beta1.

Both Beta1 and Beta2 builds were built fresh (not upgraded) from LiveCD and put on USB sticks and used on the same PC (ASUS T3-M2NC51PV, AD 1888-B audio chipeset, using the S/PDIF OUT on PC to a recent receiver (less than 2 years old, has s/pdif inputs and hdmi,etc...)).

In Beta1, I never had an issue with the Audio S/PDIF OUT. I would boot Beta1, my receiver would register the audio channel on the front display (usually a small PCM light would flash on) and I would get all menu noises, all media would have audio etc.

In Beta2, I boot up and I do not get the PCM light on the receiver. Some media files that played flawlessly in Beta1 would have no audio output in Beta2. Oddly, some media files did have audio, I will attempt to analyze which ones do and which ones didn't once I get back home and post the results. I didn't get any menu noises at all.

search here for alsamixer. you will need to unmute your iec958 and possibly change your digital output settings in XBMC settings menu from it;s current iec958 to read default.

I suggest you play I file you cannot currently get audio from while doing this and as soon as you turn on the right setting in the alsamixer you will get sound.

quickly- ctl-alt-f2 login xbmc pass xbmc then type alsamixer now the arrows will navigate M to mute or unmute and esc to quite then ctl-alt-f7 to get back to xbmc. I am not sure if you need to be root if so just type sudo alsamixer and then xbmc as password.

rgds,

Dave
Ah, that did indeed work. Thanks.

Newb mistake on my part.
nrk666 Wrote:Ah, that did indeed work. Thanks.

Newb mistake on my part.

Linux and alsa usually mute the iec958 by default, I am surprised it worked for you in Beta1.

Glad I could help.

rgds,

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Linux and alsa usually mute the iec958 by default, I am surprised it worked for you in Beta1.

Glad I could help.

rgds,

Dave

Actually, I seem to recall doing it in Beta1 now that you had mentioned it, it did completely slip my mind on Beta2 however. As soon as I read your response I did a mental "doh!" Homer style.
I think I may have a similar issue. If this will fix it, I will be a happy camper. However, I would like some feedback before I attempt anything.

I have a Gigiabyte MB (GA-73PVM-S2H) with integrated S/PDIF. I have the audio set to digital out. However, I get no audio sounds for menus or any media with analog (PCM) audio. I do get audio on media with Bitstream (Dolby Digital or DTS) tracks only. If I connect to the analog audio outputs I get audio all of the time.

So my issue is that PCM audio will not work, while Bitsream will. Will this fix allow all audio to be output via the S/PDIF connector?

Thanks.

Nevermind. I found my answer by searching in the Linux build forum. Search is your friend.
SantzHex !
What was the solution? I have the same motherboard with the same promlem.
Kismukk Wrote:SantzHex !
What was the solution? I have the same motherboard with the same promlem.

See the post by rodercot above.

Boot XBMC, and play a file that has the audio issue.
Press Ctl + Alt + F2 on the keyboard.
Enter "xbmc" for both the username and password.
At the cursor, enter "alsamixer", then hit enter
Cursor over to "iec958", and press m to unmute
You should hear your audio coming through now.
Press Ctl + Alt + F7 to return to XBMC.
I cant get any sound at all from my S/PDIF, system sounds or otherwise. When I go to alsamixer i have IEC958 which I can unmute but I cant increase the volume ( no box above)I also have IEC958 Playback AC97-SPA which I can unmute and increase the volume but still no sound.
I've tried unmuting everthing in Alsamixer and winding up all the volumes but still nothing.
Card is shown as Nvidia nForce2 and chip Realtek ALC650F
I have also tried all combinations of default and IEC958 in Audio Output device and passthrough output device but still no joy.
Thanks
ptipton Wrote:I cant get any sound at all from my S/PDIF, system sounds or otherwise. When I go to alsamixer i have IEC958 which I can unmute but I cant increase the volume ( no box above)I also have IEC958 Playback AC97-SPA which I can unmute and increase the volume but still no sound.
I've tried unmuting everthing in Alsamixer and winding up all the volumes but still nothing.
Card is shown as Nvidia nForce2 and chip Realtek ALC650F
I have also tried all combinations of default and IEC958 in Audio Output device and passthrough output device but still no joy.
Thanks
Strange thing is that in Alsamixer IEC958 has the small mute/ unmute box at the bottom with no " volume slider " box above and IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA has the "volume slider" but no mute /unmute box below.
Smile 
SantzHex Wrote:See the post by rodercot above.

Boot XBMC, and play a file that has the audio issue.
Press Ctl + Alt + F2 on the keyboard.
Enter "xbmc" for both the username and password.
At the cursor, enter "alsamixer", then hit enter
Cursor over to "iec958", and press m to unmute
You should hear your audio coming through now.
Press Ctl + Alt + F7 to return to XBMC.

Worked perfectly, thanks man ! Smile
ptipton Wrote:Strange thing is that in Alsamixer IEC958 has the small mute/ unmute box at the bottom with no " volume slider " box above and IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA has the "volume slider" but no mute /unmute box below.
Still struggling with this, any ideas anyone? Thanks
Digital output is just a bitstream, it has no volume attached to control that is why you only have a mute or unmute in alsa.

That chip is a known hassle. if you use tab to go through alsa and still cannot find an another spdif output then you will have to get another sound card and disable the on-board one.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Digital output is just a bitstream, it has no volume attached to control that is why you only have a mute or unmute in alsa.

That chip is a known hassle. if you use tab to go through alsa and still cannot find an another spdif output then you will have to get another sound card and disable the on-board one.

Dave

Dave thanks, unfortunately its a shuttle XPC with only expansion slot filled with TV card so will have to look at external sound card.
Hi

I have a related issue:
Sometimes after bootup i lose sound in my HTPC (xbmc) and the only way to get it back is to manually enter alsamixer in the command line and toggle 'IEC958 Optical Raw' to off. Its really annoying and im looking a way (i think it should be simple...) to just have a command or script to turn it off on boot-up, is this possible?

thx

zeltak

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio S/PDIF OUT Fails on Beta2, worked on Beta11