Apple TV Performance
I purchased one of these @ Target (check their stores nearby, clearance price is $170), but I'm thinking about returning it.

It's not as "fast" as the XBOX. Everything feels "sluggish" on the ATV. Scrolling through my library it feels like it takes an extra moment or two to get to the next movie or show. Is this just an issue since XBMC on the Apple TV is so new?

I do enjoy the built in wireless though and the ability to play 720p is nice as well.

Target has a 90 day return policy, but I'm not sure how it will work for clearance items, so I'm in no hurry to return the device, but I figured I'd ask a few questions just to be safe.

Thanks!
I'm going to bump this, any uses care to comment on XBMC's performance on their aTV?
kirbypuckett Wrote:I'm going to bump this, any uses care to comment on XBMC's performance on their aTV?

How about tossing out some numbers of your AppleTV OS version and XBMC for mac version so we can understand what you are asking.
Yeah, I'm disappointed as well. I was hoping to be able to play some of the 720p x264 material "out there" but haven't had any luck with episodes from three different shows and a few test movies, all encoded by different groups. I know what you mean about the interface, it does feel less "snappy" than the Xbox. One of my biggest disappointments was learning that I wouldn't be able to play PAL videos at NTSC framerate, like I can with XBMC on Xbox.

That all being said, my Xbox is about six years old, so I have to question how much time it has left as a piece of hardware. I bought the AppleTV at Target, so the price was very reasonable. I think scanning music to the library is quicker. I know that the IMDb scraper works much better. Sometimes my Xbox used to lock up doing that!

What I keep telling myself is that XBMC for AppleTV is very young. Currently, there is no hardware acceleration whatsoever. My understanding is that AppleTV's GeForce 7300 has the ability to decode 720p x264 material. Looking at the price point of the AppleTV, I think that in fairly short order, it'll become the platform of choice for the majority of users. I was seriously considering building an HTPC or getting a Mac Mini, but you're talking $700+. As the number of AppleTV users increases, so, I think, will the likelihood of getting at least partial hardware acceleration. My guess is that we'll see steady software optimization and then, hopefully, hardware acceleration.

Sooner is better and I'm certainly as impatient as the next guy, but I expect (and hope!) this platform will continue to get better as time goes by, so I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

'Course, I'd love to have some of the developers tell me that my hopes are not misplaced!

Smile
davilla Wrote:How about tossing out some numbers of your AppleTV OS version and XBMC for mac version so we can understand what you are asking.

AppleTV OS: 2.2
XBMC: Atlantis Beta 2
kirbypuckett Wrote:AppleTV OS: 2.2
XBMC: Atlantis Beta 2

beta2 should have a snappy gui compared with beta1, the skins are compressed now.

you say you are running wireless, which flavor 802.11 a,b,g or n?

Since you are comparing to the XBox, was your XBox also a wireless connection?

Are your libraries local or on a network drive?
What skin are you using when judging the performance? PM3HD will be slower than the original PM3 because it uses higher resolution textures. Try switching to PM3 and compare the performance. Also, XBMC for Mac (Apple TV) uses higher resolution thumbnails that the Xbox version, so that's another factor.

Keep in mind that XBMC for Mac has not been optimized at all for Apple TV, in fact it is optimized for regular Macs. Apple TV specific optimizations can definitely be done to improve the experience in the future, however that will be after Atlantis.

Anyway, next release will have some minor performance improvements as well.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Is this thread related to this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39282 ?
Thanks for the replies guys. I was testing w/ the latest version of Aeon.

I'm streaming with wireless G and yes my XBox is wireless as well. My libraries are on a network drive.

I just read that some folks are saying that Apple TV's dropped to $115 at Target, that's enough savings to make me keep the thing if they'll refund me a few dollars.

This is me just being a bit paranoid, I mean XBMC has been on the XBox for ages and XBMC for Mac is so new, I'm sure these issues will iron themselves out.
Like I've said in a few posts, for the price, it's a great deal. The ui is a little sluggish right now if you have a graphics heavy one (vs just library/lists) but the videos I play are just great. Fortunately, this is my first experience with xbmc so I have no preconceived notions of performance.
I've been playing TV Shows episodes in 720p found "out there" with no problems, but I have always copied the files from my iMac to the AppleTV's internal hard disk or to an externally USB attached disk first. My AppleTV is running 2.1 with AtvFlash 3.2. and XBMC Atlantis Beta 2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV Performance0