Help getting Wii Remote working with XBMC Live USB
I've got XBMC Live up and running on a Dell Latitude 620D with everything going well. I wanted to try and get my Wii Remote working with it, as I read that this should work out of the box. I tried pairing the Wii remote with the laptop by pressing the 1 and 2 buttons simultaneously, but it never seemed to connect.

It seems that the bluetooth driver is loaded and that the dongle is recognized:

Code:
(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ ps -ef | grep bluetooth
root      9494  9486  0 03:30 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd-service-input

(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$lsusb | grep Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ lsmod | grep bluetooth
bluetooth              61156  7 rfcomm,l2cap,hci_usb

I've tried finding documentation or a howto, but my google-fu has failed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
pumkinut Wrote:I've got XBMC Live up and running on a Dell Latitude 620D with everything going well. I wanted to try and get my Wii Remote working with it, as I read that this should work out of the box. I tried pairing the Wii remote with the laptop by pressing the 1 and 2 buttons simultaneously, but it never seemed to connect.

It seems that the bluetooth driver is loaded and that the dongle is recognized:

Code:
(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ ps -ef | grep bluetooth
root      9494  9486  0 03:30 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd-service-input

(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$lsusb | grep Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

(T: XBMCLiveCD)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ lsmod | grep bluetooth
bluetooth              61156  7 rfcomm,l2cap,hci_usb

I've tried finding documentation or a howto, but my google-fu has failed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Doesnt work out of the box, never has Smile

Code:
ctrl+alt+f1
sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote
xbmc-wiiremote
ctrl+alt+f7
Now you can try if its working, if it is you should be able to do this:
Code:
ctrl+alt+f2
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
add
Code:
xbmc-wiiremote &
att the end
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks! Got it working.

xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote was already installed by default. I guess that's why I assumed it worked out without doing anything else. I needed the xbmc-wiiremote command to initialize everything. So, it kinda works out of the box.

Is this documented anywhere? If not, I think it needs to be since it's part of the default build. If nobody else wants to I can add it, just tell me where.
How do you get xbmc-wiiremote to autorun.

I tried adding it to rc.local but that only seems to start when the box is shutting down.

I'm using the HDD installed Live ver of XBMC
First off, did you chmod +x /etc/rc.local? If so, did you end it with an exit 0 command?

Here's what I have as my /etc/rc.local file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
xbmc-wiiremote &
exit 0

With that it just works for me. I did have to perform an

sudo apt-get install bluez-utils

in order to get bluetooth working correctly as well.
I realize this is resurrecting an old thread, but this helped me no-end while i was trying to get the wiimote working with xbmc and just thought i'd put my spin on how to get xbmc-wiiremote to run on startup (in this case on startup of xbmc).

I am Using XBMC 9.11 on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Desktop Edition (GNOME) so all references are to that, but i assume that older versions will be roughly the same.

Also as a new-again linux user there may be something that i could have done better, so i would appreciate feedback. Also i have geared it at users like me so i apologise if it is over-simplified. So here goes:

What i did was to create a script as so:

Open A terminal window (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type in the following:
Code:
gksudo gedit /usr/local/bin/customxbmc

This should open a blank text editor. Type the following into it:
Code:
xbmc-wiiremote &
xbmc

Save and close. You then make it exacutable. in Terminal type the following:
Code:
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/customxbmc

Then all you need to do is in a terminal window run 'customxbmc' or do as i have done an either create a launcher on the desktop or modify the current launcher in the menu to run the command 'customxbmc'.

Hope this saves someone the effort of googeling for half an hour trying to figure it out..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help getting Wii Remote working with XBMC Live USB0