[Apple TV] Shutdown / Standby
So in all the other Atlantis builds I notice the ‘Shutdown’ function can be reconfigured to enter the computer into a ‘Sleep’ or ‘Standby’ or ‘Suspend’ mode. The Apple TV as we know does not ever actually ‘Shutdown’ but rather simply shuts off it’s video/audio output when placed into a ‘Standby’ mode. In XBMC however there does not appear to be any way to enter the Apple TV’s ‘Standby’ mode. I imagine the problem is similar to that of the Apple TV’s screensaver, causing the wake from ‘Standby’ to push XBMC to the back again; however I was hoping for some kind of confirmation.

Essentially what I’m looking for is some way of shutting down the Apple TV when not in use. I want it to be a fresh start each time I turn on my system. So perhaps a button combination that stops all currently playing media and returns to the Main Menu of XBMC. I don’t need the system to enter Standby mode, I just don’t want to turn on my TV and find myself inside a subfolder on my network. Entering Standby mode would be a plus though, as it shuts off the LED on the front of the Apple TV, giving a visual cue that XBMC has completely reset and waiting to be used again.

This may seem like an odd request/inquirey, but I hope you understand where I’m coming from!
Tim. Wrote:So in all the other Atlantis builds I notice the ‘Shutdown’ function can be reconfigured to enter the computer into a ‘Sleep’ or ‘Standby’ or ‘Suspend’ mode. The Apple TV as we know does not ever actually ‘Shutdown’ but rather simply shuts off it’s video/audio output when placed into a ‘Standby’ mode. In XBMC however there does not appear to be any way to enter the Apple TV’s ‘Standby’ mode. I imagine the problem is similar to that of the Apple TV’s screensaver, causing the wake from ‘Standby’ to push XBMC to the back again; however I was hoping for some kind of confirmation.

Essentially what I’m looking for is some way of shutting down the Apple TV when not in use. I want it to be a fresh start each time I turn on my system. So perhaps a button combination that stops all currently playing media and returns to the Main Menu of XBMC. I don’t need the system to enter Standby mode, I just don’t want to turn on my TV and find myself inside a subfolder on my network. Entering Standby mode would be a plus though, as it shuts off the LED on the front of the Apple TV, giving a visual cue that XBMC has completely reset and waiting to be used again.

This may seem like an odd request/inquirey, but I hope you understand where I’m coming from!

The AppleTV hardware cannot do a shutdown, the power supply does not support shutdown.

There is a "sleep" mode but it's not like a normal OSX sleep. Give that standby does not really do what you think it would do, the devs are concentrating on other issues regarding RC1 release.
Any idea how much power this thing draws? I've been unplugging mine, because I'm weary of hot it can get. Especially when I'm not at my house for days at a time.

I guess it's no worse than leaving a PC running at all times though.
kirbypuckett Wrote:Any idea how much power this thing draws?

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jsp...76#4408276
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467027

Seems like it draws between 14 and 22 W Smile
A Milton Wrote:http://discussions.apple.com/message.jsp...76#4408276
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467027

Seems like it draws between 14 and 22 W Smile

Two great threads, thank you.
davilla Wrote:The AppleTV hardware cannot do a shutdown, the power supply does not support shutdown.

There is a "sleep" mode but it's not like a normal OSX sleep. Give that standby does not really do what you think it would do, the devs are concentrating on other issues regarding RC1 release.

Yeah I understand that. I am just looking for a way to easily prepare the Apple TV for it's next use without having to manually close XBMC and re-open it.

Is there a button combination that will return to the main menu? How about a 'Stop' button combination?
Tim. Wrote:Yeah I understand that. I am just looking for a way to easily prepare the Apple TV for it's next use without having to manually close XBMC and re-open it.

Is there a button combination that will return to the main menu? How about a 'Stop' button combination?

"easily prepare the Apple TV for it's next use" make no sense to me. If you want to exit XBMC, exit it. shutdown or standby have nothing to do with preparing the AppleTV for it's next use.
Okay I will try to clarify. With my current setup I have an Xbox with XBMC. When I turn it on it takes 10 seconds or so, then XBMC loads. At this point no media is playing, the RSS feed begins looping, and the home screen is displayed. When I am done using it I obviously turn it off.

What I am looking for is a method of going from currently playing a movie/song to stopping all media and returning to the main menu. This way, next time I turn on my TV a movie wont be playing or a song or something. I have a Harmony remote so I can program it any sequence of buttons needed.

I hope that clarifies. Thanks for all your help!
Tim. Wrote:Okay I will try to clarify. With my current setup I have an Xbox with XBMC. When I turn it on it takes 10 seconds or so, then XBMC loads. At this point no media is playing, the RSS feed begins looping, and the home screen is displayed. When I am done using it I obviously turn it off.

What I am looking for is a method of going from currently playing a movie/song to stopping all media and returning to the main menu. This way, next time I turn on my TV a movie wont be playing or a song or something. I have a Harmony remote so I can program it any sequence of buttons needed.

I hope that clarifies. Thanks for all your help!

video popup menu -> stop Smile
:p I figured that much out. So as of yet there is no way to do what I'm looking for? Just gotta wait till the Universal Remote settings are ported then I guess.
Tim. Wrote::p I figured that much out. So as of yet there is no way to do what I'm looking for? Just gotta wait till the Universal Remote settings are ported then I guess.

I think what you really want is the AppleTV to run XBMC.app at startup, then you can just turn the power off and on just like how your XBox works Smile

Something like this is possible but several issues need to be addressed regarding replacing Finder.app. Until XBMC for Mac goes gold and atvusb-creator works under all three platforms, I have no time for doing this.
davilla Wrote:I think what you really want is the AppleTV to run XBMC.app at startup, then you can just turn the power off and on just like how your XBox works Smile

Something like this is possible but several issues need to be addressed regarding replacing Finder.app. Until XBMC for Mac goes gold and atvusb-creator works under all three platforms, I have no time for doing this.

Yeah I knew that already Smile That's why I was looking for a workaround. I'll just wait till you finish the atvusb-creator then. Thanks!!
Hi There,

I have been setting up my ATV with the latest build of Atlantis and have got it to a point where everything is set up how i want and when it boots it starts into XBMC.

One thing i'm looking to do is to get the system to enter standby/sleep/suspend when the power option is selected in XBMC (mostly to stop it going back into the ATV interface and confusing the less technical members of my household).

I saw this thread had been quiet since October and wondered if any of the recent work on atvusb-creator and the new launcher releases had made such a thing possible?

Oh and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved for a fantastic product, its really cool to find something free that's so much better than anything else out there!
fiendmish Wrote:One thing i'm looking to do is to get the system to enter standby/sleep/suspend when the power option is selected in XBMC (mostly to stop it going back into the ATV interface and confusing the less technical members of my household).

standby/sleep/suspend is not possible on the ATV. The power supply cannot be controlled.
I like leaving my ATV in Standby mode (LED off). I use XBMC and Frontrow. Currently, I exit from XMBC, wait for FrontRow to launch (usually 10-15 seconds), and then powerdown (standby). It would be kinda cool to just hit exit on XBMC and have it put the ATV into Standby.

Not sure if it's possible or not. That being said, my Logitech Harmony remote knows how to send an instant stand-by code to the ATV (rather than holding down play for 6 seconds).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Shutdown / Standby0