[Apple TV] XBMC Black Screen through HDMI
So now that that XBMC is running pretty smoothly on my Apple TV, I noticed an issue with the video output.

I have the Apple TV plugged into my HDMI receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606), the receiver is then plugged into my 720p LCD TV via HDMI. If I use the standard apple software and turn off the TV and receiver, wait a few minutes, and turn them back on, the Apple TV shows up on the screen. If I run the XBMC application, turn off the TV and receiver, wait a few minutes, then turn them back on, all I get is a black screen.

If I plug the Apple TV straight into my TV (No receiver connections at all) and turn off the TV, wait a few minutes, turn it back on, then XBMC comes up. However before it does I get a 'Weak or No Signal' error for about 2 seconds, sometimes followed by a 'Signal Out of Range' for another 2 seconds, then a black screen for another 3 seconds or so, then XBMC shows up. XBMC fades in, rather than just instantly showing up on the screen. Also, if a screen saver in XBMC is running (Dim, for instance) when the TV is turned off, when I turn it on the screen saver has been exited, as if a button on the remote had been pressed.

I imagine that whatever funky thing is going on with the HDMI output is confusing my receiver causing it to only receive the black screen. Shouldn't the Apple TV's output always be active even when the TV is off? If I turn the TV off and on I would imagine the resolution and output signal wouldn't change in the process.

Any ideas?
Tim. Wrote:So now that that XBMC is running pretty smoothly on my Apple TV, I noticed an issue with the video output.

I have the Apple TV plugged into my HDMI receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606), the receiver is then plugged into my 720p LCD TV via HDMI. If I use the standard apple software and turn off the TV and receiver, wait a few minutes, and turn them back on, the Apple TV shows up on the screen. If I run the XBMC application, turn off the TV and receiver, wait a few minutes, then turn them back on, all I get is a black screen.

If I plug the Apple TV straight into my TV (No receiver connections at all) and turn off the TV, wait a few minutes, turn it back on, then XBMC comes up. However before it does I get a 'Weak or No Signal' error for about 2 seconds, sometimes followed by a 'Signal Out of Range' for another 2 seconds, then a black screen for another 3 seconds or so, then XBMC shows up. XBMC fades in, rather than just instantly showing up on the screen. Also, if a screen saver in XBMC is running (Dim, for instance) when the TV is turned off, when I turn it on the screen saver has been exited, as if a button on the remote had been pressed.

I imagine that whatever funky thing is going on with the HDMI output is confusing my receiver causing it to only receive the black screen. Shouldn't the Apple TV's output always be active even when the TV is off? If I turn the TV off and on I would imagine the resolution and output signal wouldn't change in the process.

Any ideas?

It's a side effect of how XBMCLauncher gets in front of FrontRow. At the current time, there is no solution besides quitting XBMC before playing hdmi games.
davilla Wrote:It's a side effect of how XBMCLauncher gets in front of FrontRow. At the current time, there is no solution besides quitting XBMC before playing hdmi games.

lol.
Hahah. Figured as much.

Thanks again!
Searching the forum would probably help, too:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39195
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=hdmi

and finally a ticket with a possible fix is here:
http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...etail?id=6

Feel free to try and post to that issue if it's fixed with that version.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Tim. Wrote:Hahah. Figured as much.

Thanks again!

Tim. PM me your email address, I'd like to test a special build of XBMC for Mac to see if it resolves this issue.
davilla Wrote:Tim. PM me your email address, I'd like to test a special build of XBMC for Mac to see if it resolves this issue.

PM Sent.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] XBMC Black Screen through HDMI0