Desperate request: Hide thumbnail on unwatched shows!
Hey all! First post here!

Thanks for the MediaStream skin. I LOVE it. Smile

I really appreciate the "Hide plot synopsis on unwatched episodes" option. That said, is it possible to also have a "Hide thumbnail on unwatched episodes" as well? It's a total spoiler to see characters or moments of episodes I haven't watched.

I'm not sure how hard that would be to implement, but I for one would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!
How much of a spoiler can a single image be?
Hitcher Wrote:How much of a spoiler can a single image be?

A great deal, actually. I've seen characters that were "dead" the episode before appearing in the image before I watched the episode. I've seen people holding murder weapons etc etc, thereby ruining a moment to come. It really is a terrible spoiler revealer, some times worse than others, for sure, but a spoiler nonetheless. Sad
WilliamG Wrote:A great deal, actually. I've seen characters that were "dead" the episode before appearing in the image before I watched the episode. I've seen people holding murder weapons etc etc, thereby ruining a moment to come. It really is a terrible spoiler revealer, some times worse than others, for sure, but a spoiler nonetheless. Sad

Yea I agree, I've had episodes spoiled because of thumbnails Undecided
migueld Wrote:Yea I agree, I've had episodes spoiled because of thumbnails Undecided

Well let's see what they say, and if it's possible.

*crosses fingers*
maybe you should go back to where the thumbnails came from and try to have the images changed. i don't believe any thumbnail should have any major spoiler images.
Contribute to TheTVDB.com - The Online TV Database
flipped cracker Wrote:maybe you should go back to where the thumbnails came from and try to have the images changed. i don't believe any thumbnail should have any major spoiler images.

Correct -

Quote:6. Images should be an non-spoiler action shot from the episode not randomly generated so we just get a shot of a building or a street light.

From -

http://www.thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php/Episode_Images
I would also love a feature to hide thumbnails of unwatched episodes.

Going via thetvdb is possible - but if you haven't seen something and there's a spoiler in the image, you'll still be spoiled even if you request the thumbnail to be changed!
I understand that thetvdb.com is not SUPPOSED to show thumbnails from anything important, but quite simply, this isn't true.

Every TV show I've watched lately has had the episode spoiled.

e.g. Weeds. I'd say at least one in two thumbnails for the three seasons I've watched now have had spoilers, especially the last episode of season 3, spoiled before I even watched it. That's the way to end a show I'm enjoying.

Excuse me if I come across angry. It's because I am. You can quote me all of thetvdb's mission statements, but if they don't amount to anything, the public will speak out. In this case, for me (and others apparently), the thumbnails are spoiling the episode. I will not be using XBMC for much longer if this continues, and neither will several people I know either. It really is frustrating, especially since XBMC is just superb, and the effort was made to hide the plot before you've watched the episode. How hard can it be to just say, "OK, we'll remove the thumbnail, too!"

If it's not feasible, I'd just like to know so I can move on. Tired of good TV shows being spoiled before they're watched...
Please complain to thetvdb.com then - they have their own forums. I'm sure they'd be most happy to remove the offending thumbs if you point them out - after all, it's in everyone's best interest.

It's not currently doable from the skin (other than turning all thumbs off based on the hide unwatched plots setting).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Please complain to thetvdb.com then - they have their own forums. I'm sure they'd be most happy to remove the offending thumbs if you point them out - after all, it's in everyone's best interest.

It's not currently doable from the skin (other than turning all thumbs off based on the hide unwatched plots setting).

Cheers,
Jonathan

There's really no way for the skin to download the thumbs as normal, but only display them after the episode has been watched?

Sad
WilliamG Wrote:Excuse me if I come across angry. It's because I am. You can quote me all of thetvdb's mission statements, but if they don't amount to anything, the public will speak out. In this case, for me (and others apparently), the thumbnails are spoiling the episode. I will not be using XBMC for much longer if this continues, and neither will several people I know either. It really is frustrating, especially since XBMC is just superb, and the effort was made to hide the plot before you've watched the episode. How hard can it be to just say, "OK, we'll remove the thumbnail, too!"

If it's not feasible, I'd just like to know so I can move on. Tired of good TV shows being spoiled before they're watched...

I understand your frustration but you don't really mean to stop using xbmc just for this issue do you? Wink Worse comes to worst, just use another view, maybe list view, or another skin, or maybe mod media stream Wink

Don't lose hope though, razorfish hasn't reponded yet, so there may still be a solution Wink
migueld Wrote:I understand your frustration but you don't really mean to stop using xbmc just for this issue do you? Wink Worse comes to worst, just use another view, maybe list view, or another skin, or maybe mod media stream Wink

Don't lose hope though, razonfish hasn't reponded yet, so there may still be a solution Wink

It's really a big issue to me, sadly. I'm tired of having to close my eyes before watching every episode so that I don't by accident see the thumbnail. Shocked Oo

Hopefully there will be a solution....
I repeat:

Quote:It's not currently doable from the skin (other than turning all thumbs off based on the hide unwatched plots setting).

It's as simple as that. It requires features to be added to XBMC, and this will not be done as we're in a feature freeze.

Once we're out of the feature freeze, then I'm more than happy to look into it. The whole area of overlays (watched/unwatched etc.) has been begging for a decent cleanup, and when done this will be doable from the skin. I'm not sure if there's a trac ticket for this or not (check ones assigned to me specifically) - if not, please make one so that we do not forget.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:I repeat:

It's as simple as that. It requires features to be added to XBMC, and this will not be done as we're in a feature freeze.

Once we're out of the feature freeze, then I'm more than happy to look into it. The whole area of overlays (watched/unwatched etc.) has been begging for a decent cleanup, and when done this will be doable from the skin. I'm not sure if there's a trac ticket for this or not (check ones assigned to me specifically) - if not, please make one so that we do not forget.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks for the reply! Where does one open a ticket for this sort of thing?

Thanks again..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Desperate request: Hide thumbnail on unwatched shows!0