Tearing/twitching in XBMC
First of all, sorry for a somewhat bad enligsh.
I´ve recently discoverd the wounders of XBMC. I love the layout (MediaStrem, Aeon - skins), the smoth scarping and the file-compability.

But the movie playback really isn´t at the same level as the other aspects. First there is almost constantly a little bit of twitching, espesially at panings and tilts. I guess this is both because of Hz-settings with the movie playing and the TV (66Hz) not being the same. But I can still se this twitching being reduced when watching the same clips in VLC or even Windows Media Player (with the Vista Codec Package).

I´ve also noticed quite a lot of tearing in practicly every movie I´ve looked at. This tearing completely dissapears when watching the movie in WMP or VLC.

I´ve studied the forum a bit, and this seems like something that I´m not alone to experince. A.k.a Xbmc really has some issues with this fenomenon.

And so my question is how is the future for XBMC looking? Are there current developments focusing on this issues? As I said, I love everything about XBMC, except for the (compared to other video-playback-programs) lacking of good video playback.
Have you enabled vsync (settings->appearance->screen)?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yes, V-sync is enabled. Tried it disabled to, but that makes it 10 times worse.
Well tearing isn't much we can do about. It's up to the gfx's opengl drivers. Many are broken in this regards. Also many only work when running opengl in fullscreen.

Also, current svn makes use of the vblank syncing to reduce the micro stutter abit. But it does require that vsync is working. (which it isn't if you get tearing).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Change the the renderer from Software to Basic hardware. Stopped it for me.
elupus Wrote:Well tearing isn't much we can do about. It's up to the gfx's opengl drivers. Many are broken in this regards. Also many only work when running opengl in fullscreen.

Also, current svn makes use of the vblank syncing to reduce the micro stutter abit. But it does require that vsync is working. (which it isn't if you get tearing).
Could you share any insight on how you plan to solve the problem, then?
Could we have a list of drivers that you deem "up to the task"?
HexusOdy Wrote:Change the the renderer from Software to Basic hardware. Stopped it for me.

I found a setting for renderer under settings --> Player --> Render Method, is that the one you are talking about? If so which hardware setting did you pick? There were 2 of them Advanced shaders and basic shaders.
shadowdragon Wrote:I found a setting for renderer under settings --> Player --> Render Method, is that the one you are talking about? If so which hardware setting did you pick? There were 2 of them Advanced shaders and basic shaders.

Basic shaders.
HexusOdy Wrote:Basic shaders.

I tried both the basic and the advanced and panning still stutters, not a huge amount, but still noticeable. I wonder if I'm on the same page here. Does that setting apply to the dvd player only, or would it also apply to running a .mkv from the local hard drive, cause thats what I'm doing and rendering settings did not affect the quality of the panning movement.

Thx for your suggestion Smile

I'm running a 6000+ with radeon hd 3200 gpu on a asus m3a78-em mobo through the hdmi port.
shadowdragon Wrote:I tried both the basic and the advanced and panning still stutters, not a huge amount, but still noticeable. I wonder if I'm on the same page here. Does that setting apply to the dvd player only, or would it also apply to running a .mkv from the local hard drive, cause thats what I'm doing and rendering settings did not affect the quality of the panning movement.

Thx for your suggestion Smile

I'm running a 6000+ with radeon hd 3200 gpu on a asus m3a78-em mobo through the hdmi port.
You might not have found it but there's been already a long discussion on the subject and no, you're not alone in this.
ashlar Wrote:You might not have found it but there's been already a long discussion on the subject and no, you're not alone in this.

good to know and thx Smile
Check this discussion: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38530
Thans for the link ashlar. I´ve red trough most of the discussion and I guess it confirms some of the things I´m seeing.

My conclusion for this is that as long as XBMC does not allow for other codes than the integrated I will look for some other inteface on my HTPC, or perhaps just run my files trough Media Player Classic on XP or Vista.

But as soon as XBMC is more developed in the viewing purpose I will instantly return since the interface, layout etc. is by far the smoothest and sexiest there is today.
What is your Vsync setting? I found that the smoothest playback only comes if XBMC is set to "let driver decide" and you have vsync forced in your video card settings. Even setting Vsync to "always on" resulted in a bit of jitter during playback.
mitul103 Wrote:What is your Vsync setting? I found that the smoothest playback only comes if XBMC is set to "let driver decide" and you have vsync forced in your video card settings. Even setting Vsync to "always on" resulted in a bit of jitter during playback.

I will check that later today after work, i know my vsync is set to always on, i'll try your sugestion, also the thread given above by Ashlar also had a link to some new libraires, i'll try that too, as a few have had some success.

Great suggestion and thx.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tearing/twitching in XBMC0