Best H.264 720p playback replacement for XBMC on Xbox?
hi, i'm quite shure that this question was asked thousands of times before but i couldnt find any helping answers.
i'm running XBMC on my modded xbox since a few years and am nearly absolutely happy with it. the only thing i miss is more performance to playback 720p + content as *.mkv files.
now that xbmc is ported to different platforms i think it could be the right time to switch to another system.
which would be a cheap replacement running xbmc nearly as stable as my old xbox with full hd support?
thx for your help
I want the same thing. I tried using Vista Media Center, which works great in my TV room, but I tried a Linksys extender in the bedroom and it is not quite as nice as my old xbox, which I already gave to my kids and cannot take back Sad I am hoping that as xbmc live progresses more I will be able to use my PS3 running ubuntu for this. Or perhaps someone will come up with a super-quiet computer which is xbox-like and runs HD video.
I'm afraid, there's no decent alternative....
I went through different solutions, the hardware ones suffer form a comparable codec support, the software ones often lack on look and feel (when you're used to XBMC).

I had the same isse with my XBOX besides it's bulky and loud...

When I noticed, that XBMC works on the AppleTV Hardware, I decided go that road down!
Alos this hardware is not CPU rich - Don't even think you'll have a 1080 capable player, but it runs 720p h.264 fine!

Regards, netwho
i wouldnt have a problem with going on with using xbmc. but i need a modern replacement for my old xbox. i also thought about updating to an appletv but i dont want to update to an device which couldnt play fullhd content.
if i would setup a mediapc, would it be possible to run xbmc and include live tv features by plugin or run live tv programs out of xbmc?
Apple TV ..

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

use this to install XBMC ..

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

my friend was telling me about it , i haven't done it myself.
Apple TV is the easiest, just beware that it's a pretty underpowered machine (relative to a real PC, it's several times faster than an xbox) - you'll be able to do 720p in general, but probably not any 1080p.
if i should upgrade to a new platform i wont buy a system which cant handle todays resolutions. by this time i just have an 720p tv but i dont want to spend money for a third system if i upgrade to an 1080p tv...
if the atv could play 1080p content i'd love it but as you said, its just to weak to find place in my livingroom...
How about a mini mac? its double the price of a appleTV, but its got a proper dual core processor. I have 1 of the first PPC G4 ones, used it as my main PC for a year without any problems.
I'm wondering about the G4 mac mini .... I had such a model running with a MythTV frontend and suffered big times with upscaling due to lack of cpu power.

-netwho
My old Mini Mac, a G4 only had 256Mb ram, i upgraded it to 1Gb. That was more than enough ram back 2 years ago. I never used it for any video watching, did all that on my xbox. I sold it to a friend about a year ago for £100. You could probably get a second hand first generation intel mini mac for a resionable price now.
jt0451 Wrote:My old Mini Mac, a G4 only had 256Mb ram, i upgraded it to 1Gb. That was more than enough ram back 2 years ago. I never used it for any video watching, did all that on my xbox. I sold it to a friend about a year ago for £100. You could probably get a second hand first generation intel mini mac for a resionable price now.

A G4 Mac Mini won't run xbmc at all, so that's not an option. I believe there are some folks working to port xbmc to ppc, but I'm pretty sure they aren't nearly done. Even with a perfect ppc port, the G4 Mac Mini is probably less powerful than an Apple TV CPU wise and it's definitely inferior on the GPU side (no idea what's in an old Mac Mini, just sure it's not good). Even a brand new Mac Mini with a Core 2 Duo would struggle to do 1080p in XBMC (craptacular Intel GMA950).
If you can stomach building a PC yourself, or know anybody who can, the best option by far is to build a nice mini-itx fanless computer, and use XBMC Live on it.

If that's not an option for you, then get an old laptop, and run XBMC Live on that.
Maybe it would help to give up xbmc for high def.I know popcorn hour works good on HD files.But if you have enough cash you could buy a dreambox.
Actually it is called dreamx

http://www.gamestron.com/renewedxbox.html
Rookie Wrote:Actually it is called dreamx

http://www.gamestron.com/renewedxbox.html

From the website.
Quote:Availability: Sorry we are currently not shipping this option.

Availability: Sorry, This item is sold out. No ETA.

Personally, for the $400 they are asking (For something they don't have ) I could do better myself..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best H.264 720p playback replacement for XBMC on Xbox?0