Equal pictuer and sound quality as origianl ATV
I still not even have a week of experience with ATV and XBMC. I used a modded Xbox 1 before...

When reading though various posts, I got the impression, that people are facing different issues with picture quality specially when going to the limits as 720p.

My discoveries:

- vertical glitches - not constant, but often on camera moves and zooming
- AC3 - Quality issues, such as voices hard to understand

I used a DVD Rip (Handbrake) in h.264 ATV profile.
To directly compare between the original movie player from ATV and XBMC.

BTW. the same behavior I found when playing the ISO image on the XBMC.

Is it at all achievable to get the same picture/sound quality as on the original software?
Did Apple so much of optimization of their player to that hardware?

Just wondering... cheers, netewho
Quote:- vertical glitches - not constant, but often on camera moves and zooming

turn on "vsync"

Quote:- AC3 - Quality issues, such as voices hard to understand

not a clue Smile I would need to get a sample of the video content you are playing.
Thanks, I'll try the v-sync option...

For the AC-3 issue, it's only obvious if you compare it with the "standard" ATV player. I'm not aware of any h.264 "stream copy" capable video cutter software, so would have to update the 1.9GB movie....

Cheers, netwho
netwho Wrote:Thanks, I'll try the v-sync option...

For the AC-3 issue, it's only obvious if you compare it with the "standard" ATV player. I'm not aware of any h.264 "stream copy" capable video cutter software, so would have to update the 1.9GB movie....

Cheers, netwho

just use "split" (osx/linux see "man split") and cut the first 50-100 MBs. PM me for a private ftp server for upload.
It looks like the vsync did it!! Strange, that other people sugguested to turn that off (which it was).

The split doesn't work, as I expected.
I veryfied - The decoder (QT/VLC) because of the wrong EOF marker...
Any other idea which doesn't need to recode?

Regards, Walter
davilla Wrote:just use "split" (osx/linux see "man split") and cut the first 50-100 MBs. PM me for a private ftp server for upload.

I did PM you with a URL for a downlaodable...

Cheers, netwho
If you also change your advancedsettings.xml from 48 to 8 it will fix the blocky look in your video's. You will not believe the change in quality. Night and Day.

I also use Handbrake with h.264 to encode and was having very rough looking videos playing them through XBMC but they would look great playing from Apple TV Main Menu.
Again change your advancedsettings.xml (skiploopfilter) from 48 to 8.

I encode H.264 w/bit rate averaging 1800-2600. Giving me file size from 1.7g-2.8g.
Thanks for the hint - I'll defunately give it a try, though I never had square artefacts so far...

Chers, netwho
Can somebody please tell me were the vsync is ?
I expect you figured in the meantime :-) xbmc -> settings -> appearance -> screen -> vertical blank.

Cheers
netwho Wrote:I expect you figured in the meantime :-) xbmc -> settings -> appearance -> screen -> vertical blank.

Cheers

Yes i did but thanks for the reply. I'm still having problems with the 720p play back and even with some xvids i get a slight jump in the film now and again. Is this usual for xvids?? Only asking because i'm a noob to this!!!
This thread is quite old, but it looks like the right area to post, without starting a new thread on the same subject. I backed up my DVDs to ISO using DVDfab5. They play fine in XBMC on my P.C., but I get an error when I try to stream them to my Apple TV. I can see the ISO on ATV, but it will not play, it just gives me an error of to many failed attempts.
Anyone have any idea why this will not work?

XP Media center edition SP3
2wire wireless gateway
Latest XBMC patch 4 ATV
Using XBMC server

Log: http://pastebin.com/m17e62b31

I had this posted in another area, but I think I posted in the wrong place, and this one is more appropriate. (Sorry 4 multiple posts on the same subject.... (Smee))

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Equal pictuer and sound quality as origianl ATV0