Port XBMC to run on the WD TV Media Player (Western Digital WDTV)?
You do realize that XBMC Live has linux running in the background, dont you?
You need a PC to run Live and WD HD it's just another SIGMA chip, it's NOT a PC.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Nice to see it is available now, with NIC, it is almost another XBOX. And so far, XBOX is bit slow when playing most of the media now.
It needs 2 usb ports to be of use. One for usb wireless or ethernet and the second for usb key for xbox live to run on.

This is the type of thing that looks like a lovely platform to use. oh well.

Roy
wouldn't a usb expander do the trick then?
This thing actually DOES have 2 usb ports( one back, one side) they just do a piss poor job of taking photos/promoting it.

I too agree that this form factor does seem like it would be awesome for xbmc (linux). You could use one usb port for the network adapter, and the other for a wired/wireless mouse+keyboard.

Honestly though guys, I don't see this thing ever having xbmc on it. I guarantee that they get 1080p mkv out their with some damn fine optimization, as they're certainly not fitting top notch hardware in that little box.

Short of them upgrading the hell out of it, I don't see any way that XBMC could run on here unless we get gpu acceleration working like a dream, which still is no where near usable, and may never be.

Here's hoping though....
(prays to dev gods) Wink
WD TV its just another SIGMA chip, its a video player NOT a PC, so it will never run a program like XBMC or a OS.
Maybe a xbmc like skin could be made but nothing more.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Hacking as began on this device ... http://root.unknown.sk/wdtv/wiki/doku.php ..

Permanent flash into WDTV dont need USB-HDD/KEY plugged in WDTV
Adds CD/DVD support for external optical drives
Adds support for ext2 and ext3 partitions, with hotplugging
usb ethernet support (ext3-boot supported devices)
NFS share mounting
pureFTP server
telnet server
app.bin loading
osd overlay loading
WDTV Optware loading
Smile 
xbs08 Wrote:WD TV its just another SIGMA chip, its a video player NOT a PC, so it will never run a program like XBMC or a OS.
Maybe a xbmc like skin could be made but nothing more.

I personally like this one a lot better and it sexier too (more expensive also, but you get what you pay for).
I love the picture where it's stuck on the back of the display. Nod

http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

This is not to bad either:

http://www.habeyusa.com/new/20090320.html
My brother in law bought one, liked it at first but shortcomings such as no network and no DTS support caused him to sell it and ask me to build an xbmc box.
philter Wrote:My brother in law bought one, liked it at first but shortcomings such as no network and no DTS support caused him to sell it and ask me to build an xbmc box.

Should of waited since it now available via unofficial firmware.
CrashX Wrote:Should of waited since it now available via unofficial firmware.

For me it seems most people don't search the net very carefully.
If you need Lan support, take the Buffalo LinkTheater HD (LT-H90LAN), not the WD player. No hacking needed. What am I missing?

NerdNerd
>What am I missing?

Well, mkv support, for one. WiFi support, for another. Built-in storage, for another. At the price point of $156-222, it's for techno-nots who buy on buzzwords.

1080p support is gonna be a common feature, now that online videos are getting popular. "Dumb" boxes like these will be a dime a dozen. The problem that none of the current ones solve isn't 1080p, but network bandwidth. 802.11n may not reliably carry a single 1080 HD stream, let alone multiple streams. Any solution that does streaming will need to tackle the bandwidth issue. My guess is that we'll see a bunch of proprietary stuff, from MoCA to Powerline to UWB to WUSB yada yada. The only sure thing that exists today is a Cat5E wired network with a gigabit router and NICs.

Getting back to the boxes, the best solution hands down is a "smart" box, i.e. an actual x86 computer capable of running a standard OS. That way, you will always be able to update to whatever codec or function you need. The Ion will be available round summer, and I'm sure AMD will have its own comparable small HTPC solution. The downside is that it's a PC, and will appeal to techs more than regular joes. Then again, by reading this, you are already geek-qualified.
>What am I missing?

Well, mkv support, for one. WiFi support, for another. Built-in storage, for another. At the price point of $156-222, it's for techno-nots who buy on buzzwords.

1080p support is gonna be a common feature, now that online videos are getting popular. "Dumb" boxes like these will be a dime a dozen. The problem that none of the current ones solve isn't 1080p, but network bandwidth. 802.11n may not reliably carry a single 1080 HD stream, let alone multiple streams. Any solution that does streaming will need to tackle the bandwidth issue. My guess is that we'll see a bunch of proprietary stuff, from MoCA to Powerline to UWB to WUSB yada yada. The only sure thing that exists today is a Cat5E wired network with a gigabit router and NICs.

Getting back to the boxes, the best solution hands down is a "smart" box, i.e. an actual x86 computer capable of running a standard OS. That way, you will always be able to update to whatever codec or function you need. The Ion will be available round summer, and I'm sure AMD will have its own comparable small HTPC solution. The downside is that it's a PC, and will appeal to techs more than regular joes. Then again, by reading this, you are already geek-qualified.
New link for Unofficial Firmware .. http://www.wdtvforum.com/wiki/doku.php ..
Someone mentioned on a previous page that the firmware supports DTS downmixing now...I do not see that feature in the wiki page.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on the WD TV Media Player (Western Digital WDTV)?0