Resume video/music playback on startup (like car-stereo's memory feature)
no, there is no resume after reboot.

** edit **
but, it may be possible with a playlist and a python script to fake it. python has access to the currently playing song so it could keep writing the current song into a text file. then on reboot, autoexec.py could process the playlist, skipping until it gets to the last song that was recorded, and resume playing from there.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
thank you for your reply. i don't know python but i guess now's going to be the time to learn. i imagine this would be a stupid simple feature to impliment natively if a dev wouldn't mind taking the time.

i'll look into it and post what i come up with if i can figure something out via python.

thanks again for your reply!

***edit***
mods could you move this to the feature request forum? thanks!

it's been a few months and i haven't been able to get this resolved. any chance this can get rolled into a cvs? thanks in advance.
bump. if anyone has any information on how to impliment this via python (i tried the script posted earlier in this thread and it's buggy to say the least) or some other way could you please reply? thanks in advance for your help.
i'm just like herpes, i won't go away. anyway, if anyone can take a look at this i'd be willing to give my first born to get a resolution to this! thanks!
you could consider to not shutting down your xbox. lol :p .

(use pauze)

sollie
really this feature should be implemented.

tons of people like myself have xbmc in our car and when starting up going through a whole list of albums is tedious.

anyone who is fluent with python, can you tell me why this script only works the first time and never again? it seems like a problem with writing over a file if it only works the very first time.

Quote:import xbmc
import os
from time import *

try:
lastfh = open( 'q:\\scripts\\currentfile.txt', 'r' )
lines = lastfh.readlines()
trackfile = lines[0].rstrip(" \n")
trackpos = lines[1].rstrip(" \n")
lastfh.close()
xbmc.player().play(trackfile)
xbmc.player().seektime(float(trackpos))
except:
file = 'q:\\scripts\\startupmp3\\startup.mp3'
xbmc.player().play(file)

sleeptime = time()+10
while true:
if time() < sleeptime:
sleep(1)
else:
if xbmc.player().isplaying():
filehandle = open( 'q:\\scripts\\currentfile.txt', 'w' )
filehandle.write( xbmc.player().getplayingfile() + "\n" )
filehandle.write( str(xbmc.player().gettime()) )
filehandle.flush()
filehandle.close()
else:
try:
os.remove('q:\\scripts\\currentfile.txt')
except oserror:
sleep(1)
sleeptime = time()+10
Lightbulb 
back for the millionth time. please please please, can someone take a look at this. i will toss in my second born now for a resolution to this problem!
another month, another round of begging for this to be implimented. Image
mess, i want to support you in this "quest".

right now the only feature i miss in xbmc is music playback resume on reboot.

the xbox is my main living room media center. sometimes i want to play music for a short time, for example while having breakfast, but i have to switch on the tv, navigate through the menus, choose what to play... so most mornings i leave the xbox off. it wouldn't be the same if i only had to power on the console and the amp... just like i used to do with my old stereo.

of course i'm not demanding anything, i'm only suggesting what imho is the feature which would make xbmc absolutely perfect.

greetings!!!

(percebal @ june 15 2006,00:38 Wrote:mesh, i want to support you in this "quest".

right now the only feature i miss in xbmc is music playback resume on reboot.

the xbox is my main living room media center. sometimes i want to play music for a short time, for example while having breakfast, but i have to switch on the tv, navigate through the menus, choose what to play... so most mornings i leave the xbox off. it wouldn't be the same if i only had to power on the console and the amp... just like i used to do with my old stereo.

of course i'm not demanding anything, i'm only suggesting what imho is the feature which would make xbmc absolutely perfect.

greetings!!!
hey, thanks for the support. really, for the kind of refinement that xbmc is at right now. this really seems pretty rudimentary. but, like i said, i would really, really love for some developer to take this on! i would be eternally greatful!

thanks again for the support! :kickass:
for anyone that happens upon this thread, it was started almost exactly 2 years ago. compare how many thread views this one has had to the other requests on this board. :verysad:

sourceforge.net - feature request page

please! hook up a resume! :lookaround:

:help:

Exclamation 
hi all.

i'm putting my second x-box in my car, connected to my navi lcd.

it'll be used for video, when i'll be stopped or when the passenger looknig at, and for this is enough the remote...

but when i'm alone it'll be used for music. i can start a random song when xbmc start... but i'll be really better if i can resume the last song and start form when it stopped.

i can understand that, since i "kill" the power, the xbox cannot remember the time... but at least the last song in the playlist or in the folder i'm playing...

ok, amplying...

the best thing at all will be:
build a system mode, whe can call it "car mode", with this:

1) modified skin, without graphic, but better navigation, grater font and a little place with the album cover, or the equalizer, or the video playing... in car you have a small lcd, from 4" to 7" usualy...

2) a system that, during playing, record in the hd the track playing, the configuration, and, second by second, the time of the track, so, when i shutdown, i always have track of my music, and when i power on, i auto-resume the song and start playing... with all the parameters i was using...

3) an additional system info. in car i can use th xbox as a pc, using it for storing info i can need in my car. witch info?

contacts, most of all with the address and the indication for driving right into their kitchen....
for who don't have a navi the map and driving info... imagine, i go on... http:://www.viamichelin.com ? i search for a driving direction, then i save the html page and move this to the xbox. then i simply scroll down the page and have all the info i need...
text reader...
simply plug-n-play for usb connection... and copying file tool from usb to hd...
photo viewer...

3) (cooool) a sync system. i can plug my ethernet cable or, better, use my wireless lan, to sync all the hing i want: music, video, games, images, info...

this can also be used in home, specialy for who can connect xbox to small lcd video and use this as an hi-fi...

this is enough for you?!?!?
hey, i think it would be a good idea in XBMC to be able to enable a memory feature. So when you turn off your xbox playing half way through a song/movie. When you turn it on the next time it remembers this and reloads back to the same place and carries on playing the media. This could be done by XBMC exporting this information to a xml or something just before it is shut down or on a regular basis (every 10 secs) or something so if xbox is shut down suddenly it can still remember, and when XBMC is loaded up again it imports the data from the xml and carries on.

Just an idea, would be handy for when i put the xbox in the car and use it for my music etc. So acc is switches off and when it is switched on again, it goes right back to the playlist or whatever i was on

Stan
one one side is people who ask: why must xbmc access the HDD ?

then we have people like you, who would like it to access it every 10 secs

L O L

after 2.0 we plan to add virtual memory support, then this can be done aswell
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resume video/music playback on startup (like car-stereo's memory feature)0