upnp
hey guys

quick question

so im running atv with xbmc - and i noticed some slight lags/fast/slow movements when i watch mkv 720 rips - ive been connecting via smb and someone suggested i should try it with upnp as it may be a lil quicker - any ideas?

i tried eyeconnect and it works but it seems to not play mkv? it only sees my avis etc

any thoughts or help?

thanks
i also had the same problem with playback over 802.11g wireless network and found that playing movies via upnp was much faster.
i tried eyeconnect as well but it does not support mkv.

an alternative upnp server for mac is mediatomb.
i tried it but i found it too hard to set up. but apparently it supports mkv.

http://mediatomb.cc

hopefully it works for you.

in the end i gave up trying to play movies over wireless network and stuck all my movies/tv shows on a usb drive which is plugged into the appletv.

edit: or you could install xbmc on your mac and have it run a upnp server.
hmm

i put xbmc on my mac and ran the server but it seems to be the same issue doesnt do mkv

am i doing something wrong?
not sure, im able to watch mkv on xbmc from a pc laptop while appletv is running upnp server so i imagine it wouldnt be too different.
its weird cuz when i look thru my dirs on smb i can click on an unrared mkv and itll unrar mount and play but when i do it upnp it doesnt even let me open the folder the only way i am able to play those files is in library mode

any ideas?
so these mkvs are rar'd?
i doubt that upnp will be able to unrar for you as you play so try unraring manually and leave in your movies folder.
unrared it and put it in the root

same thing - plays in library mode but not in file view...but it does play in both if i do it via smb

any ideas?
my playback on my large 720 rips is much smoother on upnp which is why im trying to make that work
docbrown Wrote:not sure, im able to watch mkv on xbmc from a pc laptop while appletv is running upnp server so i imagine it wouldnt be too different.

that makes sense

i have my macpro set as the server while streaming to the apple tv - when i launch xbmc on the macpro ..it plays the mkv perfectly fine ...when on the atv..it plays the mkv files with SMB almost fine..slight laggin...but when i do it with upnp ..it doesnt play the mkv files at all in list view..but does play it in library mode...and i can tell that upnp will solve my problem i just need to get it to work in the list mode

any thoughts?
i actually experience the reverse. i access my upnp library from list view not library. as the only content i view from the pc laptop is the upnp shares, it does not allow me to enter library view.
im sure you have already done this, but just incase, have you added a upnp source on your appletv?
docbrown Wrote:i actually experience the reverse. i access my upnp library from list view not library. as the only content i view from the pc laptop is the upnp shares, it does not allow me to enter library view.
im sure you have already done this, but just incase, have you added a upnp source on your appletv?

i actually dont think i have

can you please explain what you mean
ok ill just start from the beginning.

1. turn on upnp server in xbmc on mac

2. point it to the movies/tv shows directory you want to serve via upnp
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=UPnP_Sharing...es_in_XBMC

3. on your appletv access the context menu and add source

4. make sure the type is upnp and point it to the upnp server
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Adding_Media...ntext_Menu
docbrown Wrote:ok ill just start from the beginning.

1. turn on upnp server in xbmc on mac

2. point it to the movies/tv shows directory you want to serve via upnp
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=UPnP_Sharing...es_in_XBMC

3. on your appletv access the context menu and add source

4. make sure the type is upnp and point it to the upnp server
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Adding_Media...ntext_Menu

ya ya got that - thats what i did originally im saying the mkv files arent being shared correctly when i access via upnp but if i do it in smb it plays fine...when in list mode...

so like im in list mode and im using smb..i see the mkv..hit play..when im connected via upnp i see the folder that the mkv is in..but xmbc does not let me open that folder to go into it and play the mkv file

does that make sense? is there any specific access restrictions that im missing somewhere on the upnp settings?
ravidium Wrote:ya ya got that - thats what i did originally im saying the mkv files arent being shared correctly when i access via upnp but if i do it in smb it plays fine...when in list mode...

so like im in list mode and im using smb..i see the mkv..hit play..when im connected via upnp i see the folder that the mkv is in..but XBMC does not let me open that folder to go into it and play the mkv file

does that make sense? is there any specific access restrictions that im missing somewhere on the upnp settings?

I am having the same issue accessing MKV and mp4 via upnp. Neither Boxee or XMBC can even open the folder containing these files. Does anyone have a solution? It works fine if the files are stored locally on my ATV.
same problem? does it work fine with smb?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
upnp0