[AppleTV] Streaming movies from NAS to XBMC vs. Boxee
I have been using XBMC on my ATV for a couple of weeks now. Since I have used XBMC for a couple of years on my modded Xbox, I was excited to learn about the new version for the ATV. However, streaming my DVDs that I store on my NAS is very slow to start the movie (usually about 60 seconds from the time I select the movie). The movies are stored in VOBs.

Tonight after hearing an interview with the Boxee developer, I decided to try it out (I had been ignoring it on the ATV even though I already had access to the alpha). I added my NAS to the source list and it began to scan my folders. I inadvertently selected a movie from my NAS and it began to play within 5 seconds! I thought I must have been streaming from the internet so I selected another movie and sure enough it started playing back in 4-5 seconds.

My question is, could there be a setting I am missing in XBMC that is keeping my movies from playing more quickly? Or is there a difference in how XBMC and Boxee handle these type of network requests? I would prefer to use XBMC but my wife and kids are never sure if the movie they selected is going to play or if they need to keep selecting it. Having Boxee start so quickly is making me think I may have to make it our default program to use for movie viewing.

Hopefully it is something I am missing or perhaps something internally in Boxee that can be incorporated into XBMC.

Thanks as always for everyone's hard work and dedication to the project!
did you tried with another skin like PM3HD Huh
^tWiSt^ Wrote:did you tried with another skin like PM3HD Huh

Good idea - no I haven't but will try today and report back (I've been using MediaStream).
im confused - why would the skin impact the playback speed?
ravidium Wrote:im confused - why would the skin impact the playback speed?

well mediastream is much heavier (but also nicer IMO) than PM3 and in an HW like ATV that is already "on the edge" it can impact.
really? hmmm

mediastream for sure is nicer ill play aorund with it

all my stuff plays great just sometimes the 720 rips go too fast or two slowa nd then get back in sync
its because the xbox1 has l33t rar file system that the designers do not care to implement because there clearly are no warez d00ds that would use xbmc (on any other platform).

boxee and the t3ch builds are definitely more elite-oriented Smile

go search for a thread called rarfs and bring it back from the dead you can read about their priorities.
Tried changing the skin and playing another movie but it still took over 50 seconds to start. I think I may have found out how Boxee is streaming so quickly. When I select a movie in Boxee, it shows the status bar which has the length of the movie. But instead of showing the movie's full length, it is only showing what appears to be the length of the first VOB file (so, for example, it shows the length being 6:27). So instead of buffering the entire movie as it appears XBMC is doing, Boxee seems to only buffer the first VOB. Not sure if that is by design or by chance. The good thing is that once the first VOB file ends, it continues playing the rest of the movie without any issues.
ATV shouldn't take 60 seconds to load a DVD image. Mine start in ~5 seconds off my NAS device. I use NFS mounts instead of SMB because I did find SMB too slow to load but I never tried to fix it and use NFS now. Also, I use .iso images instead of leaving it in files.
mrkrad Wrote:its because the xbox1 has l33t rar file system that the designers do not care to implement because there clearly are no warez d00ds that would use xbmc (on any other platform).

boxee and the t3ch builds are definitely more elite-oriented Smile

go search for a thread called rarfs and bring it back from the dead you can read about their priorities.

what exactly do you mean by this?

i noticed that when i use upnp my xbmc has probs with opening rars..i have to unrar it on my desktop tehn open it..

is this related?
can anyone tell me how i can get a boxee invite?
i just install the patchit in my ATV but how i get the invite to boxee so this can work great
thank you

gilbreen Wrote:I have been using XBMC on my ATV for a couple of weeks now. Since I have used XBMC for a couple of years on my modded Xbox, I was excited to learn about the new version for the ATV. However, streaming my DVDs that I store on my NAS is very slow to start the movie (usually about 60 seconds from the time I select the movie). The movies are stored in VOBs.

Tonight after hearing an interview with the Boxee developer, I decided to try it out (I had been ignoring it on the ATV even though I already had access to the alpha). I added my NAS to the source list and it began to scan my folders. I inadvertently selected a movie from my NAS and it began to play within 5 seconds! I thought I must have been streaming from the internet so I selected another movie and sure enough it started playing back in 4-5 seconds.

My question is, could there be a setting I am missing in XBMC that is keeping my movies from playing more quickly? Or is there a difference in how XBMC and Boxee handle these type of network requests? I would prefer to use XBMC but my wife and kids are never sure if the movie they selected is going to play or if they need to keep selecting it. Having Boxee start so quickly is making me think I may have to make it our default program to use for movie viewing.

Hopefully it is something I am missing or perhaps something internally in Boxee that can be incorporated into XBMC.

Thanks as always for everyone's hard work and dedication to the project!
gotta go to the website and sign up for an acct - i signed up a week ago and ihavent recent it yet - they said a few weeks

thats the only i know of unless you can use someone else accts
pm me with email for invite.
or post in this thread http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=9...ht=invites
Did anyone ever find a solution to the initial problem? I'm experiencing the same problems on my ATV where I'll select a movie and it takes about 60 seconds before it starts playback. Video playback also seems to stop after about 5 minutes with some error message.

I have Windows file shares set up on my PC and am connected wirelessly and usually try to play back .vob files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Streaming movies from NAS to XBMC vs. Boxee0